Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
gone traveling

i bought this when i bought my Kindle. t was on sale for 10.00

Amazon.com: Amazon Kindle PowerFast for Accelerated Charging (not included with device, for use with the new Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD models): Kindle Store

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I just upgraded from a Kindle 2 with a leather case to a paperwhite in a neoprene sleeve and I love it!!! So light, the print is so easy on the eye, and the built in light takes me comfortably into the evenings.

I saved the $20 and went for the "special offer" version... the ads don't bother me at all.

I'm going to send my Kindle 2 off to E-books For Troops...

Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I'm thinking about getting one of these - 3g, wi-fi, no ads. I've never used one (or any Kindle) before. Any experiences?
This is the one I bought just about two months ago, and I absolutely love it.

I've already read at least a dozen books on it, and it was a godsend on a recent long (three weeks) trip.

Another feature I really enjoy is that I can switch between the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle app on my iPad, and it automatically keeps track of what page I last read on either device.

Battery life isn't quite as good as they claim (good for a week or so of frequent use, not several weeks), but plenty good enough. Easy to adjust the built-in backlight for the room you're in, too.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm sticking to my Kindle 2 until they make a paperwhite with a physical button! I use Calibre to manage my collection of free books from places like project-gutenberg, and even Amazon; it converts between formats and uploads easily to the device. I think I've bought 1 book in several years, for a grand total of $0.99 - very economical. For those with less scruples, I understand there are vast collections of more recent ebooks available to download illicitly.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Battery life isn't quite as good as they claim (good for a week or so of frequent use, not several weeks), but plenty good enough.
The 8 week claim is based on 1/2 hour of use a day, which they don't emphasize very much in their marketing! I tend to read 4 hours a day, and yes, a weekly charge is fine with me.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackanory View Post
I'm sticking to my Kindle 2 until they make a paperwhite with a physical button!
+1

I have used all of the kindles to date, and I totally agree with this. I love the paperwhite for the illumination, but MUCH prefer the physical buttons to page forward, etc. Of course, YMMV
Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Kindle Paperwhite is a really really good device. It's definitely a worthwhile upgrade over the older kindles. It's my favorite non-Apple device!

I do prefer the paperwhite's button-less operation. With my older kindle, I was always picking the thing up and accidentally pressing one of side buttons. It drove me crazy. Not a problem with the new one.

I still read Kindle books on my iPhone - I always have it with me and I don't carry around the Kindle (OK, I do take it on trips, but it's still not always with me). Syncing between devices make it all work together so well.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #28

I was curious about the battery life of the Paperwhite also. Originally I thought it just always went to the screensaver when you hit the power button but later I found out that if you hold it down for about 6 seconds, it turns the whole thing off. They claim the screensaver doesn't use any power but I am not sure about that.

I only read about a chapter a night (not long, maybe a half hour or an hour), and I charged the thing up fully, turned off wi-fi (which uses power and I never need unless I have a new book) and saw how long it lasted. It really did go for about 8 weeks!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

AARP has a 10% off coupon code off Kindle readers and Kindle Fire.

AARP Discounts | Unbeatable Deals and Overwhelming Offers from Exclusive Merchants - AARP Discounts
Old 11-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #30

I want to buy a friend a Paperwhite for Christmas. Does Amazon have any set schedule on new releases? I'd like them to have the latest but I need to have it in my hands before the holiday.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If something new isn't released by Thanksgiving it isn't coming out until next year.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If something new isn't released by Thanksgiving it isn't coming out until next year.

Got it. Thanks, man - that should work, given how fast Amazon sends drones to my home

Old 11-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, they just very recently released the Voyage, which is a nicer version of the Paperwhite.

I'm a happy Paperwhite user, but I was tempted by the new Voyage (better screen, a few other improved features).

The problem is that almost every review I read on the Voyage said that it really wasn't all that much of an improvement over the Paperwhite, especially for the money (and the price difference is substantial!).

Also I would say that anything electronic that expects Xmas season sales would be released or at least announced by now.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

They actually just came out with a new e-reader called Voyage.

Amazon.com: amazon voyage
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I love my paperwhite. I had the regular kindle before and liked it too, but the paperwhite is my go-to reading device. I hate reading on my ipad and my eyes are too far gone to read on a phone.

Here is something to consider and is really only an option if you have a REALLY trusting relationship with some family and friends. I have an Amazon account and my mother, two nieces and two other friends have kindles tied to my account. This means the kindles are registered to me and I control the main account. However, they all have the account user name and password to log onto Amazon and buy their kindle books that go into my account cloud library. They pay me for any purchases they make (just kindle books - not other items from Amazon) and that way everyone can access all of the books purchased by everyone for the kindle. I know that there are book clubs that also do this. It is perfectly legal with Amazon.

Of course everyone has different tastes, but our library is pretty big now and there are books I read purchased by others.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another happy Paperwhite reader here. I just wanted to add, if your budget allows also purchase the case with the magnetic closure from Amazon. A friend had to talk me into getting that and I'm glad she did--it upgrades the whole reading/ carrying experience.

Also, just in case you don't know, one can borrow e-books from the public library to read on a Kindle. I read a lot but spend very little money on books.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #37

Thank you for all your comments/suggestions. I am going to have one happy friend!

Old 11-10-2014, 09:41 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

My Paperwhite is rocking this case:
The Best Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Case (so far) | The Wirecutter
Old 11-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I have all the Kindles (except Voyage). My cheapest Kindle, the $69 one, now $79, took a dump. I thought I'd just use my other Kindles, but realized I like the cheaper one the best. So I ordered a new one. I do a lot of reading outside and plus I like how light it is.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #40

I have a case I bought on Amazon, it was $5.09 and has pockets for your CC when sitting at the pool. Not that I use them.
The magnet feature is great, it shuts down the kindle when you close it.