Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2014, 07:51 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Whatever you decide, make sure to pay for it with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty. Manufacturer warranties are quite skimpy these days. Our fridge was only 12 months and when it needed some expensive repairs after 18 months were were glad we had the credit card extended warranties. I got a $600 check back from my credit card company.
Thanks for the reminder. I've made a note on this as we complete our remodeling. Lots of appliances still to buy!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It looks like I will be going to the library to do some research using Consumer Reports. I really appreciate all of the responses so far. Appliances are not what they used to be. If we buy the stove and microwave ourselves, then I will have to remember to use a credit card that doubles the warranty. Right now we are ordering the materials through our contractor and he orders them through Lowes. He gets a break and he is passing part of it on to us, or so he says.

Keep the appliance recommendations coming, especially for stove and microwave.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know what "level" of appliances/kitchen you are looking for. For a strict "bang for the buck" kitchen, I would:
1) Avoid the combo microwave/hood unit. Hoods do a better job of evacuating moisture, and when the microwave dies (they do--about 5 years of use) replacing this type is a lot pricier than a regular countertop unit. If you want the built-in look or want counter space, just build a shelf for the microwave in place of a cabinet.

2) Gas stove: I would seriously consider a very simple unit. The stuff that goes wrong with these is the electronics. Does anyone really use all the fancy features (delay start time? Really!?). If I could make it look right,a 1960s era stove would probably be more reliable and have all the features I truly need.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I don't know what "level" of appliances/kitchen you are looking for. For a strict "bang for the buck" kitchen, I would:
1) Avoid the combo microwave/hood unit. Hoods do a better job of evacuating moisture, and when the microwave dies (they do--about 5 years of use) replacing this type is a lot pricier than a regular countertop unit. If you want the built-in look or want counter space, just build a shelf for the microwave in place of a cabinet.

2) Gas stove: I would seriously consider a very simple unit. The stuff that goes wrong with these is the electronics. Does anyone really use all the fancy features (delay start time? Really!?). If I could make it look right,a 1960s era stove would probably be more reliable and have all the features I truly need.
Very good points!

I never understood the microwave/hood idea. Sling an electronic high-power device that needs cooling air to stay alive, over the hottest greasiest fumes area in the kitchen, and also crunch down on the packaging to make it all fit. Garbage!

Unfortunately, builders have been creating this mess all over the country.

I chuckle at the oven "delay start time". I couldn't see how someone would use it... put a casserole in the oven right before leaving for work, have it sit there all day (eek!), then have it start cooking while you are not home yet (eek again!), so it is "done" when you walk in the door? Does it come with a free stomach pump, or it self-dials the fire department? I'll never understand.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That's a great idea! Just one problem. For those of us with small kitchens, it is a huge space saver.

$400 every 5 years is a lot cheaper than spending $48k to blow out a structural wall and remodel my kitchen.

That's what I seriously considered a few years ago. But being LBYM, I chose a simple refresh instead of an extensive remodel.

But you are right. If you have the room -- and heaven knows most recent houses seem to -- then separate the functions.

But have some mercy on those of us living in 70's style kitchens.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
...I never understood the microwave/hood idea. Sling an electronic high-power device that needs cooling air to stay alive, over the hottest greasiest fumes area in the kitchen, and also crunch down on the packaging to make it all fit. Garbage!

Unfortunately, builders have been creating this mess all over the country.
Builders install what people want. We have had two microhoods and have never had a problem with either of them. One we had 7 years before we sold the house (GE as I recall) and the current one is 4 years old.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote