Keurig individual cup coffee maker? Anyone?

I happen to love French press coffee too (especially when I get to be the one to push the press down) but I have to say in my experience the product is not to everyone's taste and it is certainly not as fast or convenient as the Keurig.

I remember my parents had a vacuum coffee maker that they used on the stove and that made the most satisfying sound when the water moved between the two chambers.

I suppose those posting here would be horrified to know that I recently donated my Mr. Coffee to GoodWill, and I am using a Maxwell House coffee bag in one cup of microwaved water, for my allotted one cup of coffee these days.... honestly, with a shot of fresh creamer this coffee isn't that bad and it opens my eyes. Cleanup is non-existent.

We also have the Keurig machine a work. The coffee as others have said is ok, but not great.

Ours probably makes 10 cups a day, and in the 6 months we've had it we have had to return 3 of the machines due to them breaking.

If what you want is the best possible 1-4 cup home brewer buy an Aeropress from Amazon and call it a day. If you want drip coffee ease, learn to boil water (ain't hard:D) and get one of these one cup cones from the best coffee info source on the web:

Bonmac #2 Single Hole Porcelain Filtercone - Pour-Over - Brewers

A small French Press (the "2 cup" or 12 fl. oz. size) is also a good choice. Keurig and the rest of the single cup brewers cost a fortune on a per cup basis and deliver mediocre coffee while trashing the environment. No plusses other than convenience, and if that's what you want go to Costco and buy Starbucks Via instant Colombian, which cost aside is actually quite good.

Wasn't the Aeropress getting good comments here about a year ago?

Amazon.com: Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining

AeroPress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheap, and you use your own beans, no 'pods'. Supposedly very easy to use and clean. I love my French Press, but cleaning is a bit of a pain. I may ask for an Aeropress, but I need a good burr grinder too - any suggestions?

-ERD50
My son has one of these, and I really like it. Better than the keurig under discussion. Once or twice he has made a mess by letting the cup or whatever-(I can't remember what catches the coffee) tip a bit as he pressed down and blewie! coffee all over the place!

Ha

One thing we have found to make a huge improvement in the taste of the coffee is using bottled water in the Keurig.

I'll represent the coffee snob. Freshly ground, French Press, precise temperature, etc. I think a french press is pretty easy to clean and quick.

That said, if coffee is an accessory and not something you want to be OCD about; the Keurig is fine as long as you are using the refillable piece and your own coffee. If I am somewhere and they have one; I won't turn down the coffee, it is pretty good.

One thing we have found to make a huge improvement in the taste of the coffee is using bottled water in the Keurig.

Gumby! For shame! What about the environment? You can't use bottled water, you're enabling the totalitarian oil regimes and threatening our childrens future! Everyone knows most tap water tastes like raw sewage, but we all have to do our part...:whistle:

My son has one of these, and I really like it. Better than the keurig under discussion. Once or twice he has made a mess by letting the cup or whatever-(I can't remember what catches the coffee) tip a bit as he pressed down and blewie! coffee all over the place!

Ha

Thanks, I think I'll try one out. I did read that it can be tippy, but they said to use a good wide based stable cup, and you do have to pay attention to avoid spills. But of course, if something can happen it will.

-ERD50

While replacing my old machine recently I went through a bad case of lust after a pod machine. "So pretty, so easy, so modern", I said to myself as I drooled over them. But while trying to decide which machine I wanted to buy I decided I wanted none of them.

The cost was a factor, but not the overriding one. I'm not a foo-foo flavor coffee kind of person, so any pods I would buy would contain the same kind of coffee readily available at the grocery store. Except I would be paying a heck of a lot more for the same coffee because it came in a pod. And I know I can make my own pod with the refillable thingie, but how is that very different than just using a drip grinder?

Ultimately I decided that I didn't want to invest that much money for just one way to make coffee. I'm not so much a coffee snob, but more of a coffee aficionado. My coffee drinking comes in different styles depending on my mood, setting, time available, etc. In the mornings it's usually some fresh ground run through a drip machine. Unless I'm leaving and in a hurry - in which case it's a Folger's bag with hot bottled water from the instant water heater on the coffee machine. In the evenings I might have espresso or latte from my espresso machine. Or a cold can of Starbucks double shot. Or a very dark mixture through the french press. Every now and again a White Russian does a nice stand in.

After reading this thread I feel the call for a nice Turkish coffee. Dark as hell and sweet as an angel's love. It's off to the kitchen to make it before pan rattling disturbs family members going to bed.

IMHO, the pod machines are great for people who are looking for convenience, don't really want to fuss with making a really good cup, or who like the occasional cup of Mocha/Macadamia Nut/Irish Cream/Hazelnut foo-foo not-really-coffee-stuff, etc. It was just too much money for what I think is a limited coffee producing ability. When they make the star trek coffee food replicator that can whip out a nice shot of espresso, followed immediately by a Turkish coffee, etc. - then I'll be the first guy in line. Heck, if it can drop a wee bit of Irish Whiskey into the mix on special occasions I may just fall in love.

I suppose those posting here would be horrified to know that I recently donated my Mr. Coffee to GoodWill, and I am using a Maxwell House coffee bag in one cup of microwaved water, for my allotted one cup of coffee these days.... honestly, with a shot of fresh creamer this coffee isn't that bad and it opens my eyes. Cleanup is non-existent.
I was having similar thoughts... after 20 years of Navy engineroom coffee, which is probably pumped directly out of the bilge anyway, it's hard for my palate to tell the difference.

When they make the star trek coffee food replicator that can whip out a nice shot of espresso, followed immediately by a Turkish coffee, etc. - then I'll be the first guy in line. Heck, if it can drop a wee bit of Irish Whiskey into the mix on special occasions I may just fall in love.
Would there be any downside to a world full of hypercaffeinated Trekkies?

We use a percolator whenever we camp in the RV and made coffee in it every morning when we lived aboard the sailboat. It is my favorite way to drink coffee, but too much trouble for everyday use.

I'd love it, if someone else was buying the little doohickies for me. But I can't possible justify it with my LBYM lifestyle. I've used other folks' models and thought it was quite nifty, but for everyday, I can't stomach buying the single serves.
I fall in your (e.g. "cheapo") camp, and quite proud of it - thank you very much...

DW does not drink coffee at all (tea, iced or hot). I, on the other hand have my two "mugs" in the morning which are supplied by my trusty "Mr. Coffee" (e.g. 4 cup = 2 mugs). That's the only coffee I drink the entire day.

While I do like these new gizmo's (I've used them while traveling, or know other folks that have them), I'm not a "coffee snob" and satisified with my home brewed Folgers :whistle: ...

Different strokes....

In my experience, the Keurig makes a decent cup of coffee, and I'm happy to use one that someone but me bought.

I wouldn't pay $200 bucks for one, though, and if I did, I'd use my own coffee.

I had a $12 Proctor Silex that lasted several years. Suits my cheap bastardhood... Currently have a "Cuisinart*", which is about average for a $40 drip machine.

* Walmart's finest!

I fall in your (e.g. "cheapo") camp, and quite proud of it - thank you very much...

DW does not drink coffee at all (tea, iced or hot). I, on the other hand have my two "mugs" in the morning which are supplied by my trusty "Mr. Coffee" (e.g. 4 cup = 2 mugs). That's the only coffee I drink the entire day.

While I do like these new gizmo's (I've used them while traveling, or know other folks that have them), I'm not a "coffee snob" and satisified with my home brewed Folgers :whistle: ...

Different strokes....

Gotta admit that I'm right there with you ~ even down to the Mr. Coffee and the Folgers! BUT....

I'm gonna be a LB(eyond)YMs'er for this one....headed out now to buy my very own BD present....$129 at my local Sam's Club.... :whistle: :angel:

Thanks for all of your comments ~ especially those of you who actually have one of these :greetings10:

There's a whole site dedicated to single-serve coffee machines, and it's called (drum roll) singleservecoffee.com.

I own two Tassimo machines: one at home, one in the office. Its advantage over the others is that it also makes excellent tea, latte, and hot chocolate. You can make chocolate followed by tea, and there is no chocolate residue in the tea. I suspect that in a blind test the coffee might come out a few basis points behind the Nespresso, but as a family machine (kids love it for the chocolate, teenage girls like the flavoured teas, and it's pretty much foolproof and unbreakable), or for the office where you want to be able to serve anything people might ask for, it's a superb all-round choice.

I bought the Sam's Club Keurig machine a month or two ago. It comes with 60 K-cups, and the "My K-cup" that you can fill with your own coffee. I am the only coffee drinker in my house, and I value my sleep far too much to get up 10 minutes early to make coffee. I usually sleep in until the last minute, then run out the door. :whistle: The Keurig has been awesome because it is so fast, and makes just one cup. I prefer to use the refillable k-cup with my own coffee. Cleanup is very brief (1 minute?), and I'm not wasting a whole pot of coffee worth of beans for 1 cup of coffee. We have probably 50 k-cups left of the 60 that it came with, and the bag of coffee beans I buy at Sam's Club last much longer since I'm using one cup's worth of beans at a time, instead of a whole pot worth, and throwing away the unused coffee.

If it broke today, I'd get it warrantied. If it broke the day after the warranty expired, I'd buy another one. :)

Oh, wait, was that a requirement? :whistle:
I've always got an opinion, even if I don't have experience! :D
If experience was a requirement, this forum would either have few posters, or it would just die.

I see a lot of posts of pre-retirees (especially from the "young folks") talking about what retirement is all about, and how they will plan for it.

Being actually retired (for a few years), I just read - and laugh :whistle: ...

I bought the Sam's Club Keurig machine a month or two ago. It comes with 60 K-cups, and the "My K-cup" that you can fill with your own coffee. I am the only coffee drinker in my house, and I value my sleep far too much to get up 10 minutes early to make coffee.

I live alone and when I was w*rking, I would get up at 5:30 AM when the alarm rang and start the coffee. While it was brewing, I would shower and dress and brush my hair and teeth. Then I would grab a "car mug" of coffee on the way out the door, 20 minutes after the alarm. I would drink some of it in the car while driving the 6 minutes to work, some while walking across the parking lot and in the elevator, and finish it after signing in at work at 6:00 AM. Sounds like you have a pretty good system going, too.

Did I mention that I ***LOVE*** being retired? Wow. I had almost forgotten about all that, and it has been only a year.

Last edited:
I use a Melitta manual coffeemaker. It is just a carafe topped with a funnel that contains filter and grounds. Always use freshly ground Columbian Supremo beans and sometimes Community to remind me of Louisiana.

Back
Top Bottom