Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
I fall in your (e.g. "cheapo") camp, and quite proud of it - thank you very much...

DW does not drink coffee at all (tea, iced or hot). I, on the other hand have my two "mugs" in the morning which are supplied by my trusty "Mr. Coffee" (e.g. 4 cup = 2 mugs). That's the only coffee I drink the entire day.

While I do like these new gizmo's (I've used them while traveling, or know other folks that have them), I'm not a "coffee snob" and satisified with my home brewed Folgers ...

Different strokes....
Gotta admit that I'm right there with you ~ even down to the Mr. Coffee and the Folgers! BUT....

I'm gonna be a LB(eyond)YMs'er for this one....headed out now to buy my very own BD present....$129 at my local Sam's Club....

Thanks for all of your comments ~ especially those of you who actually have one of these

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #42

We have a Keurig one-cup machine, works well, but I still waste $3 on Starbucks anyway...just not the same I guess. Tassimo makes a machine that will do cappucinos and latte's too. There was a thread recently on Slickdeals on how to get one for $70-80 instead of the normal $150-200 price.

Link here: Tassimo Brewer $68.99 AR/AC + $20 Kohls cash (for cardholders, starts 12/14) - Slickdeals.net

Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Thanks for all of your comments ~ especially those of you who actually have one of these
Oh, wait, was that a requirement?
I've always got an opinion, even if I don't have experience!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's a whole site dedicated to single-serve coffee machines, and it's called (drum roll) singleservecoffee.com.

I own two Tassimo machines: one at home, one in the office. Its advantage over the others is that it also makes excellent tea, latte, and hot chocolate. You can make chocolate followed by tea, and there is no chocolate residue in the tea. I suspect that in a blind test the coffee might come out a few basis points behind the Nespresso, but as a family machine (kids love it for the chocolate, teenage girls like the flavoured teas, and it's pretty much foolproof and unbreakable), or for the office where you want to be able to serve anything people might ask for, it's a superb all-round choice.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #45
Dryer sheet aficionado

I bought the Sam's Club Keurig machine a month or two ago. It comes with 60 K-cups, and the "My K-cup" that you can fill with your own coffee. I am the only coffee drinker in my house, and I value my sleep far too much to get up 10 minutes early to make coffee. I usually sleep in until the last minute, then run out the door. The Keurig has been awesome because it is so fast, and makes just one cup. I prefer to use the refillable k-cup with my own coffee. Cleanup is very brief (1 minute?), and I'm not wasting a whole pot of coffee worth of beans for 1 cup of coffee. We have probably 50 k-cups left of the 60 that it came with, and the bag of coffee beans I buy at Sam's Club last much longer since I'm using one cup's worth of beans at a time, instead of a whole pot worth, and throwing away the unused coffee.

If it broke today, I'd get it warrantied. If it broke the day after the warranty expired, I'd buy another one.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Oh, wait, was that a requirement?
I've always got an opinion, even if I don't have experience!
If experience was a requirement, this forum would either have few posters, or it would just die.

I see a lot of posts of pre-retirees (especially from the "young folks") talking about what retirement is all about, and how they will plan for it.

Being actually retired (for a few years), I just read - and laugh ...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonkey View Post
I bought the Sam's Club Keurig machine a month or two ago. It comes with 60 K-cups, and the "My K-cup" that you can fill with your own coffee. I am the only coffee drinker in my house, and I value my sleep far too much to get up 10 minutes early to make coffee.
I live alone and when I was w*rking, I would get up at 5:30 AM when the alarm rang and start the coffee. While it was brewing, I would shower and dress and brush my hair and teeth. Then I would grab a "car mug" of coffee on the way out the door, 20 minutes after the alarm. I would drink some of it in the car while driving the 6 minutes to work, some while walking across the parking lot and in the elevator, and finish it after signing in at work at 6:00 AM. Sounds like you have a pretty good system going, too.

Did I mention that I ***LOVE*** being retired? Wow. I had almost forgotten about all that, and it has been only a year.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Did I mention that I ***LOVE*** being retired?
It sounds so nice when you say it........come on............say it again, I may have missed it the first time.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #49

I use a Melitta manual coffeemaker. It is just a carafe topped with a funnel that contains filter and grounds. Always use freshly ground Columbian Supremo beans and sometimes Community to remind me of Louisiana.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
...it has been only a year.
Novice ...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
It sounds so nice when you say it........come on............say it again, I may have missed it the first time.
Sorry if I sound like a one track record! I am just so amazed at how much fun it is to be retired (for me, anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Novice ...
So true! I am but a grasshopper and have much to learn....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I use a Melitta manual coffeemaker. It is just a carafe topped with a funnel that contains filter and grounds. Always use freshly ground Columbian Supremo beans and sometimes Community to remind me of Louisiana.
Just what I was gonna say...much cheaper too. I have the $3.00 jobber (the first one) Kinda how they make coffee in Brazil. (not a cloth bag, but, pretty much the same principle)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 cup coffee maker.jpg (50.7 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg coffee maker 2.jpg (40.1 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg coffee maker 3.jpg (39.2 KB, 236 views)
Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #53

My inner cheapskate won't allow me to go the K-cup route, Especially since I drink a whole 12-cup pot every day all by myself.

We get free coffee at work, and it's as good as what we pay for it.

The work coffee is manufactured synthetically at Dow Chemical from tar-sand residue. Then it's brewed once a year (or however long it lasts) in million gallon vats before it is shipped to our facility through a lead pipe. We get the coffee out of the spigot and heat it directly in asbestos lined containers using a welding torch. Needless to say it's really bad, but hey - It's free so drink up.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonkey View Post
I bought the Sam's Club Keurig machine a month or two ago. It comes with 60 K-cups, and the "My K-cup" that you can fill with your own coffee. I am the only coffee drinker in my house, and I value my sleep far too much to get up 10 minutes early to make coffee. I usually sleep in until the last minute, then run out the door. The Keurig has been awesome because it is so fast, and makes just one cup. I prefer to use the refillable k-cup with my own coffee. Cleanup is very brief (1 minute?), and I'm not wasting a whole pot of coffee worth of beans for 1 cup of coffee. We have probably 50 k-cups left of the 60 that it came with, and the bag of coffee beans I buy at Sam's Club last much longer since I'm using one cup's worth of beans at a time, instead of a whole pot worth, and throwing away the unused coffee.

If it broke today, I'd get it warrantied. If it broke the day after the warranty expired, I'd buy another one.
Saved me a lot of writing -- I also got the Sam's Keurig machine with 60 K cups, and have used both the supplied cups and made my own coffee to much satisfaction. I am only one, and even then, I have coffee only once or twice a week, and even then, only one cup, perhaps two. But when I want it, I want it! This machine is perfect for me, and I will also use it for Tea and hot chocolate eventually. None of the three suppied flavors in K-cups was as good as fresh ground via the adapter, but it's great to have both options, especially when wanting minimal hassle on a bleary eyed morning.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mr Boston was given a mini version as a gift. We have priced the little Kcups online and gave that noise a solid on cost effectiveness.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #56

Quote:
I suppose those posting here would be horrified to know that I recently donated my Mr. Coffee to GoodWill, and I am using a Maxwell House coffee bag in one cup of microwaved water, for my allotted one cup of coffee these days.... honestly, with a shot of fresh creamer this coffee isn't that bad and it opens my eyes. Cleanup is non-existent.
Thanks for bringing this up. Those are suprisingly good - we bring them camping - so easy - boil water - and voila - add cocoa or coffee "bag" (sans the creamer!) and breakfast drink is ready in a min!

