Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Kim and NK are good poster children for the story "The Emporer has No Clothes". He was buck naked and the people said, my what a beautiful suit you have on
What the people say is one thing, what they believe is anyone's guess. There's lot of public grieving now over KJI's death. In 1994, when his crazy pappy died, the government conducted surveys afterward to determine who had been seen crying and who had not. No tears = insufficient loyalty to the Great Leader = off to the camp for re-education. No, I'm not kidding. It's nearly impossible to overstate the levels of repression and official paranoia inside NK.
So, we see much grieving today in the wake of KJI's death--everyone wants/needs to be seen by all witnesses as being severely distraught.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
What the people say is one thing, what they believe is anyone's guess. There's lot of public grieving now over KJI's death. In 1994, when his crazy pappy died, the government conducted surveys afterward to determine who had been seen crying and who had not. No tears = insufficient loyalty to the Great Leader = off to the camp for re-education. No, I'm not kidding. It's nearly impossible to overstate the levels of repression and official paranoia inside NK.
So, we see much grieving today in the wake of KJI's death--everyone wants/needs to be seen by all witnesses as being severely distraught.
This is just a theory, but in progressive repressive governments they can also use the carrot to entice obedience instead of the stick. As in give those crying the most some food (carrots?!) to stave off starvation for another month. Those who aren't observed crying will not be provided with their weekly rations.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Luckily they all have plenty to be distraught about, no matter what Kim is in charge.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
One less seat in Hell.
Okay, break's over, back on your head...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #25

I wouldn't be so sure about all this. Don't forget, there are some who believe Elvis is dead, too.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Time to dust off that "Team America" DVD for holiday movie time.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Luckily they all have plenty to be distraught about, no matter what Kim is in charge.
Yeah, that...

Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The UN assembly held a moment of silence to honor this brutish dictator today.

Said they were following protocol.

I thought it was equivalent to pissing on the unmarked mass graves of his countless victims.

Oh, how far people go for the sake of political correctness!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #29

I've heard that the first indication that something was up with Kim Jong was when his Facebook status went from ill to dead.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The UN assembly held a moment of silence to honor this brutish dictator today.

Said they were following protocol.

I thought it was equivalent to pissing on the unmarked mass graves of his countless victims.

Oh, how far people go for the sake of political correctness!
I think this was an olive branch extended to the NK people and leaders. Not doing it would be like pissing on the heads of NK people and leaders. Not conducive to improving relations with NK or obtaining cooperation.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I think this was an olive branch extended to the NK people and leaders. Not doing it would be like pissing on the heads of NK people and leaders. Not conducive to improving relations with NK or obtaining cooperation.
Agreed, especially with the possibility that the new regime may move towards being a bit more open.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not conducive to improving relations with NK or obtaining cooperation.
I don't think it would make a difference with their leaders. Never seemed to make difference before. Not even China seemed able to rein them in.

Quote:
Not doing it would be like pissing on the heads of NK people and leaders.
Fixed it for you.

Actually, to quote from the Web,
Several Western diplomats said Pyongyang's request for Kim to be honored was highly unusual.
I am sure that Pyongyang's media will be busy showing how the "entire world" is also crying its eyes out for the death of their beloved leader, and has bowed its collective head before this great hero.

By the way, a web article said half of the assembly floor was empty when this "ceremony" happened.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some people who have lived their entire life in a free society, where anyone can call their president names and still lives, simply cannot understand how oppressive some other countries can be. They may ask, well, why don't the dissidents just go "Occupy Pyongyang" or something. GOOD LORD!

They ask where the people who spoke out against Hitler, or Stalin, or Mao, or Saddam Hussein, were. Of course there were none! Therefore, they conclude that all the citizens "loved" their respective leaders, of course!

If one even as much as looks at a picture of the leader in a wrong way, his entire family, actually 3 generations, may be sent off to death camps. See this and this, for example. Similarly, I guess some people may not believe there are people dying of hunger in the world. Why don't they just go get food at the nearest Walmart, or if they have no money, just call for free "hot meals on wheels" from charities?

I give up.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #34

My reactions on seeing any footage or documentary on North Korea are:

a) This gives me flashbacks to all the movies and documentaries I've seen about Nazi Germany and,

b) Even weirder is that this is happening now.

I've also been wondering whether perhaps the North Korean regime is even more brutal and repressive than the Nazis were, though when you get to this level of insanity, I don't suppose a few extra notches on the scale make a whole lot of difference.

They're not daft enough (like Hitler was) to have designs on invading anyone else (with the exception of South Korea in the past.) If they play their cards right, they could continue subjecting the population of NK to the same misery they have been for the last 50+ years, for a while longer, sadly.

We are unbelievably lucky to be living in the free world.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They're not daft enough (like Hitler was) to have designs on invading anyone else (with the exception of South Korea in the past.) If they play their cards right, they could continue subjecting the population of NK to the same misery they have been for the last 50+ years, for a while longer, sadly.
I think there is a good chance they are going to slip their traces. I think they are still daft.

But what am I saying. The only evil people in the world are Americans. I forgot.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not even China seemed able to rein them in.
I'm unconvinced that they try very hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
The only evil people in the world are Americans.
Maybe self-serving and self-righteous, but not evil...

Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think it would make a difference with their leaders. Never seemed to make difference before. Not even China seemed able to rein them in.
It's worth a shot to try to improve relations every generation or so when you have a change in leadership. With the alternative being a repressive nuclear armed rogue nation with a crazy Jung Un manning the Red Button of Disaster and Doom. Maybe Jung Un will reflect back on his time in Switzerland or elsewhere and think about loosening the economic stranglehold their government has on their economy. What if he wants to be the one to bring about economic progress and slowly open their economy? Saving face is big in Korean society, and pissing on the grave of the father is certainly not a way to foster hopes of improving relations.

I'm thinking of China's economic liberalization when I think of what NK could become (over the next couple decades). No where near a perfect liberal open society, but much better than the alternative of severe repression and starvation.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And in other news, Kim Jong Il is still dead.
showing your memory still works
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe Jung Un will reflect back on his time in Switzerland or elsewhere and think about loosening the economic stranglehold their government has on their economy. What if he wants to be the one to bring about economic progress and slowly open their economy?
I suppose it could happen. But the leadership in NK is interested in staying alive, and that means staying in control. Opening up economically, even to the extent China did, will mandate a level of information flow in and out of the country that the regime cannot allow if it is to survive. This year has made it very clear that the retirement plan for despots isn't a good one, and the level of repression and brutality in NK leaves very little possibility for a soft landing.
Chinese leaders primarily want to avoid a NK collapse that would flood their country with refugees, and in maintaining a buffer against South Korea, especially if that buffer can also serve as a military threat to SK which reduces their economic power.
[/QUOTE]
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote