Join Early Retirement Today

Re: keyboard
Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So when are ya gonna get ME something Martha?

Thats a great machine for the $$. I havent owned one myself but I bought a pair of their little brothers (the 2400) for the in-laws and they like 'em. I hear the 3000's are a little louder than the 2400 but the 2400 is pretty quiet.

I'm using the same lcd that came with the deal...I paid more for it about 18 months ago than you paid for the whole system... :-/

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So when are ya gonna get ME something Martha?
Power of attorney? Health care directive? deed prep for sale of your wife's house? Two free income tax questions? What will it be?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

OOH! Free lawyerin' stuff!

How about I hold that in reserve in case I get sued by someone?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:34 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah! I'll do your bankruptcy petition.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OOH! *Free lawyerin' stuff!
With all due regards to Martha, there ain't no such thing...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
With all due regards to Martha, there ain't no such thing...
It may free at first.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:43 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I thought th was angling for your bad motherboard, so he could spank it, make it fly-right, and sell it to JG at top garage sale prices...
I have a friend who is begging for my old computer. He is like JG and BUM, looking in dumpsters for deals. He lives near an expensive private college and after school gets out in the spring, it is amazing what he can find. I would have put my order in for a computer but DH absolutely could not wait.

For now, DH is visiting me at work once a day to do his internet thing.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:48 AM   #28

Just saw a screaming deal on a Dell Desktop $379 after rebates. 2.88 ghz. and a Free Flat Panel Monitor and Free Shipping. Advertised in the paper today!
Old 04-19-2005, 06:03 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

CT, that sounds a lot like what I am getting for about $350 after rebate from Dell. I get a decent computer, flat panel monitor, and a free printer I don't need. I can't believe how inexpensive these things are and what they can do compared to when I got my 8086(?) back in about '86.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Just saw a screaming deal on a Dell Desktop $379 after rebates. 2.88 ghz. and a Free Flat Panel Monitor and Free Shipping. Advertised in the paper today!
Cutthroat: I think I mentioned this on a post about a year ago. I bought (was sold) a Compaq Presario about 3 and a half years ago.
My wife and I had no experience with PC"s at all. (In fact neither of us had ever seen the internet. She also taught me to type, to avoid having to "one-finger hunt and peck".
Given my background (Barney Flintstone), wanted to ask a question.
We use computer for internet only, plus E-Mails, and occasionally use the printer.
How long (on average) would you say a computer would be servicable? Have had no problems with ours so far. (Pd. about $500.00 for it, so it was relatively inexpensive at the time).
Your post on Dell computer caught my eye.
Are we on borrowed time after 3 and a half years on our current computer?
Thanks, Jarhead
Old 04-19-2005, 08:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Are we on borrowed time after 3 and a half years on our current computer?
Thanks, Jarhea
Actually, if your computer works for you and is fast enough, there is no reason to get another. This is one reason that PC companies are having problems. They are having a hard time selling new ones, because the old ones are serviceable. So hence the heavy discounts.

If your computer Harddrive fails at some point, You can pick up a new for about $30. It will probably hold 10 times more a be a lot faster also.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Before we decided to buy the Dell, we went to Best Buy to see what they had for cheap computers. My DH asked the salesman if we could use our Gateway monitor, our printer, scanner, etc with the emachine computer. The salesman said sure, the peripherals are all standard and you can use them with any machine. My DH than said, "but they all seem to have different holes". The Best Buy salesman about split a gut.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The dell machine will have somewhat better quality components than the e-machines, for about the same price.

Jarhead - do ya have windows XP on that older machine? If you do, then you're probably just fine until you start getting problems from it. I've got a few oldies but goodies that I still use every now and then. If you dont have XP, you're missing out on a little more stability, really nice handling of digital cameras and camcorders built right in, and a few other niceties. I wouldnt spend $100 to buy it for an older machine, but it comes with the new ones.

C-T...similar system to the one I pointed Martha to, except the one she ordered comes with a 17" LCD instead of a 15", and its ~$30 cheaper. I think the 15" lcd is a slightly better quality LCD, but its a lot littler.

And lets face it, size matters
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 AM   #34

Quote:
I think the 15" lcd is a slightly better quality LCD, but its a lot littler.

And lets face it, size matters
I prefer 17" LCD or larger. A 19" LCD is about $300.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I have more junior computer person questions. When my new computer comes, how do I move all my stuff from my old computer to the new? Like pictures, letters, etc. Can you move internet bookmarks? The last time we got a computer it was because the whole thing was fried so there was nothing to move.

Also, I lost the software disk for my sony digital camera. Do I need it to download pictures to the new machine?

Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #36

Martha,

There are lots of ways to move data from the old computer to the new.

Probably the easiest is to get yourself a flash memory drive, if you have USB ports on both machines. You can get a 512 Megabyte one for about $30 or so. You just drag and drop files in Windows explorer. If you are really organized, keep one folder on your computer like "Data Files" and then store all sub folders under this one. Like 'Letters' 'Pictures' etc. etc.

You will have to add the software for the Sony Camera to download pictures. Contact Sony they may send you one. Or find a friend that's got a Soney Camera and borrow it.

If you don't have *a USB port on the old machine, tell us what you do have.

As far as internet Bookmarks, what ISP do you use. I use AOL and they are kept on their servers, so when I change my internet bookmarks they are automatically avaiable to my other computers.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I do have the USB port so this sounds like it should work. Thanks Cut Throat.

For internet, we have cable and then use mozilla firefox.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:32 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Ex-Jarhead, (and everyone else), the only thing I would suggest is get a backup schema in place. Gramdma's hard drive failed, she lost a lot that was important to her. Somebody already mentioned the easiest, usb thumb drive, but just be sure you are doing something, I've bet you've collected a lot after 3.5 years!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:47 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah Lawrence. I never have backed up my home computer and I know that it is foolish. Especially since we lost all our data a number of years ago.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #40
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ex-Jarhead and everyone else also: Before you go after Windows XP check on the Microsoft site to be sure your PC has the minimum stuff to handle it. It seems to be happiest with 512K of memory. More is probably better.

If you are using WIndows 98 SE, aside from the occasional bugginess, it should be fine. Recently Microsoft decided to extend their PAID support until sometime in 2007 I think because of the number of people using it and to wait out the arrival of their newest OS (Longhorn). THis oddly seems to coincide with the time frame they will support XP too!

Like many things, what you need depends on what you are doing with it...if you are basically internet surfing, emailing and some word processing I would not worry about it until it dies. If you want to do the picture storage, music, movies, etc you will need a little more power than say a Pentium 2 or 3. But you can do some of that as long as you have an external hard drive to back up those things to and from.

AS someone said earlier, backup, backup, backup! A dear friend of mine lost ALL of her family pictures when her PC died and she had no backup....I recommend the Maxtor External harddrives (whatever size you want) in part because they come with pretty good software to perform the backups.

In addition there are magazines and sites (CPU(Computer Power User), Smart Computing and PC Today which usually have info for people running something as old as Windows 3.1!). They have FAQs, etc.

One thing I have heard about Dell is that you need to look at the packaged offers and make sure you are getting exactly what you need, because when you start adding on additional goodies, that's where they hike the price a LOT!

BTW, if you use XP I also recommend the following site:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/
Lots of info on XP some in plain English and some in geekspeak but a treasure trove of info on that OS..
8)