As for the Keurigs - won't turn a cup down from someplace else, but they just seem soooo wasteful (LBYM and "green" perspective)
Old 12-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
I don't find it all that difficult to make a pot of coffee in the "morning" (around Noon to 1pm) in our drip machine. The best coffee in the world IMHO costs less than 50cents for a full pot. If we each drink a cup, fine, got our money's worth in total enjoyment of a superior product, a superb experience. If we want refills, since we poured the remainder of the pot in the insulated carafe, it'll stay warm all day, but not get burned up sitting on a heating pad. So a cup is max 50 cents if just I have a cup out of a full pot. It may be less but I'm thinking I get at least 20 pots out of a bag of coffee beans that cost about 8 bucks on sale. If I'm wrong it's even cheaper. If some gets poured down the sink, so what? It's just really great coffee, and I can pick and choose the varieties that blow my dress up without limitation. Also if I'm really lazy I can set the timer to just start the machine at a predetermined time and wake up to that wonderful smell of fresh brewed SBC or whatever.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #58

Kuerig UPDATE!

FWIW ~ After 3+ weeks of ownership, I thought that I would update this thread with my experiences/opinions of my new Keurig single cup coffee maker. Being the ONLY coffee drinker under this roof, I was excited to have a new toy, but I have to admit that my LBYMs characteristic did cause me to have 2nd thoughts about this purchase....especially after I went online and bought several samples of various drinks available for it. With hot cocoa, apple cider, various teas and coffees all available, I quickly spent ANOTHER $75 on stuff that I wanted to try....or at least I thought that I did!

My thoughts ~

#1 ~ I LOVE it! The ease of making a cup of coffee without the thought of wasting the rest of a pot if I don't drink it is just one more thing that I don't have to think about during my day ~ not to mention the (sometimes) nagging question...."Did I turn off the coffee pot?"

#2 ~ Newest discovery ~ I have learned that I don't really like coffee!

OK....I know that may seem inconsistent with the rest of this thread but please allow me to explain.....

Evidently, I am NOT a coffee connoisseur ~ NOT even close! Most of the new coffees...heck what am I saying.....ALL of the coffees that I have tried in those little K-cups are MUCH stronger than anything that I'd prefer to drink WAAAYYYY too strong for me! Thank goodness for the reusable single My Cup that came with the machine. It allows me to make a cup of Folgers with a taste that I am used to.....(I take one smallish mug, fill the bottom of the cup with Splenda....add non dairy creamer...and with the cup already 1/4 full of "stuff", I then add my mild coffee )

For the miserly, wouldn't spend that kinda money on ANY coffee cost conscious drinkers here, I should say that I have learned to reuse the used K-cup holders after my visitors drink their favorite flavor....I find that if I remove the remnants of the top, wash out the cup and filter and let them dry, I can refill them with my trusty brand (about half full), cover the top with aluminum foil and (re)use them as if they were new! I try to wait until I have a half dozen or dry K-cups and have found them to be very handy ....

#3 ~ the variety when coupled with the ease of clean up is a definite plus when visitors are looking for something to warm them up.....while some prefer to grab their favorite coffee (or try something totally new), others raved over the tea, apple cider and even the hot cocoa.

My conclusion is that while I continue to enjoy the Keurig single cup coffee maker for those reasons mentioned above, I don't think that I would buy it again given my discovery about my personal taste for coffee....

It seems like my previous Mr. Coffee would still serve MY personal needs....even with the waste of leaving coffee in the pot, it would still be cheaper....still, the lack of cleanup and the variety for others is a big PLUS.....and who knows, maybe I will develop a taste for real coffee....someday!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, exactly the opposite of me. I can't find one that's strong enough! I recently tried a "jet fuel" k-cup at my brother-in-law's house and it was pretty good. Certainly not your cup of tea (er, coffee).

The apple cider is great, but it's best on the smallest cup size setting.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
I have learned to reuse the used K-cup holders after my visitors drink their favorite flavor....I find that if I remove the remnants of the top, wash out the cup and filter and let them dry, I can refill them with my trusty brand (about half full), cover the top with aluminum foil and (re)use them as if they were new! I try to wait until I have a half dozen or dry K-cups and have found them to be very handy ....
Well I'll be darned. Looks like you are not alone, even:

Kbrewlids home, refill and reseal your k-cups like new

How to Reuse K-Cups for a Great Cup of Coffee | eHow.com

How to Reuse K Cups

Refilling Keurig K-cups

Review: K Cup Injector for Keurig Brewers - Reuse Your K Cups | Single Serve Coffee - SingleServeCoffee.com