Kindle Paperwhite: New Battery or New Kindle?

CoolRich59

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Kindle Paperwhite is about 3 1/2 years old. Just recently, I noticed that the length of time it holds its charge has decreased dramatically.

I use it every day, sometimes for a couple of hours, but keep it in airplane mode and dim the screen to extend the battery life. Up until a week ago, it would last weeks before needing to be recharged.

Last week, however, I got a low battery warning. It surprised me because it seemed I had recharged it not long before. I recharged it and was again surprised last night to find the battery was drained again in less than a week.

Does anyone have an idea how long these batteries are supposed to last (as in useful life)? If a Kindle's battery is exhausted, are the batteries replaceable? -- or does Amzn expect/assume you'll buy a new device?

The timing may be good for me as today is Amzn's "Prime Day" and the Kindle Paperwhite is 33% off ($80 instead of $120).

FWIW, my Kindle Voyage (more or less an upgraded Paperwhite) is also 3.5 years old and I haven't noticed any deterioration of battery life. I typically use it about 10 hours a week and mostly keep it in airplane mode.

Thanks braumeister.

I'm starting to lean towards replacing it because of the sale price. Also, it looks like Amzn will give me up to $25 if I "trade in" my current device. So, I would be getting a new Kindle for as low as $55 instead of $120. :)

Replacement batteries run around $18-$20, which is at least 80% of the trade-in value. I'd trade it in.

Replacement batteries run around $18-$20, which is at least 80% of the trade-in value. I'd trade it in.

Plus you would normally need another $10-$20 in specialized tools to make the swap.

Thanks to you both.

I just checked Amazon. With the Prime Day discount and the trade-in (which they upped to $35 (don't know why)), a new Paperwhite (without the ads) comes to $44.

Even for me, that's a no-brainer. :D

My paperwhite is four years old and not eligible for a trade-in. Boo!

My Kindle Paperwhite is about 3 1/2 years old. Just recently, I noticed that the length of time it holds its charge has decreased dramatically.

Last week, however, I got a low battery warning. It surprised me because it seemed I had recharged it not long before. I recharged it and was again surprised last night to find the battery was drained again in less than a week.
I have had a Kindle Keyboard for almost 8 years. The battery lasts weeks as long as I don't use WiFi for long. WiFi seems to drain the battery fairly rapidly.

Does anyone have an idea how long these batteries are supposed to last (as in useful life)? If a Kindle's battery is exhausted, are the batteries replaceable? -- or does Amzn expect/assume you'll buy a new device?
Officially Kindle batteries are not replaceable. However, you can purchase replacement batteries on the Amazon marketplace and there are "how to" videos. If you aren't handy at electronics repairs, it's not something that appears easy.

The timing may be good for me as today is Amzn's "Prime Day" and the Kindle Paperwhite is 33% off ($80 instead of $120).
It's a pretty good price!

For me, charging a Kindle weekly wouldn't be a problem. But I'm "cheap" and I like to get every last drop out of something before I get rid of it. Hence the 8 year old Kindle Keyboard. Even at those prices, I can't convince myself to trade up!

Last edited:
I have the older Kindle keyboard also. I'm always amazed how long the battery lasts. DH bought me a Kindle fire a couple years ago, I don't care for it. I also bought my granddaughter's used IPAD and do most of my reading on it now since I can download library books on it. Amazon took away the ability to put library books on the Kindle keyboard.

Sounds like a good price on the paperwhite. Can it be read outside in the sun?

For me, charging a Kindle weekly wouldn't be a problem. But I'm "cheap" and I like to get every last drop out of something before I get rid of it. Hence the 8 year old Kindle Keyboard. Even at those prices, I can't convince myself to trade up!
Good thing my wife didn't see this post. If she had her way, I'd still be driving a Ford Pinto! :D

Note to self, get eye exam and new readers or cataract surgery - thought the thread was: " Kindle Paperweight" .

My experience with non oem battery replacements on various devices has been spotty. Splurge, go for a new device.

Amazon took away the ability to put library books on the Kindle keyboard.
:confused:

I read library books on my Kindle Keyboard every day. Amazon hasn't changed anything.

Perhaps your library changed? My books come from the Boston Public Library's Overdrive site (https://bpl.overdrive.com/search?format=ebook-kindle&language=en&sortBy=newlyadded). While I don't live in Boston, the BPL will give you access to this site if you live anywhere in MA. Pretty nice deal. Maybe your library no longer uses Overdrive?

Sounds like a good price on the paperwhite. Can it be read outside in the sun?
Yes. The Paperwhite is just like your Kindle keyboard in that respect (my wife has one). The Paperwhite just has additional internal lighting so that it can also be read in the dark.

Amazon took away the ability to put library books on the Kindle keyboard.

Not sure why you say this. It works fine for me I have 2 on there now. I love my kindle and really don't want a backlit one. Duh I see someone else said this too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom