Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Put tile over formica in our former rental soon to be main residence. Turned out nice. Given I use glass/plastic chopping boards, I'm hoping this won't be a problem. Time will tell though!
When I redid my kitchen 15 years ago I went with tile with a dark grout. Like you, I always use a cutting board and I think it has worked out well. It is nice to be able to put a hot pan directly on the counter. I think I'd have to replace it with granite if I sold, though, as that is all the rage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

This is the spot I want to cover with the marble slab:

The grout joints are pretty large - like maybe 3/8" - and are filled with a very sandy whitish grout that just loves to suck up coffee. "Rustic" tile and execution (read, unskilled poor workmanship), not at all like the fine 1/8" or less joints in my shower up here, which is done with white subway tile.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Wow, my sister used to be a realtor and this is exactly what she said almost verbatim. I was just hoping she was wrong.
I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and do the counters and floor.
I may live to regret it, but I don't want to replace the cabinets, and painted cabinets look awful to me so I'm not going that route.
I agree with you that it's "wrong", but it's a lot faster & cheaper than being "right".

We had 30-year-old wooden cabinets refaced for a kitchen remodel. They used some sort of high-quality contact paper on the cabinet frames. The doors were replaced with rigid thermofoil (same material used to resurface the cabinet frames) which is waterproof and mostly stainproof.

Quote:
I would not choose granite myself. But right or wrong, if you watch HGTV House Hunters and other programs like it (as I have been since we've started planning to sell our house), almost invariably couples seem to be looking for granite and stainless steel. Some of them insist they want granite and then can't even tell what they are looking at, have to ask the realtor 'is this granite?'
If you aren't happy with granite or Corian, a good compromise might be synthetic silestone... especially if it's made to look like granite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Put tile over formica in our former rental soon to be main residence. Turned out nice. Given I use glass/plastic chopping boards, I'm hoping this won't be a problem. Time will tell though!
Our counters were 3" white tile squares with "white" grout that was impossible to keep clean. Every time you wrote on a piece of paper your pen dropped into a grout line. Every liquid would show us exactly where the grout sealer was wearing out.

We've been much happier with Corian.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I would suggest that you go to see your realtor before doing anything, to get his/her recommendations, and then follow those recommendations as closely as your budget for upgrades will allow. Realtors are glad to help sellers make the house more appealing, so that they have a better chance of selling the house quickly.
I sold my last 2 houses on my own and may give it ago solo this time. Not sure though. My parents have lived in this neighborhood for the last 40+ years and I have lived in the area the last eight, so I have a good idea what most houses look like. What I suggested in my previous post is right in line with other homes in the area.

Good suggestion and I would do it if unfamiliar with the neighborhood.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I sold my last 2 houses on my own and may give it ago solo this time. Not sure though. My parents have lived in this neighborhood for the last 40+ years and I have lived in the area the last eight, so I have a good idea what most houses look like. What I suggested in my previous post is right in line with other homes in the area.

Good suggestion and I would do it if unfamiliar with the neighborhood.
Last house we sold I knew the price I wanted, a realtor suggested about $10000 less plus the drag of his 6% commission. I ended up maintaining and showing that place for a year, finally a realtor brought me a buyer and handled all the issues with the bank - getting the house a new roof and some other repairs. Paid the realtor 3% as he was not the listing agent. He really earned his money, and at the end we ended up with just a bit more in our pocket than the first realtor had suggested as an asking price. Figure we did about $15,000 better by going it on our own.

Take away for me was to be sure the local real estate agents know you will pay them 3% to bring you a deal that gets done and understand that agents are like all people - they want to do as little as possible to get paid - they can and will work both the buyer and the seller. If a place is priced really cheap it's easy to sell. Too high and it won't sell at all. As a seller you want to strike that delicate point just above where the agent has a really easy time of it because those are your dollars being dickered away.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I replaced all appliances - the old ones were mismatched, and well, old...

Replaced cabinets and went with granite countertops and tile backsplash, plus tiled the floor, to replace the carpet over two layers of vinyl... Also widened the 32" doorway to a 72" opening, to make the K and DR "flow".

Cost, thereabouts i.e. from memory: appliances - $4000; cabinets - $5500; countertop - $2000; backsplash - don't remember, maybe $400 materials, labor unknown...

Don't expect to get much if any back from a sale, but it might make it sell faster, compared to comps in the neighborhood with the original builder-grade kitchens.

And the kitchen is so much nicer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen2.jpg (639.9 KB, 12 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

It does like nice, well done.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It does like nice, well done.
Couldn't find a "before" pic, but it's much improved.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #49
Confused about dryer sheets

Regardless of what you decide it is a bit risky. If you dont update the kitchen it may "devalue" the other nice features of your home. OR if you do..it may add no value because the buyer may want to totally redo the kitchen and discount everything you added.

Although I am a big fan of remodeling - for quality of life and as an investment unless your kitchen really detracts from your home overall I would leave it as is. If it is an eyesore then redoing the floor _hardwood is my preference and granite (or quartz i prefer quartz not as many patterns and colors but really really tough and easy to care for) and paint and or new knobs on the cabinets is a good bet.

3 parting comments.
1. see if you can have a good real estate agent come in and tell you what they think. Better have 3. They are the ones that deal with this every day and can be very objective.
2. consider if your 2 years staying turns into 5 or 10??! Maybe an update would make your time in this home that much better..then it is worth doing.
3. before deciding also get a good estimate of the cost to do what you are planning. You cant make an investment decision like this without knowing true costs.

With all that done....you wont be able to make a bad decision!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #50
gone traveling

I may be moving to a place with particle board kitchen cabinets and I can't afford to do new ones so I am trying to figure out how to fix them up. But I would suggest countertop and flooring.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny727 View Post
I may be moving to a place with particle board kitchen cabinets and I can't afford to do new ones so I am trying to figure out how to fix them up. But I would suggest countertop and flooring.
Keep an eye on Craigslist - what one person feels is just too too last decade and just not fitting to the cutting edge of kitchen fashion upon which they live is a major upgrade for the rest of us. I scored a set of cabinets from an ad agency that had used them in some of their tv ad sets. Can you say, as new? You do have to be creative in placement of the different size boxes, but the puzzle is part of the fun.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by remodelingdan View Post
3. before deciding also get a good estimate of the cost to do what you are planning.
And then double it...

Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And then double it...
And then triple the schedule.