Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was born at Thanksgiving but weighed only 7 pounds 5 ounces, so I believe they decided to cook a turkey instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The old oven was ridiculously small, barely fitting a 25 pound birth at thanksgiving! .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
This is why I like to keep things simple with a standalone stove.
In my last house I totally remodeled the kitchen and took out a standalone stove and replaced it with an island cooktop and an eye level oven. The oven was great because you could easily see in it and didn't have to bend over to use it. In my new house, I'm going with a standalone because I don't have as much space and I probably won't use it that much anyway. They are also a lot cheaper. The last house kitchen remodel was for the late DW. She was a great cook and really appreciated the layout.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #23

Do what Hermit said, cut the top off the doors and move the doors up. Since the cut is at the top you only have to paint the top end by the ceiling and no one is going to see that. You would also cut out the bottom shelf behind the doors and move that up too. Are the white doors/cabinets formica, is that what you were referring to? The formica on the front of the bottom shelf behind the doors can be cut with a fine tooth saw. You could also use a sheet of stainless steel to cover the bottom shelf front to make the transition between the oven and the upper doors.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
....There is more space above. I have two concerns about that, however. First, the cost of new doors will be more than the cost a new drawer front. Second, not really visible from the photo, is the doors above can be seen from everywhere while the drawer is only easily seen nearby, and it's in a bit of a shadow. If the color of the replacement door or drawer cover were a bit off it would be much more evident up than down. .....
Just thinking out loud. It looks like the doors and drawer fronts are some sort of white Formica. I wonder if a cabinet maker could strip the Formica from the top of the doors, trim the doors down to size and then reattach the top strip in a way that would look ok.

Otherwise, if you took that trim strip off below the oven and above the drawer front, put in a new shelf inside the cabinet where the top of the new shelf was even with the top of the drawer front would that give you the vertical space that you need?

Or in the extreme, do a mini makeover and replace all the drawer fronts and doors... still cheaper than moving!
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #25

I would remove bottom drawer. Then lower the shelf. If possible modify the drawer and reuse. Invert the drawer front when you reassemble. Cut off the bottom part you don't need.

There is a dremel hand held cut off tool that would do a smooth cut where you need it.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #26

MichaelB - looks like cutting the cabinets is feasible. Something like Hermit described should work. But the easiest attack will depend on how the cabinets above and below are constructed. Any cabinet guy should be able to handle it with no problem. The electrical problem should be an easy fix as well. Either move the electrical box in the wall behind the oven or attach a longer electrical whip to the oven.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A good handyman is worth his weight in gold. It took me several years to find one. Knowing a good handyman is one of many reasons why I love developing roots in the community. For me, doing it myself is not an option since I am unusually "un-handy" and despise this sort of work. What can I say; I'm a retired academic. So, I really need my handyman. He knows his limits and will call a licensed electrician, plumber, or whatever, that he works with when something is over his head.
Is his name Frank?
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I will throw out an option...

An oven/microwave combo with convection in both...

Whoever owned the house before us put this in... we never do need the double oven, but I have used the convection feature on the microwave a couple of times... it is not that big, so if you do need two real ovens this is not an option...
Old 02-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #29

The cabinet doors are definitely so close to the ceiling that only the front can be seen, not the top of the door itself. There is more room in the cabinet and losing 3 inches or so wouldn't disturb the overall look.

Something that did just occur to me, is the oven is already pretty high. If the top oven shelf is another 3 inches higher it might be out of range for DW.

I'm feeling much more comfortable about this, expanding the cutout height doesn't seem to be a risky project. Good ideas and good feedback, very much appreciated.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Is his name Frank?
No - - some of the advantages of not being married, are that he doesn't have to do my handyman work or mow my lawn, and I don't have to do his laundry or cook for him. We like it this way.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #31

Quote:
The cabinet doors are definitely so close to the ceiling that only the front can be seen, not the top of the door itself. There is more room in the cabinet and losing 3 inches or so wouldn't disturb the overall look.

Something that did just occur to me, is the oven is already pretty high. If the top oven shelf is another 3 inches higher it might be out of range for DW.

I'm feeling much more comfortable about this, expanding the cutout height doesn't seem to be a risky project. Good ideas and good feedback, very much appreciated.
My girlfriend's wall double oven is very high and she has a hard time taking anything out that's heavy. She's 5'5". Even if it's not heavy, it's awkward trying to get things out because the hot oven door is in the way.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I would remove the cabinet above the stove. Remove the doors. Using a table saw or using a straight edge/clamp make very precise cuts to the sides and back, just below the inside top panel. Remove the top panel. Remove the amount you need to trim from the side panels, try not to cut into the back panel. Place the top panel back in place an and mark the back panel and then trim the pack panel. Glue, screw/nail the top and back panel in place. Reinstall the cabinet.

You know need to mark the front panels to trim. Turn the panel 180 degrees so the hardware is at the top. Have a friend or DW hold the panel in place with the aligned with the top of the front panel of the neighboring cabinet. Mark the bottom of the front panel -- this is the amount you need to trim. Again, use a table saw or cutting edging and clamp so you get a clean edge. With any luck you won't need to relocate the hinge hardware -- reinstall you front panels and you should be good.

The electric is no big deal. But if you're not comfortable doing electrical, pay a local electrician -- he should be able to relocate the outlet in less than an 1 hour.

If I
Old 02-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #33

We replaced a double oven a couple of years ago. The replacement we were considering didn't really match up with the original hole.

What turned out to be helpful for us was to move beyond replacing the double oven with another double oven. Instead we ended up with a stack of three devices: a microwave/convection oven on top, a traditional oven in the middle, and a warming drawer at the bottom. This fit just right.

We only occasionally used both ovens concurrently. Now when we need that, the microwave can be pressed into service as a (convection) oven. And DW loves the warming drawer. I mean really really loves it.

Since this also provided a microwave, that freed us up to ditch the microwave we had above the stove with it's lame recirculating fan and replace it with a proper vented hood. We now have fewer problems with cooking odors nice it vents them outside.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #34
Administrator

Replacing a dead wall oven actually was the catalyst for a kitchen redo for us. Other appliances were also aging and I wanted to reclaim the counter space that the floor to ceiling oven cabinet used.

We removed that cabinet and extended the counter through that space, hanging a new upper cabinet. The aging cook top was replaced with a slide in, full sized range with a larger oven. While we took out two wall ovens, they were small. Replacing with one large oven has worked well.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Several years ago, we replaced a oven/microwave unit with a oven/microwave/warming drawer unit. The new unit was about 4" higher than the old unit. I removed the bottom or the cabinet above the cutout and moved it up to create the necessary clearance. I then needed new cabinet doors to fit the smaller cabinet opening. I managed to order some custom raised panel doors off the internet. They weren't a 100% match, but extremely close. Once they were painted to match, I'm the only one who can tell the difference.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #36

I was curious about what is disintegrating on the current unit.

Our range/oven is a free-standing unit -- not built in. It is about 30 years old. I recently rebuilt part of it (ie relay) and it is working fine again. All our friends were telling us to get a new oven, but I wasn't ready to give up. New oven designs don't necessarily follow the design of our kitchen and I was not interested in a full remodel project. I also wasn't interested in electronic modules and controls etc.

Oh I forgot to mention. The oven is a Sears/Kenmore and was actually made in the USA - Chicago actually.

I feel quite good about extending the life of this appliance.

-gauss
Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #37

I have a full cabinet shop, however I'm not a professional cabinetmaker. It appears that those cabinets are of a euro design without any face plate. And I would think the door panels are melamine or some kind of chip wood product. They're just not easy to reconfigure.

I hate to say it, but have you considered a complete kitchen re-do? Those cabinets are about as basic and styleless as any I've ever see.

We're also hung on double ovens, but have found the cost of such units to be pushing $2800. You can buy 5 stand alone stoves for the cost of one double oven.

We now have double ovens in a GE Monogram stand alone stove unit--with convection on the large oven. And we are moving it to our new house next week--after I get the granite cut 1". We're moving the Fridgidare Gallery stove unit to our current house.

I'm sorry I don't have a better suggestion.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
- Sell the house and move
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I hate to say it, but have you considered a complete kitchen re-do?
At least you came up with a cheaper alternative.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No - - some of the advantages of not living together, are that he doesn't have to do my handyman work or mow my lawn, and I don't have to do his laundry or cook for him. We like it this way.
Fixed that for you!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Fixed that for you!
You are so right!!! We really don't want to live together, either. Living right next door to one another is just right for us.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote