Join Early Retirement Today

Re: keyboard
Old 04-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

In addition, if your not good at doing something manually like backups, buy yourself a RAID controller for $40, set up two identical drives as a RAID 1 mirror, and if one fails, you have a complete on line backup on the other!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Martha -

In internet exploder, you'll see the option under 'file' to export your bookmarks and cookies to a file, which you can then email to yourself and import into IE on the other machine.

Windows XP (if thats what you had on your older machine) also has a 'files and settings' wizard (under start/accessories/system tools' which does a pretty good job of bundling almost everything up. This will also take your wallpaper, all windows settings, internet exploder setups/cookies/favorites, and possibly even your email.

A suggestion to smooth the transfer is to get an external disk drive. You wont need a big one. These connect to the USB or Firewire ports on your computer and will magically pop up as a new disk drive. You copy the aggregated file that the files and settings wizard produces to that, move it to the new computer, and use the files and settings wizard on that machine to import it. Voila.

You then also have a nice external disk to put backups of key files on. And if you need to drag a bunch of stuff to work and back or to a customer, you have a rather huge portable disk that can be plugged into any computer anywhere. Look for one with an internal power supply (no transformer) as they're a lot easier to travel with and you can usually find a power cord anywhere if you forget yours. Some have "one-touch backup" where you initially define where all of your important files are, then you can plug in the drive, push one button on the front and it'll backup all your stuff automatically.

You can get these external drives almost anywhere...staples, officemax, costco, sams club, etc. A good price for an 80GB or less model is ~$99, a 200GB model around $150. Depends on how many documents you have on your old machine.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

If your computer Harddrive fails at some point, You can pick up a new for about $30. It will probably hold 10 times more a be a lot faster also.
Thanks for the info.

Jarhead
Old 04-24-2005, 05:33 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

The new computer came, I hooked it up, and here I am on line again. Yeah! I can type again!

Thank you TH for finding a great computer deal. It is faster than my four year old cowbox.

Thank you Cut Throat for the idea of using the portable flash drive. I found one for $20 after rebate. Yesterday and today I have been transfering select files. I was worried it wouldn't work because all my peripherals went funky. But it worked just fine. Organized my pictures and music at the same time. Cleaned our desk and organized our office area too. I will consider TH, Laurence's and others' suggestion of getting a portable hard disk for backup but I already had spent enough for one week.

The biggest problem was getting the cable modem to work. Had to get help from the cable company.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Oh, a couple days away and it is impossible to catch up with posts on this site. Been busy around here lately.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:39 AM   #45

Glad the flash drive worked out for you!

If you have not already done so, it's a good idea to organize your files on your hard drive. I make a folder called 'Data Files' and then have subfolders underneath them for various types of Info. For instance 'Photos', 'Excel Files', 'Word Documents', 'Quicken Data'. This makes backing up very simple or transfering to another computer easy.

All you have save or move is the Folder 'Data Files' and you'll be assured of gettting everthing.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:55 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Good idea Cut Throat. I made a lot of folders to hold various photos and documents but I didn't think to aggregate them all into one Data folder.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:42 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

BTW, if you use XP I also recommend the following site:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/
Lots of info on XP some in plain English and some in geekspeak but a treasure trove of info on that OS..
8)
Good helpful site Fletzie, thanks.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good idea Cut Throat. I made a lot of folders to hold various photos and documents but I didn't think to aggregate them all into one Data folder.
Martha - glad the new gear is working out well for you. Theres already a location for your aggregated stuff "My Documents", which has subfolders for photos, video, dvds, etc. The benefit of using it is that the migration tools I mentioned (files and settings transfer wizard) will smoothly move stuff from this folder to your new computer...when the day comes when you realize that the one you have is so completely below your stature...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote