Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Im in the store yesterday, I go to the fresh fish aisle, and low and behold what do I see? The little wooden bucket with the seaweed sticking out of it, packed with live blue claw crabs. What shocked me more was the price hahah. It was no longer 12 for $ 3 dollars or even 12 for 30 dollars, BUT $ 9.99 a pound. When did they start a per pound price on Blue claws, it was always a certain amount per crab. Anyhow, im all crabbed out from my earlier king crab feast.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #62

Since you started this thread. You might need to change your screen name to Blue Claw Grabs.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Since you started this thread. You might need to change your screen name to Blue Claw Grabs.
Yup thats my luck, hahah
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-25-2017, 07:17 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Call me strange, I actually prefer the less expensive snow crab over the king crab.
It is OK, but a PITA to crack. Like one of the other posters here, my DW gives it to me to crack.
I am waiting for a sale on Dungeness. they are pretty meaty and easier to handle IMO
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:21 PM   #65

A few years for our anniversary, I ordered lobsters from back East. It was fun tracking them on the FedEx website, but the shipping was a killer. We finally decided to go to a very nice restaurant by the ocean, and have them cook10 oz. lobster tails for us. It was less expensive, the view was great, and someone else cooked them.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #66

We just went to The Lobster to celebrate my youngest child's graduation. There were two type of lobsters, American, I assume that's Maine Lobster, is for $39 per pound and California, I assume it's Carribean Lobster, is for $65 per pound. The frugality and LBYM in me kicked in big time. I settled for the cheaper lobster but it was so delicious. I think perhaps grilled lobster tastes the best.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In our RV trip to the Canadian Maritimes and US Northeast in 2014, we bought lobsters and had them cooked at the pound, then brought back to our RV to enjoy.

After each of us having a 2-lb lobster twice, we were good with lobster for a while. Paid something like $25 for each two-pounder.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
King Crab Leg Time
Old 06-25-2017, 08:00 PM   #68

King Crab Leg Time

I'm going to Canada next month for both lobster (Canadian type) and wild King Salmon. While there I might have Dungeness Crab and King Crab too. All in the planning. What can I say I'm a foodie.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
We just went to The Lobster to celebrate my youngest child's graduation. There were two type of lobsters, American, I assume that's Maine Lobster, is for $39 per pound and California, I assume it's Carribean Lobster, is for $65 per pound. The frugality and LBYM in me kicked in big time. I settled for the cheaper lobster but it was so delicious. I think perhaps grilled lobster tastes the best.
Wow thats expensive, but I am glad you enjoyed it.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:13 AM   #70

Just had a $260 lobster dinner at Mim's in St. Thomas USVI last night. Got two 3 lb lobsters - one tail stuffed with crabmeat and the other with a coconut curry sauce. Delicious! Great atmosphere right on the ocean and nice staff too. Tab included 2 drinks, a bottle of wine, 1 appetizer and 2 desserts in addition to the lobsters. Expensive but worth every penny!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:40 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

From an Asian market nearby...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0336.JPG (170.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #72
Gone but not forgotten

Mentioned this thread to my 54 Y/O son, and he reminded me of when he was 6 or 7, and used to go crabbing with grandma.. My mom, who was in her 70's at the time would take the 17 foot rowboat out across the cove, to the bullrush area, at high tide. Son Kerry would row the boat backward, and my mom would stand on the seat in the rear, with a net, on a long pole... scooping up crabs as they scurried across the sand bar. Too many crabs for a bucket, so they'd be dropped into the bottom of the boat.. dozens and dozens...crawling over each other, and DS with feet up on the gunwales. The entire family would go down to the dock, to watch this crabby group come in with the evening meal.
This was circa 1970, when the Dept of conservation was liberal on enforcing limits on residents of 100 Acre Cove.

http://www.exploreri.org/siteReport....0&src=criteria
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Just had a $260 lobster dinner at Mim's in St. Thomas USVI last night. Got two 3 lb lobsters - one tail stuffed with crabmeat and the other with a coconut curry sauce. Delicious! Great atmosphere right on the ocean and nice staff too. Tab included 2 drinks, a bottle of wine, 1 appetizer and 2 desserts in addition to the lobsters. Expensive but worth every penny!
That sounds like an awesome feast!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Mentioned this thread to my 54 Y/O son, and he reminded me of when he was 6 or 7, and used to go crabbing with grandma.. My mom, who was in her 70's at the time would take the 17 foot rowboat out across the cove, to the bullrush area, at high tide. Son Kerry would row the boat backward, and my mom would stand on the seat in the rear, with a net, on a long pole... scooping up crabs as they scurried across the sand bar. Too many crabs for a bucket, so they'd be dropped into the bottom of the boat.. dozens and dozens...crawling over each other, and DS with feet up on the gunwales. The entire family would go down to the dock, to watch this crabby group come in with the evening meal.
This was circa 1970, when the Dept of conservation was liberal on enforcing limits on residents of 100 Acre Cove.

Barrington River - 100 Acre Cove: Rhode Island Blueways
Love the story. I enjoyed it even more when i heard your son has fond memories of his grandmother.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
That sounds like an awesome feast!

It was!! Definitely more than we needed to eat, but that didn't stop us from ordering key lime pie and peanut butter pie for dessert! [emoji14]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
From an Asian market nearby...
Frog and turtle? Anyone here knows how to clean them? I will pass.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I dont know if they do it with the frogs and turtles,I didnt wait around to see.
But the fish are scooped out of the tank, placed on a board then WHACKED in the head with a mallet. Yeah Ill pass on this scene.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've gigged and cleaned plenty of frogs. Very simple. Cut off the legs and pull off the skin, then throw everything else out.

My grandfather used to catch, clean and cook snapping turtles, but those skills were beyond me by the time I left frog and turtle country.

Mostly in South frog legs are floured and fried. In New York, I learned to love French style sauteed frog legs.

Ha
Old 06-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I'm gonna order some too, straight from the source.

Crabapalooza! Save $60 on Alaskan King Crab
Wow, but that's like $40/lb. High roller
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
King Crab Leg Time
Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #80

King Crab Leg Time

Quote:

They are still alive. No killing from me. I only indirectly kill lobsters and crabs through boiling. Now killing grasshoppers is a different story.

But seriously, I've had frog legs in Canada. I shall give them a pass. Never had turtle, but I too shall give them a pass. I'll just stick to lobsters and crabs. Much tastier.