Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Holy mother of all ER tripe.

Who is your son. I knew him not. Are you Nords father?
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner View Post
Holy mother of all ER tripe.

Who is your son. I knew him not. Are you Nords father?
I'm not old enough, but I suppose I'd be proud enough of him. Maybe not that ponytail, or being dumb enough to end up on sub duty AND mod duty...but...

Since the meds appear to have damaged your recollection, I believe the quote was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner View Post
Guess a couple of our uber-alles posters wanted to talk more about their surfing and ugly little kid
My son is beautiful...and welcome to my ignore list!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Most of Nords' posts--whether he starts the thread, or whether he replies to a thread--are self-aggrandizing and/or self-promoting. I agree with you completely.

It takes a "newbie" to introduce a little frankness to the board...hope you stick around and that they do not run you off...
I disagree completely. I enjoy all of Nords' posts and think that he has done a very good job with his daughter. He is always willing to work hard to respond to people's questions and gives very thoughtful replies whether it is in a thread or responding to a PM.

I am very disappointed in the personal attacks by a very few posters. If you don't want to contribute to this board, why don't you move on. Better yet, why can't we all just get along?
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:10 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about just deleting all of the OT posts and getting back on track.

I just went through FIREcalc and the ER spreadsheet from the Retire Early homepage with my sister. She's finishing up a BS in accounting now and will be starting an MBA and sitting for her CPA in another year... time to do what I can to make sure she gets further faster than my wife and I did.

The lightbulb definately popped when we ran the numbers. Seeing that you can retire when your 40 if you focus on saving when your young is a great thing (I've been hitting her with homework like this all along... worksheets from Automatic Millionaire, etc)
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #46

Are TROLLS also moderators who quit, act gracious and then have their toadies cast dispersions or create problems for new owners?

Meanwhile, I'll live in my penthouse here in NYC, explore the great city, enjoy my health and not post again. (unless falsely accused, which seems a pattern with one individual).

Oh, and if my health issues turn for the worse, I'll expose that for his and others enjoyment.

Have great lives. Enjoy who you are even.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

OAP, even if you are well, you're sick.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #48

Back to the initial topic ...

I'm really glad I worked my senior year of high school. I was a nurse's aide in a bottom of the barrel nursing home. I actually really liked the job, but I looked at the "older" people who worked there and thought there was no way I'd be there in my 20's.

Everytime I thought of quitting college I pictured myself back at that nursing home. That thought pushed me to finish my BS in business MIS, which has paid off in many, many ways.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

In High School I worked a couple of summers on farms driving tractors and moving hay. Then I graduated to combines. They are the most fun thing to drive, twenty feet of knife and they will turn on a dime. These jobs were OK. My real incentive to stay in School was my last high school summer job where I learned to hate cement pouring foundations.

Bruce
Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

My children are a long way from that stage. But in general I知 favorably disposed toward work as a teen. My feelings on the matter are based on my own experience as a working teen long ago, not as a parent. Of course my children may not be like I was, and it might not be the best choice for them. Their situation will almost certainly be very different from what mine was. So I guess I値l consider the matter further when they get older. Since there is apparently a moratorium on mentioning things that could be construed as self-aggrandizing, I値l refrain from explaining why work was good for me and why I chose a route other than college right after high school and why I知 glad I did.

Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote