Are You Cooking With Gas

• Gas

Votes: 42 53.2%
  • Electric

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters
Just fyi, after having a number of gas cooktops over the years and homes, we found that getting the burners on the front works better than having them on the top. It keeps them from getting as grungy, and keeps you from accidentally bumping the flame up or down. Just one of those little things that you don't think of usually. Of course it might depend on the layout of your kitchen.

This
00000119485-Kenmore36InchProSlideInGasCooktop30503-large.jpeg

as opposed to this
044147.jpg

Just fyi, after having a number of gas cooktops over the years and homes, we found that getting the burners on the front works better than having them on the top. It keeps them from getting as grungy, and keeps you from accidentally bumping the flame up or down. Just one of those little things that you don't think of usually. Of course it might depend on the layout of your kitchen.

This
00000119485-Kenmore36InchProSlideInGasCooktop30503-large.jpeg

as opposed to this
044147.jpg

Thanks! - the one with front controls has 6 burners :D

I warming up to the idea of a Gas stove top and an Electric oven

This is my vote exactly. I prefer gas stoves due to instantaneous adustments and high temps. The only caution on a gas stove is to look for an easy to adjust low flame. Many non-commercial gas stoves don't have a really low setting due to safety reasons of not wanting the flame to be out while the gas is still on, even if only slightly.

I prefer an electric oven due to its even heating. When my electric oven cycles on and off the temp doesn't swing so widely. The most important reason that I prefer elec ovens over gas is that the electric heat is dry. If I want a most heat I can put a pan of hot water in there. When gas burns it makes water vapor and the oven is moister than I prefer at times.

I also strongly prefer ovens to be wall mounted at eye level to avoid the blast of hot air in the face thing.

These are just my personal preferences and peccadillos,
Mike D.

Heavy or light cooking?

When I was looking a few years ago a salesman asked if I still canned. At the time I did and he suggested gas because the glass cooktops have difficulty with cracking if you put large heavy pots of water on them. I went to gas and quite like it.

One other reason

Opps how could I forget this one. We bought a very simple but well made Bosch gas stove because it had very little electronic components. Some of the computer motherboards that have all those fancy cooking controls on the high end electric stoves (I think Kitchen Aide is the worst) cost over $1000 to replace.:mad:

Opps how could I forget this one. We bought a very simple but well made Bosch gas stove because it had very little electronic components. Some of the computer motherboards that have all those fancy cooking controls on the high end electric stoves (I think Kitchen Aide is the worst) cost over $1000 to replace.:mad:
I have KitchenAid electric wall ovens - they are entirely electronic and if the [essentially] computer controls go, I expect it will be expensive to repair. For $1000 I'd have to think about whether it was worth fixing - so far (a couple of years) no problems.

They work well and they have a bread rising setting that keeps it at ~100 degrees - the bread rises really fast at an even warm temp. There are a lot of features I don't use - I needed it to fit in the existing hole (we were replacing ovens) and they have covered bottom heating elements. They are only 24" (existing oven issue) so that was a way not to burn food. The old ovens specialized in burning food - 24" is small.

The Thermador gas cooktop, OTOH, has nothing but an electric sensor of some sort that relights the burner if it goes out. It is 7-8 years old - I don't know about the new ones. I've been happy with it, and it does light with a match if there's no power. Some do, some don't - you have to ask, if that's important to you.

I would like fewer controls... the truth is I turned out good food in the old days with a 24" gas apartment stove of dubious vintage a few decades ago. Hope the Bosch stove continues to work well.

Had electric until a year ago when we remodeled our kitchen and switched to gas. Love the gas stove and would never go back to electric. Cooks faster and more evenly IMO.

Bought a KitchenAid with gas on top and an electric oven (electric bakes better).

I converted from electric to gas a couple of years ago. While I slightly prefer the gas for the visual feedback, electric had more of a range; it could apply lower heat than gas and boiled water noticeably faster. Both were fairly cheap electrolux rangetops.

