Kissing-Let's Hear It From The Ladies

I'm not an avid hugger . When I lived in New Jersey going to an Italian wedding was pure torture . Everybody hugged !

I am 60 years old. I will shake hand (mild dislike). Have never figured out that 'looking in the eye' crap.

I recall having the college interviewer and at least two job interviewers ask me why I wouldn't look them in the eye.

What the crap does eye contact have to do with math or IT work?

Some people use eye contact and body language to decide if the person is telling the truth. I don't like the practice either.:nonono:

Reading Eyes - Blifaloo.com

Eye Movement and Lying - How to detect lies

Have no idea how authoritative blifaloo is.

My dad taught me exactly the same (and cautioned me not to "shake like a dead fish, or people won't trust you.") I don't think anybody had to teach me to look in the other person's eyes. Most American adults seek out eye contact instinctively, but not everybody does (as Khan pointed out). I don't "make" people look me in the eye. The whole point of a greeting is to make strangers feel comfortable, not threatened.

Men often compliment me on my firm handshake. I'm careful not to squeeze women's or older folks' hands too hard. For one thing, you never know when somebody may have arthritis. For another, women often wear rings on their right hands, and having one's ring squeezed against the next finger can be painful.
S in SC;999664 said:
But what the heck happened to people being able to give a proper handshake? Especially women. I learned from my dad the whole eye contact, firm grip, repeat of name business, but I swear I wind up shaking hands with practically boneless women about half the time.

My dad taught me exactly the same (and cautioned me not to "shake like a dead fish, or people won't trust you.") I don't think anybody had to teach me to look in the other person's eyes. Most American adults seek out eye contact instinctively, but not everybody does (as Khan pointed out). I don't "make" people look me in the eye. The whole point of a greeting is to make strangers feel comfortable, not threatened.

Men often compliment me on my firm handshake. I'm careful not to squeeze women's or older folks' hands too hard. For one thing, you never know when somebody may have arthritis. For another, women often wear rings on their right hands, and having one's ring squeezed against the next finger can be painful.

I've had men do that 'firm handshake' crap and cause pain. Another reason why I don't like to shake hands.

My ex was a weight lifter and very strong and he had a 'wimpy' handshake because he was very aware that he could cause pain.

Speaking of hands and kissing...I've had my hand kissed on occasion. I think it's a lovely and charming experience. :smitten:

....and no, it wasn't a ploy to get at my diamonds....

:D

I'm not an avid hugger . When I lived in New Jersey going to an Italian wedding was pure torture . Everybody hugged !

So true! Since moving to NJ, I have probably hugged more people than I ever thought possible! (also grew up in a non-huggy family)....also the cheek/air kisses - what's with that was my initial impression... it is much easier these days, since I now see it as a social greeting norm - not a sexual thing. Still not a big PDA person...occasionally, but we both work a bit at it (hand holding, my arm through his, etc...)

:whistle:Life in private is another thing entirely!! >:D

Wasn't Sir Hugalot a knight of the Round Table? I seem to remember that the roundest knight was Sir Cumference.
Ugh. Any more like that and I will to reconsider the comment I made on your humor in another thread :D

4. Kissing is good for what ails you. Research shows that the act of smooching improves our skin, helps circulation, prevents tooth decay, and can even relieve headaches.

5. The average person spends 336 hours of his or her life kissing.

8. The average woman kisses 29 men before she gets married.
#4 - Strive to be the "picture of health".

#5 - I threw my timer away YEARS ago.

#8 - Um...um....um....oh never mind. :cool:

Speaking of hands and kissing...I've had my hand kissed on occasion. I think it's a lovely and charming experience. :smitten:

:D

I've kissed hands. Some men didn't know how to react.

Ahhhh come on now...
smiley-hug008.gif

I have to admit...I love to hug and be hugged. I can tell if someone likes that type of contact or not by their body language.
When I 'feel' the love...I hug the puddin' out of 'em.
sLo_BigBearHug.gif

Ditto ditto ditto

I do not impulsively hug a stranger. I usually greet them with a simple offered hand (not a handshake) and watch their reaction to that. If I detect reluctance, I stay with that.

If it is a good friend whom I already know likes a hug in greeting, I always give a gentle hug.
If it is one of my adopted family, a stronger hug and probably a cheek kiss.
If it is Mr Boston...well...:whistle:

I have doubts about the average of 336 hours kissing and think it's much more that that.

Would you please tell her?
Well...she might wonder why. :blink:

But sure...what the hay! :greetings10:

Ok....here goes...."Ms MichaelB you are a very fortunate woman to have Mr. MichaelB as your hubby." :)

Last edited:
I have doubts about the average of 336 hours kissing and think it's much more that that.

Yeah, for most of us. But you have to remember they are averaging in the 37 year old virgin gamers who are still living in their mother's basement. ;)

Wow, wommn on average ONLY kiss 29 men before they get married, heck I kissed 29 women in a good week in the college bars..........:)

Back
Top Bottom