Join Early Retirement Today

Keurig individual cup coffee maker? Anyone?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Keurig individual cup coffee maker? Anyone?

I've been looking at the Keurig single cup coffee maker and thought that I would run it by the ER crowd hoping that someone here might have some experience with one!!

I like the thought of the instant variety as well as the apparent ease of clean up!

Any personal experiences?? Thanks!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DD just got one and they love it. Asked if we'd like one for Christmas. It will be interesting to see what everyone has to say.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #3

My brother and his DW do not drink coffee but they got one for their occasional house guests. I give it a thumbs up, maybe two.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd love it, if someone else was buying the little doohickies for me. But I can't possible justify it with my LBYM lifestyle. I've used other folks' models and thought it was quite nifty, but for everyday, I can't stomach buying the single serves.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

DW loves hers. Just be sure to get the refillable gizmo, and get your own coffee. I do use it at times, great.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had one for about a year and love it. I am the only coffee drinker in the house, and good for about 1 cup a day. I got tired of making a full pot, and wasting most.

I just pop the Kcup in and a few seconds later have an 8oz cup of coffee.

Pros:
Quick/Easy - Although, mine takes a few minutes to warm up in the morning. I think the more expensive models have timers. I have the base model.
Convenience - No messing with filters, filling, etc. Just pop a Kcup in, and press a button.

Cons:
Cost - Kcups average about $0.45-$0.50 per cup. Cheaper than 7-11, but more expensive than home brewed Folgers.
Taste - Coffee snobs will say the taste is unacceptable. I think the taste is good, not great, but good. I have been experimenting with different flavors, and it seems the bolder the better for me.
Waste- Some feel the plastic cups are adding to our landfill problems...

Would I buy one again - you betcha!
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
I've been looking at the Keurig single cup coffee maker and thought that I would run it by the ER crowd hoping that someone here might have some experience with one!!

I like the thought of the instant variety as well as the apparent ease of clean up!

Any personal experiences?? Thanks!!
Just bought DW a Nespresso machine for Christmas, she really liked the single-serve coffee concept when we were in Vienna last winter. It's one of the steps (intervention) in a secret twelve-step program to cure her Starbucks addiction.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #8

I used one when I was a houseguest earlier in the year. I liked it. It was nice to have all the choices/flavors for a single cup....something different for sure. I am sort of a dull creature of habit, though, and as I have a good coffee maker I won't be replacing it anytime soon. I think it would be a fun thing if you entertain frequently.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Last year I gave DH a Keurig for his "office" in our house and he loves it (he drinks more coffee than I do so the single serve is perfect for him, and he likes the flavored stuff sometimes). And you can buy a refillable little coffee grounds holder at places like Bed Bath and Beyond, but he doesn't have one.

This year he's getting this Nespresso machine--maybe the same machine WesternSkies is giving his DW? DH really wanted an espresso machine last year but at the time they cost more than our refrigerator--this one is $249 including frother thingie, not as cool looking as the newer Nespresso but the same machine on the inside. Lattes for everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nespresso.jpg (4.0 KB, 280 views)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #10

We gave our DD/DSIL a Keurig for Xmas last year and they love it as well but they are more single cup drinkers. DW and I stayed at their place for about a week while they were vacationing and found it a bit of a hassle compared to having a pot of brewed coffee readily available. Even though the water reservoir is reasonable, it is amazing how often you have to fill it if you "have the habit".
So, if you like the convenience of having a pot of coffee readily avaiable to refill and go off to your activities, you may find it more hassle than fun. Makes decent coffee but as other posters noted, not cheap. Costco does sell both the brewer and refill in case sizes at better prices than most.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And you can buy a refillable little coffee grounds holder at places like Bed Bath and Beyond, but he doesn't have one.
I bought one of those when I originally got my unit. Haven't used since the first week I owned it. Filling it and cleaning it IMHO is a PITA.
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought one for my wife for Christmas last year.
I was against it because of how much it costs for the machine.
I use it at least once a day. I drink coffee, tea and hot chocolate from it.
If it broke tomorrow, I'd have amazon ship me another one.
My wife was right, I was wrong.

Amazon and kohl's have the k-cups on sale all the time so the price is a little better like 30 cents a cup.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think tgotch pretty well summed it up, I'd say the biggest downfall other then the initial price is the cost of the individual k cups, if you don't mind paying much more then the regular Folgers etc. I wonder what a cup of Folgers coffee actually costs, We buy the large size at costco and figure it's less then 10 cents a cup.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

If you use K-cups, it is the most expensive, most wasteful cup of coffee you can buy (not LBYM or "green"). But there's no denying the convenience, and if you're a lone coffee drinker it may make sense.

We buy premium coffee as whole beans (usually $11-12/lb), fresh grind and brew it ourselves --- K-cups are 2-3 times as costly and reportedly not as good (taste). Versus grocery store coffee, the Keurig is 4-5 times as costly!!! Keurig sells a filter to use your own coffee for another $16-20 bucks (what a racket IMO).

You can buy a great coffee machine for much less money, and they make small ones that will brew just a few cups effectively. And if the coffee taste is your ultimate goal, a french press is very cheap and you can brew individual cups with a small one.

Unless you're a lone coffee drinker, the Keurig and other single cup coffeemakers are just another fashionable, passing fad IMO. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I had a cup of this today, at my broker's. French roast. I make it 6 oz, so it is fairly strong. Not bad at all.

Ha
Old 12-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Administrator

We got one at least 5 years ago -- well before they were "in". It still makes a great cup of coffee. We buy the K-cups at Bed. Bath & Beyond. With coupons, we usually pay $8 for a box containing 18 of them, so it's about 44 cents a cup. If you get the little attachment to put in your own grind, it will be substantially less money over the long haul.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

From putting the K-Cup in the machine to drinking is 30 seconds if that.
Our machine is next to the sink so filling the reservoir up takes 5 seconds.

We do have a percolator that we use if having company over. What a mess that thing makes. As does the french press which was used twice because it's such a pain.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
As does the french press which was used twice because it's such a pain.
Since I brought it up, I won't dispute you there. However, I don't think any machine can beat the quality in taste that a french press properly done can. And a french press is the most cost effective, albeit not as convenient. Agreed a french press at work would be unworkable. I was not clear on what the OP's priorities are.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #19

I agree with Midpack a small french press is the way to go.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Husband and I used a Keurig coffee machine during a weekend at someone else's home. We agreed we don't want one, although we are big coffee/tea drinkers.
  • The coffee tasted fine, but we like a big cupful. 8 oz, to us, is medium.
  • Our Gevalia coffeemaker is negligibly less easy to use, and its water reservoir lasts as long as the Keurig's.
  • We like the taste of home-ground coffee.
  • 40-50 cents per cup is too much, especially when it comes to the teas.
  • When people say "K-cup" out loud, it sounds like they're discussing a gigantic brassiere.
Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote