Join Early Retirement Today

Kindle Unlimited?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kindle Unlimited?

I just signed up for a 30-day trial. It looks like most of the books I want to read are unavailable, but a bunch of other books (perhaps internet books?) are on the list? I have just been looking at non-fictions, but it doesn't look like it is going to be worth it for me. (I did find one book I like, so that's what I am reading now...)

What is your experience?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Administrator

DD subscribed for a short while for children's books, but cancelled, saying the selection was too limited. I've looked into it twice and concluded the same. I buy some books and use the library for others, and haven't seen any of the books from either on the Kindle-U. Besides that, I found it difficult to browse the list of unlimited titles.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you want to read specific books, then it's all about whether they have those books or not. I have a wide variety of book types that I enjoy. As such, I average reading about 4-5 books per month through it. I also picked it up with a two-year deal last summer so the cost was about 2/3rd the normal price, so for me it's well worth the cost. I really enjoy that I can start a book I'm not sure about, invest nothing extra but a bit of time starting to read it, and then not feel bad if I don't care for it quickly. When I was actually buying books, I was almost compelled to keep reading it since I'd paid for it, but now that I'm more paying for "my time reading", if I don't like a book I stop reading it and grab another one to replace it.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I get everything that I want to read from the public library. I may have to wait for a particular title, but it's free and they offer nothing but professionally edited books. I find most of the low-cost, internet-only books unreadable. My library has been very responsive about acquiring books that I request too.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I checked it out too and all the stuff I was reading was not on the list. Baldacchi, Koontz, Child, Cussler...nope, gotta pay.

I guess you have to wait a long time for the new stuff to get "old" enough.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #6

Check out bookbub.com
You can set what kind of books you like and get daily emails with free and low priced ebooks.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Prime members who own a Kindle get one free KindleUnlimited book each month through the "Kindle Owners Lending Library". That's enough for me. Like others, I've found that my favorite authors aren't really participating and most of what's there seems to be self-published and of poor quality. I did find a few novellas on KindleUnlimited by authors I like that were published as e-books only, but once I finished those, it's been hard to find anything else I want.

I did save a couple of bookmarks that may be helpful.

To browse, you can start at this link and then just click on a genre in the left nav.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_1546...nid=9045886011

To look for KindleUnlimited books by a specific author, use this page: https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/oth...qid=1484589884
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

For me, "Kindle Unlimited" was too limited...so I cancelled after the free trial was done.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
For me, "Kindle Unlimited" was too limited...so I cancelled after the free trial was done.
Yep, it wasn't so "unlimited"... I cancelled it (I am still in the trial period so no money spent..)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have enjoyed my Kindle Unlimited subscription. Perhaps it is the lack of quality that I do not mind I have read many fun sci-fi, thriller, zombie, etc. Some are certainly cr*p, but I also will buy the authors I like or wait for the ebook from the public library.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I get everything that I want to read from the public library.
I know a number of folks who get lots of books from the local library. It's an excellent resource.

I personally like to support authors that write books I enjoy. I've know a few authors (I even pushed one book) and very few make a lot of money from it. Sure there are a few big time authors that do very well, but many many just get by.

So I'm happy to spend $4.99 or whatever when I get a book so that the author has a chance of making a living.

I do the same thing paying for software. I know quite a few software developers who just get by and they certainly deserve payment for their hard work.

So consider making sure that good authors (and developers) get paid for their hard work - especially if you're financially secure!
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I know a number of folks who get lots of books from the local library. It's an excellent resource.

I personally like to support authors that write books I enjoy. I've know a few authors (I even pushed one book) and very few make a lot of money from it. Sure there are a few big time authors that do very well, but many many just get by.

So I'm happy to spend $4.99 or whatever when I get a book so that the author has a chance of making a living.

I do the same thing paying for software. I know quite a few software developers who just get by and they certainly deserve payment for their hard work.

So consider making sure that good authors (and developers) get paid for their hard work - especially if you're financially secure!

Well, I'm pretty sure that libraries have paid for the ebooks they let me borrow (probably thru some sort of licensing agreement) so I don't feel bad about borrowing books instead of buying everything I read. I do buy some, if I'm too impatient to wait to get it from the library or it's a book I think/know I will want to return to often. But at $10-15 a pop, and reading 2-4 books/month, the public library has long been part of my LBYM lifestyle.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote