Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Kitchen Appliance Help
Old 10-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kitchen Appliance Help

We are currently remodeling our house. We do not need a new refrigerator, since it is not that old. It is an LG stainless steel. I have picked out a Bosch 800 series dishwasher. I am having a horrible time picking out a gas range that is freestanding. I had a Samsung picked out, until I read a few reviews about them catching fire. I liked an LG one until I read that the knobs have plastic in them and quite a few people had to get the knobs replaced at $75.00-$89.00 per knob and then those knobs cracked. I have not even started looking at microwaves that go over the stove and vent. I am not a shopper and I am getting so frustrated and have no idea what to get. We were wanting to get the convection oven.

So, does anyone have any appliances that they have had good luck with and like?
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am very happy with my LG appliances - front load washer and dryer, 2 refrigerators, a range/dual oven, even the microwave/hood that took 4 service calls to get the problem properly diagnosed and fixed.

From my experience, LG is the first choice, and everything else is way down the list.

No experience with gas, though, so don't know what to think about the control knobs.
FlaGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post

So, does anyone have any appliances that they have had good luck with and like?
Not really.

Bought a few 3 to 4 years ago. The Whirlpool fridge is great. But...

The Samsung over the range microwave has an "SE" error. This is a huge problem and all over the internet. The cause is cheap electronics. Disappointing to see it after 2.5 years.

My GE range has a ghost in the machine and resets at whim every now and then.

Both frustrating errors. It is hard to recommend anything. The electronics are too fragile.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought all new appliances two years ago from Sears. Not all same brand. Love the kenmore fridge, dishwasher, wine chiller. Have had some problems with the kenmore stovetop. The frigidaire range and ice maker have been a nightmare. Bought Sears extended warranty and it has been even more difficult. I am on a first name basis with the service guys. Whatever you do don't buy from Sears and whomever you do buy from- get the extended warranty. Appliances aren't made for the long term IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

I've been very happy with my Bosch dishwasher (10 yrs old) and Bosch stovetop (2.5 yrs old). Both got very high ratings in Consumers Reports.

We are also doing some remodeling and i dread having to select new double ovens, fridge and washer, dryer. I will be going with new Bosch dishwasher and stovetop is staying.

I would be very interested in knowing what you selected and why.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prose3589 View Post
Bought all new appliances two years ago from Sears. Not all same brand. Love the kenmore fridge, dishwasher, wine chiller. Have had some problems with the kenmore stovetop. The frigidaire range and ice maker have been a nightmare. Bought Sears extended warranty and it has been even more difficult. I am on a first name basis with the service guys. Whatever you do don't buy from Sears and whomever you do buy from- get the extended warranty. Appliances aren't made for the long term IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
This. We purchased a very expensive Kenmore Elite fridge that died a week after it was delivered. It took Sears almost a MONTH to repair it. I've NEVER had such an issue with service. We have a Samsung range (elelectric) and built in microwave that has worked flawlessly for about a year. Our dishwasher is a Whirlpool that refuses to dry the dishes...I think it's designed that way though.

I'd love to have my Dad's Lady Kenmore appliances he had installed in his home when it was built in 1973...but he's still using them. He finally had to replace his two water heaters when they hit 35 years of age!

They certainly don't make things like they used to.

I have heard that if you need service, Home Depot is the way to go, although I've never had to call them.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'd start with Consumer Reports, as someone mentioned above. Nothing wrong with asking here, but any of us could have a good or bad experience with any brand, that may not be representative at all. Best of luck...

We replaced all five kitchen appliances during a full remodel Summer 2013, and relied on CR for every selection. One year doesn't prove anything, but we have no regrets on nah appliances we bought. Time will tell.

And Kenmore isn't a brand, they are all rebrands from various manufacturers. I'd do the research on any specific Kenmore appliance to find out who built it and research that manufacturer before buying.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We remodeled our kitchen two years ago with all stainless steel LG appliances. The dishwash has no knobs, all touch control, and by far the most quiet one I have ever heard.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #9

We replaced all of our kitchen appliances in a full kitchen remodel about five years ago. Bought high end Kitchen Aide and Thermador models. About $10K total. But, after deciding on what we wanted by visiting local outlets, we bought everything online. Saved several thousand dollars. Took several weeks for delivery, but well worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We bought an Electrolux range, Kitchen-aide dishwasher, GE microwave and Samsung refrigerator five years ago when we remodeled and they have all been great. We did our research on Consumer Reports and weren't let down.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #11

Isn't a gas range supposed to catch fire?
Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

How did you arrange for installation of the items bought on line?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
We replaced all of our kitchen appliances in a full kitchen remodel about five years ago. Bought high end Kitchen Aide and Thermador models. About $10K total. But, after deciding on what we wanted by visiting local outlets, we bought everything online. Saved several thousand dollars. Took several weeks for delivery, but well worth the wait.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Remodeled kitchen earlier this year, bought Kitchen Aide appliances on sale locally, no issues so far with any of them, dishwasher is super quiet
greydog17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #14

"How did you arrange for installation of the items bought on line?

Amethyst"

With the exception of a gas cooktop, I installed them myself. I would have installed the cooktop as well, but we didn't previously have a gas line in the kitchen. I hired a plumber to run the new line and install the cooktop.

txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Sigh. I was afraid of that. Mr. A. and I would not even be able to bring most items into the home, let alone install them. I imagine it would erase most of the on-line savings if we have to arrange separate installation.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
"How did you arrange for installation of the items bought on line?

Amethyst"

With the exception of a gas cooktop, I installed them myself. I would have installed the cooktop as well, but we didn't previously have a gas line in the kitchen. I hired a plumber to run the new line and install the cooktop.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Sigh. I was afraid of that. Mr. A. and I would not even be able to bring most items into the home, let alone install them. I imagine it would erase most of the on-line savings if we have to arrange separate installation.
Perhaps not. He said he'd saved "several thousand dollars" by buying online. Those would have to be pretty complex installations to cost that much.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd start with Consumer Reports...
+1
I am also "not a shopper", and so I just take my chances with CR's recommendations. It's sometimes a pain, though, because the models they test are not always available.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Been pretty happy with my GE Profile range cooktop combo.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Been pretty happy with my GE Profile range cooktop combo.
And my GE Profile is giving me problems. My bigger gripe is that since it is intermittent, they were not able to fix it, despite replacing a bunch of stuff. I should have stood on my head and demanded a new appliance, but I had stuff going on (still w*rking) and didn't have time. They also wanted me to replace my house wiring first. Really? So, I live with the intermittent reset. Means we have to baby-sit while baking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
+1
I am also "not a shopper", and so I just take my chances with CR's recommendations. It's sometimes a pain, though, because the models they test are not always available.
That's the problem with my Samsung over the stove microwave. Slight model differences introduced a problem. A very similar appliance was highly rated by CR for reliability. This one is the pits.

Now, the internet has lit up saying Samsung is taking care of all people with the problem, regardless of appliance age. I don't have time to wait for a repairman again, so I fixed it myself by adding insulation on the shorting wires.

Hmmm, I think the theme here is that retired people shouldn't have a problem because you can sit around and deal with all these repairmen. Gives you something to do.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Whatever you decide, make sure to pay for it with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty. Manufacturer warranties are quite skimpy these days. Our fridge was only 12 months and when it needed some expensive repairs after 18 months were were glad we had the credit card extended warranties. I got a $600 check back from my credit card company.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote