Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija
They have never met a yogurt they did not like, but like the "plain" one best (go figure)...

ah yes, then you must have some organically hyper kids

Yes, I would have to agree... About 2 yrs ago (my older one is now 4), I thought her "energy rush" may be due to food sensitivity... so we dropped out all of the possible culprits from her diet... and... no change. It is as though she gets a "sugar rush" from breathing the air... she is on the run with a smile on her face 15+ hours a day... never stops, never slows down. (Great quality when you're running through an overseas airport in the middle of night, not so great when you have to deal with her day in and day out.)
lucija is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Speaking as a "former" diabetic
Old 11-01-2007, 01:14 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speaking as a "former" diabetic

Bananas pack a sugar wallop. They also have lots of potassium which affects how insulin is utilized. I'm not sure of the mechanism but in my experience, bananas send the blood sugar soaring and then the poor pancreas tries to catch up and...

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, there's no "sugar high" -- kids are not hyper after eating a lot of sugar. It's been thoroughly debunked by studies, and we've discussed it before on this forum. A kid may be hyper after the long-awaited Halloween arrives, he gets to go trick or treating with his Dad, wear a costume and get free candy, but it's not the sugar. This myth will never die.

Don't make me stop this car and get references, 'cause I'll do it. If you guys don't settle down right now, I'm going to turn around and we'll go right home.

Also, the guy who started the Bigfoot hoax confessed, yet we still have a Bigfoot museum around here, and people still hunt for Bigfoot.

The guys who made the very first crop circles confessed and showed how they did it, but there are still millions of crop circle spaceship believers.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

T-Al, why don't we drop off our little ones at your place and you can experiment with them for the day?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
T-Al, why don't we drop off our little ones at your place and you can experiment with them for the day?
Good one!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I second the statement about artificial colorings. In addition to the fact that processed foods are mostly just junk and fill you up without providing any nutrition, some kids are sensitive to artificial colorings. When my mom cut them from our diet in the 80's, my hyper brother calmed down quite a bit. I wouldn't say he became calm, but definitely had more control and focus to his energy.
(Caffeine too)
PBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

The funny thing is when they had their first child they were super cautious about his food now that they have three under the age of four it's bedlam .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucija View Post
It is as though she gets a "sugar rush" from breathing the air... she is on the run with a smile on her face 15+ hours a day... never stops, never slows down. (Great quality when you're running through an overseas airport in the middle of night, not so great when you have to deal with her day in and day out.)
We have one of those, and her first three years were worse than any sea-duty CDO rotation I've ever had. She didn't start to mostly sleep through the night until she was seven years old. She just turned 15 and it's only been about eight months since her last midwatch roll call. She's her own justification for being a trophy kid.

While I agree that some humans may have a hyper reaction to just about any type of food, I don't think there's a common link between sugar & kids. Ours eats a healthy diet with a zeal that makes her parents look like Homer Simpsons and she still can't turn off her brain at night, but at least these days she doesn't come looking for company.

Now that the hormones are really kicking in we've upgraded her nickname from "tropical storm" to "typhoon".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Eh, he'd just fill them up with two cups of starbucks, give them a free puppy and send them home.

Al, I've seen your research...I still think its dependent on the kid. I drank three root beers watching a game a few weeks ago and I was having the sugar shakes. My wife told me to shut up twice. Thats twice as often as she usually does it.

Besides, i'm waiting for you to swing an arm blindly into the back seat before I quit asking if we're there yet. But STOP TOUCHING ME!!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No, there's no "sugar high" -- kids are not hyper after eating a lot of sugar. It's been thoroughly debunked by studies, and we've discussed it before on this forum. A kid may be hyper after the long-awaited Halloween arrives, he gets to go trick or treating with his Dad, wear a costume and get free candy, but it's not the sugar. This myth will never die.

Don't make me stop this car and get references, 'cause I'll do it. If you guys don't settle down right now, I'm going to turn around and we'll go right home.

Also, the guy who started the Bigfoot hoax confessed, yet we still have a Bigfoot museum around here, and people still hunt for Bigfoot.

The guys who made the very first crop circles confessed and showed how they did it, but there are still millions of crop circle spaceship believers.
I've seen/heard those studies too...but the scientific proof in my house belies the data.

The first time my 5 year old had a small spoon of a sundae, she was maybe 18 months or 2 years old. She was in her stroller, her head started shaking back and forth like a crazy girl - it was insane! me and my friends couldn't believe our eyes! ah, but maybe it was the dairy! or the carbs, or the trans fats...whatever!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't have kids, but I (did) get sugar highs followed by near collapse. Consumption of sugar/refined carbs near zero for years.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #32

You say they have three under the age of four? Is that possible? I think the parent are crazy and it has been passed to the children.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
You say they have three under the age of four? Is that possible? I think the parent are crazy and it has been passed to the children.
One of my co-workers had 4 under 3... two sets of identical twin boys; the 2nd set was, supposedly, not planned.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We have one of those, and her first three years were worse than any sea-duty CDO rotation I've ever had. She didn't start to mostly sleep through the night until she was seven years old. She just turned 15 and it's only been about eight months since her last midwatch roll call. She's her own justification for being a trophy kid.

While I agree that some humans may have a hyper reaction to just about any type of food, I don't think there's a common link between sugar & kids. Ours eats a healthy diet with a zeal that makes her parents look like Homer Simpsons and she still can't turn off her brain at night, but at least these days she doesn't come looking for company.

Now that the hormones are really kicking in we've upgraded her nickname from "tropical storm" to "typhoon".
Nords - your post managed to give me courage and depress me at the same time... funny in a way
Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

A four and a half year old boy ,a two and a half year old boy and a one year old girl .Dad has an insurance business and Mom is now a stay at home before the last child she was a VP .Dad also coaches t ball . They are crazy busy .
Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #36

I've got two little crazy 'uns (under age 3). Sugar seemed to have no effect on them after halloween. They were just as crazy, wild, excited, and difficult to put to sleep as always.

(here's my daughter in her "I'm a bag of rice" costume. Yes, her name is Jas mine).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jasmine-rice.jpg (24.1 KB, 5 views)
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Justin, she's adorable!!!! What a great photo.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

She's really cute !
Old 11-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #39

She's very cute! take after mommy?

That costume is hilarious, she wasn't clamoring for a pre-fab princess outfit?! almost every girl for the past few years is a princess or a fairy, what a back track for the women's movement!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #40

Quote:
She's very cute! take after mommy?

That costume is hilarious, she wasn't clamoring for a pre-fab princess outfit?!
She actually went as a tiger. The rice bag idea was mine - it was like a pun and/or inside joke since her name is Jasmine and she eats rice all the time. The other daughter was in fact a princess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicasmalas.jpg (26.8 KB, 4 views)
justin is offline   Reply With Quote