Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I sure hope there's not a limit on the size of one's "Ignore Poster" list...

I'll let you know. I'm up to about 20 and so far so good. Reading some threads is a little bit interesting at times, especially when it becomes obvious that two or three of the one-note-wonders or flamers on my list are arguing with each other.

Nice OP though, lets me see what i've got coming to me in about 10 years.

As far as self aggrandizement, if anyone thinks they can read the missives of a bunch of financially independent people and not find a few heaps of hubris...good luck with that...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
As far as self aggrandizement, if anyone thinks they can read the missives of a bunch of financially independent people and not find a few heaps of hubris...good luck with that...
Actually, I've found this not to be the case on this board. Most posters seem more self-deprecating and modest than anything else.
winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

See, thats where differences of opinion kick in. I find modesty and self deprecation to be quite honorable traits, but theres an awful lot of phony modesty laying around waiting for someone else to tell them that they're really better than they present themselves.

I appreciate seeing someone who is doing better than most, understands who and what they are, talks about it, and doesnt mind baring their lives to a bunch of complete strangers (several of which may actually be dogs or teenage girls).

I see nothing wrong with that. People are just different.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Most of Nords' posts--whether he starts the thread, or whether he replies to a thread--are self-aggrandizing and/or self-promoting. I agree with you completely.
Come on, nothing wrong with being proud of having your offspring take your advise to heart and actually listen; and as a teenager no less! (I didn't realize that my parents actually were smart about money until when I was about 26)
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

how quickly the poop flies once the first is thrown huh!

DLAT - your post was strange and perplexing - i read it a few times and just couldn't wrap my head around it - basically came up w/ WTF? there is no reason to hurl a flame at someone you don't know, based on the OP... unless in fact you do know them...and the blatant a** kissing on the other end was another smooth move...

you either had some strange childhood experience where your parent took all the credit for your decisions, when they in fact, fed you bread and water and forced you to wash their feet.

or you have an agenda.

either way - the social skills displayed reveal an extreme lack of sophistication...and the bandwagonista (hey, that moniker hasn't been used yet) fell in lock step.

I have a teen son and ANY time he sort of listens to something i said, i do the dance of joy and tell everyone i know and soak it up because parenting is tough and parenting a teen is really tough. what i say is that when they are babies and cute, they put deposits in the love bank, as they grow up, they take withdrawals (and sometimes ask for loans w/ no intention of paying them back)!

i just cling to the hope that one day, when said teen son is like 35 or 45? he will turn to me and say, gee, thanks i know it was tough...thanks for going to costco, target, tj's, then back to costco three times a week to feed me, take me to all the practices, talk with all my teachers, games, and give me all that great life experience and advice i half listened to...but that is just a small hope. even if he doesn't, as long as he can keep a roof over his head and food on the table for himself and any offspring - i will happily take personal joy in that...or he will have kids himself and know what it is, and do a great job raising them too - and that will be thanks enough!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
i just cling to the hope that one day, when said teen son is like 35 or 45? he will turn to me and say, gee, thanks i know it was tough...thanks for going to costco, target, tj's, then back to costco three times a week to feed me, take me to all the practices, talk with all my teachers, games, and give me all that great life experience and advice i half listened to...but that is just a small hope. even if he doesn't, as long as he can keep a roof over his head and food on the table for himself and any offspring - i will happily take personal joy in that...or he will have kids himself and know what it is, and do a great job raising them too - and that will be thanks enough!
Trust me this does happen, it's happening to dh now. At least once a week his son will complain about how his son (dh's grandds) is acting and how he doesn't understand why dh didn't kill him at that age when he acted like that. It did take until he was in his 40's for this to happen, so be patient.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Very disappointing, cowardly troll.

I had reserved judgment on OAP for a long time for reasons not necessary to repeat. But assuming this is a double-identity case, as seems likely, this is very sad.

Bye, old friend.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

As the parent of a 14 y.o., thanks for sharing your daughter's story Nords, and BrightEyed I agree with all your comments.

I tell my son that one day he will realize we did our best to raise him to be his best, even if he doesn't always agree with us. He is not as hard-working as Nords' daughter, but we have instilled our values in him. Although he knew he would end up earning his own money for an xbox, he still insisted on asking us daily for two weeks if we would just buy it for him.

It's interesting that we can have great conversations with him about saving, spending wisely, conserving nature's resources, etc, but when he wants something it's - "I know, but..."
PBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #29

Rich,
with all the mod investigations it ought to be very plan that this post and the others on this thread are not from the same computer, probably not even from the same city. And frankly, making a judgement without any basis in not you at all. So who is posting under your name?
OAP

So frankly you seem very different, not me. Or have lost a lot of patients.