I went from a 1950's era Caloric gas oven last year to this:

http://www.commercial.sears.com/comsale/appliance/applcat/spec/22-75603.pdf
Sealed burners, self cleaning, small side oven eliminated the need for a separate toaster oven thus freeing up counter top space.
Love finally being able to cook in the 21st century. :ROFLMAO:

The fact that we got it on sale made the whole thing that much better.

Sealed burners, self cleaning, small side oven eliminated the need for a separate toaster oven thus freeing up counter top space.
Love finally being able to cook in the 21st century. :ROFLMAO:

The fact that we got it on sale made the whole thing that much better.
That is really good looking...I like Kenmore Elite and have had good luck with them from dryers and washers to the Frig.

Gas or Electric ?

My wife and I have had both. We perfer gas. It is easier to cook with. But since you are remodeling why not have both connections installed, that way you can change if you don't like what you went with Just my 2cents.

Curious - what is Sabbath mode on your stove? does it have to do with the ignition system or heat in a quiet and reverential style? Really not getting an idea of what it could be...

OH Google: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.11/kosher.html

" A retired helicopter engineer who is himself Orthodox, Ottensoser teaches Sabbath law to technical teams at companies like General Electric, Electrolux, and Viking. His job: to guide them in building electronic brains and mechanical guts that are Sabbath-compliant. Ottensoser works for Star-K, a nonprofit that certifies food products as kosher. Of several hundred kosher agencies in the world, Star-K is the only one that certifies technology, and Ottensoser is the firm's only appliance consultant. That makes him the world's lone kosher geek, the man tasked with certifying that the movement of every electron in an appliance is sanctioned by God.
Since he was hired seven years ago, Ottensoser has helped nine companies design Sabbath modes for more than 300 types of ovens and stoves, and dozens of refrigerators. When the feature is enabled, lights stay off and displays are blank; tones are silenced, fans stilled, compressors slowed. In a kosher fridge, there's no light, no automatic icemaker, no cold-water dispenser, no warning alarm for spoiled food, no temperature readout. Basically, Ottensoser converts your fancy - and expensive - appliance into the one your grandma bought after World War II.
One of the hardest parts of Ottensoser's job is explaining to engineers the intricacies of Jewish law. He starts by focusing on the concept of indirect action. Sabbath law prohibits Jews from performing actions that cause a direct reaction; that would qualify as forbidden work. But indirect reactions are, well, kosher. In Hebrew, this concept is called the gramma. There are two types of grammas, Ottensoser tells me. Say you hit a light switch, but it doesn't come on immediately - that's a time delay, a time gramma. There's also a gramma of mechanical indirectness, like a Rube Goldberg contraption in which a mouse turns a wheel that swings a hammer that turns a key that launches a rocket. You can't claim the mouse actually launches the rocket.
Ottensoser gets manufacturers to build the easier time gramma into their products. Rabbis differ on how much of a delay is required; the Star-K rabbinical authority, Moshe Heinemann, authorizes a 5-second lag. To be on the safe side, Ottensoser increased the delay to 15 seconds and a random wait of as much as 10 seconds. Why? "An indirect action is one where you can't predict what's going to happen," he says".

Last edited:
The apartment has one of those low-end 4-burner (only 1 big one) electric stoves. It doesn't even have a dang clock! The funny thing is I have done a ton of cooking on it since we moved in 3 months ago. What I discovered was it wasn't about the appliance......it was about having the time to use it! :)

I checked "other" because I can use EITHER. I have a Meile cooktop that has three units, one two-burner electric, one two-burner gas, one electric grill. On the deck I have a gas grill. The best of all worlds, and when the power goes out I just light the gas with a match. Life is good.

For the new house I am going all gas. The gas oven will be true convection also, and that should help maintain even heating.

I hadn't thought about the moist heat of gas versus the dry heat of electric in the oven. The model I am considering gets excellent baking ratings from consumer reports.

They make "duel fuel" ranges now too - gas cooktop and electric oven. I hadn't really considered that option.

Audrey

We have a dual fuel range. Gas stovetop, electric oven. Best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom