Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...........Raccoons as pets, anyone?
When I was a kid, one of the neighbor boys "adopted" a baby raccoon. It was delightful as a kitten but after maturity turned into a monster that no one could control - like so many wild animals as pets.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 AM   #42

Had a neighbor do the same. Neuter/spaying of domesticated animals helps to prevent some of the more undesirable wild animal traits. Had another neighbor with a de-scented skunk. Also a fairly nice pet, but still, why not just get a cat.
The raccoon could be walked on a leash and had a big jungle gym type of enclosure in their back yard.
I should mention that both of these were adults. No one was foolish enough to let children handle these animals.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFrugal View Post
Our friends who lived on a ranch called them mini grizzly bears. We had one try to rip through our tent when we were camping and asleep inside in our sleeping bags.

My wife and kids were camping a few weeks ago.... and they raided the food... took anything they could rip open, like bread, cereal etc... I think she will keep it in the car going forward...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Guy really and truly is eggheaded! Kept waiting for the coon to have an up close and personal discussion with him regarding opening the door. Imagine my disappointment.
Coons are rough. I had a pit bull that wouldn't back down from anything. One morning I let him out without looking around the yard. He shot off after a coon. Somehow they got tangled in my fence- my dogs jaws clamped on the coon's ass, the coons jaws clamped on my dog's ass.

I grabbed a shovel and started pounding on the two of them and the fence. Nobody would let go, so I got the hose. That did it, and the coon took off into the swamp.

As a kid I saw coons tear up hounds, so they may look cuddly but they are biker nasty. I give them lots of room, though that seems pretty easy here in the city.

Here's one for ya. Ever seen a possum play possum? I have, compliments of this dog. He caught a possum in the yard and in spite of their very formidble teeth he mauled it. I brought him in, and went back out to see what kind of shape the possum was in. He looked dead and I couldn't see any breathing. Fortunately for him the ground was hard, so I decided to get the hose and wet a spot so I could dig him a grave. I went inside for a half hour or so, and glanced out the window once or twice. Finally I got my shovel and dug a hole, then came back to get the possum and he was gone.

Ha
Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Interestingly, I have friends who have taken raccoons trapped in their hav-a-heart traps and relocated them.
I thought captured coons south of the Mason/Dixon line were just considered "dinner" .

Now I do understand "snipes" are a different animal...
Old 08-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Coons are rough. ...
Ha
Ran a big coon off the back porch as it was having cat food dinner - shouting and door slamming from me. Startled it and it scooted about eight feet, then turned and stood up on it's haunches facing me and whuffed "really? C'mon then!" Now mind, that coon was way out of it's weight class, but it slowed me right down - I came to a stop and went with a "my place!" bark and a purposeful, but respectful, step toward Rocky. Coon left then, dignity intact. Most wild things don't want to fight but are willing if necessary. Coons seem more willing than most.

Last night watched a conflict between dumb possum and a little Flower over rights to a container of spoiled sour cream. Think possum was too dumb to leave till I slammed the door, then it scooted, Flower fell off the porch and then struggled through the flower vines to the sour cream - a process made much more difficult by keeping her tail in the locked, upright and fully bushy position.

Cats and coons don't bother each other at all here - lots of food, the cats move right away if the coons want to eat. Have seen the coons pass the cats within inches and watched cats sitting on a bench laying down watching the coons eat their food from a 16" distance.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Combination locks. Racoons are cunning, but they have no head for numbers.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
...it scooted about eight feet, then turned and stood up on its haunches facing me and whuffed "really? C'mon then!" Now mind, that coon was way out of its weight class, but it slowed me right down...
Out of its weight class? I am not so sure.

Well, if it were an African honey badger weighting 30lbs, most people would run!

Honey badgers LOVE to hunt cobras and puff adders for snacks. They can even defend themselves against lions, and have been named Most Fearless Mammal by the Guinness Book of Records.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Badgers!!!!!!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Flower came for dinner tonight. Pretty kitty and such a fluffy tail - this is about 3 feet from the open back door - the flash didn't even startle her:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1934.jpg (555.2 KB, 0 views)