EDIT: I recommend that AndyR post Dumps and my IPs or at least acknowledges that nOrds has falsely accused me for about the 10th time. As have you now. Publish the truth not your innuendo.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Very disappointing, cowardly troll.

I had reserved judgment on OAP for a long time for reasons not necessary to repeat. But assuming this is a double-identity case, as seems likely, this is very sad.

Bye, old friend.
So this is the place for name calling. I thought the original question by DLAT was fair. At least it was in the context of the OP. The fact that the OP couldn't "look within themselves" and reply says alot to me.

Couldn't you have just sent a PM to your friend OAP? Or at least have started a new thread, "Moderators, love us, agree with us, or have a nice life?"

I'm probably a minority opinion in alot of things but I don't think that makes it any less valid.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Couldn't you have just sent a PM to your friend OAP?
Honobob's point is well taken. I'll take any further messages about this off-line, and suggest that others do the same.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #32

honobob,
it really is a shame as I sit here and buy some trinkets at the Sat/Sun Hell's Kitchen Antique fair, that I ponder your claim of a minority opinion. Minority or not, it is worth a baker's dozen majority opinions. Thank you (not for giving me any support which you clearly did not do)**Wouldn't want to taint you**.

I have discussed offline with one person. It is easily proven. Ture or False. Easily proven.

Thanks for having an unbiased suggestion.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I'm glad that you're at least using "assuming", which indicates you don't have positive proof yet. I have no doubt that Dumps is a troll, but let's not jump to any conclusion about his true identity until you mods have facts. Only you guys have access to the IPs. Words are not easily retrieved once spoken.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #34

Back to the original topic of working teenagers......

My 20 year old son was 16 when he got his first job. He had been on "Stage Crew" in his high school auditorium for over a year. In the summer the auditorium is used by outside groups for shows, recitals, fundraisers, etc. Since it's not a school function groups pay to rent the space and a small crew to run the equipment. Since he was about the only one who could run the soundboard he was hired as part of the paid crew. Long hours, minimum wage and he wasn't driving yet so one of us had to stay up late and wait for his call to get picked up. He learned so much. And in response to Nords' original post, yes, he did "get it". He wasn't working for the paycheck, he was working because he made a commitment and was part of the team. He's not a clock watcher, waiting for his break and lunch hour. He rarely got any kind of break and ate cold pizza if he could grab it. He did this until he graduated and really loved it.

He also worked at a Six Flags park about 45 minutes away. He was done with paid stage crew and Six Flags was still open through late October or early November. He had about 30 minutes of training and worked on the ferris wheel and a drop ride. He always worked with more experienced people except on the kiddie rides which are run by one person. Scary to think that a 16 year old is responsible for something like that! The scariest part for me was that he got a ride to the park with his friend, another 16 year old who had his license for a few months.

I never expected him to work during school and if he did, it was just on weekends. One of the more important things he learned from these experiences is what happens to a paycheck between your working and your take home pay. BIG eye opener as to how the real world works. Also, how tax filing and tax refunds work.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

IP addresses are irrelevant, although they're damning if they match.

Not that long ago I produced a set of posts using my ID and several others, posted from IP addresses in a number of different states, then different countries all over the world.

It takes very little knowledge to do this.

That having been said, its unusual for a brand new poster to call out a long term member, and to have a similar style to someone else thats previously had a problem with the same long term member.

And even more odd for that person to then magically show up in a matter of hours to defend their honor.

Particularly odd when that person has thrown the same little "I'm innocent" fit the last couple of times they got caught.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
That having been said, its unusual for a brand new poster to call out a long term member, and to have a similar style to someone else thats previously had a problem with the same long term member.
And even more odd for that person to then magically show up in a matter of hours to defend their honor.
Particularly odd when that person has thrown the same little "I'm innocent" fit the last couple of times they got caught.
Hey, we were reading his posts even before he figured out how to delete them. No doubt in my mind it's the same person.

But at least coincidentally popping up as OAP made it easier to add that name to the "Ignore Poster" list too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #37

CFB,
Why did you feel this need? To post this online versus contacting me?
Old 07-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I thought you said it wasnt you!

An innocent man has no worries.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #39

CFB,
still waiting for proof. No amount of slander can overcome actual fact.

AndyR has indicated that he will investigate things. Do it.

Easy for me, couple of people that have never been attacked by me. CFB, show me any post where I have attacked you?
Old 07-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Actually you have, but I excused you given the exigent circumstances. If I remember right, you had some fairly unpleasant things to say about my son.

I like ya buddy, and I'm sorry for everything you've been through. But if it walks like a duck...