Keurig individual cup coffee maker? Anyone?

For the sort of palate described here by VaCollector and others, there's a much simpler, cheaper and tastier alternative: boil water (in a kettle, microwave, whatever) and get yourself a jar of Nescafé Taster's Choice or, if you're feeling flush (and if you can afford to squander money on K Cups, you are) some Starbucks Via Colombia or Italian Roast, preferably bought at Costco where price are lower. These premium instant coffees are way better than K-Cups, require no machine whatsoever, are portable and have limitless shelf life.

I LOVE Nescafe freeze dried instant coffee! I make it for myself in the morning when I visit my son (a non-coffee drinker). The jar has been in his cupboard for a couple of years now.

OK, I was intrigued by all the glowing reviews of the Aeropress, so I got one. Hard to say no at the price.

First, I agree it makes excellent coffee.

But honestly, I believe the main reason for all the comments about great coffee flavor is simply this:
If you follow the directions exactly and use the included scoop, many folks may be using the proper amount of coffee for the first time in their life. Most use far too little, which is the source of the weak, insipid excuse for coffee in most restaurants.

OK, I was intrigued by all the glowing reviews of the Aeropress, so I got one. Hard to say no at the price.

But honestly, I believe the main reason for all the comments about great coffee flavor is simply this:
If you follow the directions exactly and use the included scoop, many folks may be using the proper amount of coffee for the first time in their life. Most use far too little, which is the source of the weak, insipid excuse for coffee in most restaurants.

Quite possibly true. But it makes the right amount for one or two people, it is good, it is cheap, it is quick, and cleanup is very quick and easy. I formerly used a stovetop Bialetti espresso maker, which also demands using a lot of coffee. They are about equal in quality, but prep and cleanup is much qicker with the Aeropress. Also, I think using a filter as you do with Aeropress may be a bit healthier.

Ha

Cheap (but good enough) grinder?

Anyone have a good recc for a grinder for the Aeropress (I'd generally make coffee, not 'espresso')?

From what I've seen, the cheapest grinders that seem to do the job are far more $ than the Aeropress. I'm still using a whirly-blade grinder, and I know that is frowned upon by the coffee geeks. I do have a fine burr grinder for Turkish, but I can't seem to get it adjusted to coarse enough for what this would take.

Here's the one I've seen used in an Aeropress video - $48.50 :

Amazon.com: Hario Coffee Hand Grinder Skerton: Home & Garden

31Pc3TWV5nL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-ERD50

I just use the rotary grinder. I doubt I could tell a difference. ( though others might well!)If you buy this one, please report on your opinions?

Ha

I think using a filter as you do with Aeropress may be a bit healthier.

Nah!
You want some of that grit in your gizzard. My grandmother always said "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die."

Took me years before I learned what a peck is (an eighth of a bushel), and I still don't know what her line meant.

Will I die the instant I eat the last grain of dirt that makes a peck?
Will I live longer if I avoid dirt and keep my intake under a peck?
Is there a requirement that I consume an entire peck before I'm allowed to hang it up?

Very mysterious.

But my grandmother was never willing to explain. Her other oft-repeated line was "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies."

Nah!
You want some of that grit in your gizzard. My grandmother always said "You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die."

Took me years before I learned what a peck is (an eighth of a bushel), and I still don't know what her line meant.

Will I die the instant I eat the last grain of dirt that makes a peck?
Will I live longer if I avoid dirt and keep my intake under a peck?
Is there a requirement that I consume an entire peck before I'm allowed to hang it up?

Very mysterious.

But my grandmother was never willing to explain. Her other oft-repeated line was "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies."
I heard both of these as a child. From the context, I think it meant the body and psyche are stronger than they might appear so get on with it. Kind of like "a person takes a lot of killing".

The "tell you no lies" is very interesting too. It may mean that most anything is open to interpretation, including what is and is not true.

Ha

Anyone have a good recc for a grinder for the Aeropress (I'd generally make coffee, not 'espresso')?
I like "Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill (CCM-16PC1)", which is now $43.54 from Amazon. I can't say how it will work with the Aeropress, but I've used it for several months for simple pour-over coffee making using a cone filter, and with a Cuisinart drip machine. Comments from other users suggest it works better with a paper filter (what I use) than in an espresso machine, since it leaves some coffee powder in the grind. For a burr grinder, it's quite cheap.

I've been using the Capresso Infinity burr grinder with my AeroPress for about 5 years now. It may be on the expensive side (~$85) but is well built and you can adjust the grind coarseness. To be honest I still have an old $10 blade grinder and there is nothing wrong with the way it grinds coffee beans other then the amount of beans you can grind at one time.

I agree and one of the problems with auto-drip coffee makers is that you don't get a good mixing of the water and coffee grounds and adding more coffee wouldn't help since it would likely lead to water overflowing over the coffee ground basket.

Last edited:
Braumeister, I think a peck is actually a quarter bushel if I remember grade school right.

-ERD50

I just use the rotary grinder. I doubt I could tell a difference. ( though others might well!)If you buy this one, please report on your opinions?

Ha

I've been using the Capresso Infinity burr grinder with my AeroPress for about 5 years now. It may be on the expensive side (~$85) but is well built and you can adjust the grind coarseness. To be honest I still have an old $10 blade grinder and there is nothing wrong with the way it grinds coffee beans other then the amount of beans you can grind at one time.

Thanks, i also found this googling (took me back to the Aeropress site):

Aerobie® AeroPress(TM) FAQ

3. I have a whirling blade grinder. Do I need to buy a more expensive grinder capable of a finer grind to fully enjoy coffee made in my AeroPress?

We've tested a number of these grinders and find that they work quite well but need to run a bit longer than their instructions suggest. Try about 30 seconds for two scoops. When the grind is fine enough for rich flavor it will tend to stick in the grinder because of static and you may have to help it out with a spoon.

Two scoops of a nice grind require about 20 to 30 seconds press time in the AeroPress. Coarser grinds will run through faster and make a slightly weaker cup.

I think I'll try the Aeropress out with my blade grinder (shredder) first then. If I end up using it often, I may upgrade, or just decide the blade is OK.

-ERD50

I have the Capresso too and really like it - the quality is much better then the one I had before which I think was Alpina.

The aeropress is fun to use and easy enough. I'm using less coffee then before because the drip was not doing a good job of getting all the good stuff out! I'm happy!

Biggest downside is all the parts - need to putem all somewhere nicely...

Braumeister, I think a peck is actually a quarter bushel if I remember grade school right.

There, you see?
My confusion continues to run rampant! :LOL:

Obviously, I was a liberal arts type and not a scientist. Guess I was thinking of 8 quarts to a peck. Thanks for the correction.

[sigh]

Back
Top Bottom