Kitty using my yard as a potty=smells=what do do?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have someone's kitty who is peeing in my gravel yard, and it smells strongly of cat urine (pee-yeeeew!). Has anyone ever had this problem, and any suggestions as to what I can do to get rid of this smell? Since the yard is gravel with no grass, he thinks it's kitty litter I guess.:blush:
Anyone know enough about cat behavior to know why he picks my lawn? I have no cat here and either did the previous owners, and I haven't seen any other cats wandering around. In other words, why my yard? He's been doing this for a long time, because the yard smelled of cat pee when I looked at the house even.

If you see him doing it you can turn the hose on him or keep a spray bottle handy and squirt him with water when he comes in your yard.

There are a number of products available in big pet stores that are animal repellents, some for indoor use and some for outdoor. I'd spray that on the perimeter of your gravel area (reapply after rain) and like tooFrugal says, spray him/her with the hose if you see the cat squatting.
I think ammonia will kill the odor, mix it in a sprayer with water and hose down the area. There is a pricier product, called Nature's Miracle, that I've treated fabrics with good result.

This also brings up the fabulous memory of CFB discussing the atomic white kitty litter he tried with his cats, who disdained it in favor of using a big crate of CDs, at which time he learned that CDs can be washed without permanent damage. LOL!

You might consider a Contech CatStop Ultrasonic Outdoor Cat Deterrent. You can find them on Amazon.com. I know someone who had good luck with this product.

A cat marks his or her territory.... and will come and do it again and again... and another cat can come and mark over the first one...

My friend used mouse traps for awhile... after a few snaps on kitty, seems to have gone to another location to do it...

My friend used mouse traps for awhile... after a few snaps on kitty, seems to have gone to another location to do it...

Wish I'd though of that when the neighborhood cats would use my kids' sandbox to poop in whenever they'd forget to put the lid back on.

We had a racoon problem once so we borrowed a racoon cage from a friend who told us to bait it with cat food. (nothing painful, the door simply snaps shut after the animal walks in)

For 3 successive nights we caught neighborhood cats who were terrified by morning and raced away when I raised the lid. On the 4th night we caught the racoon and handed it over to Animal Control.

A nice side effect was that we never saw those 3 particular cats again.

That sandbox is a problem--too inviting for any cat to pass up a giant litter box! My sister has cats and kids and boy did she learn that lid thing in a hurry.
Alan, those Hav-a-Heart traps are great. I trapped one of my semi-feral personal cats in one as a kitten up at the gas station. She was like handling a 5 oz bobcat. Now she's fat and lazy.

On the 4th night we caught the racoon and handed it over to Animal Control.

Alan, As you know, I volunteer at an animal shelter. They also handle animal control for the heavily populated county I live in (DC suburbs). Often people catch wild animals like raccoons and squirrels and bring them in to be euthanized.

Our shelter has a new staff member in charge of educating the public about local wildlife. Through her, I’ve learned it's often best to use deterrents or remove the temptation rather than bring them in to be euthanized. Yes, wildlife can be a nuisance, but we can't catch and kill them all. Plus, if lots of people did this animal control would have to hire a lot more people likely resulting in a significant increase in expenses – usually at the cost of local taxpayers.

Therefore, it's better to learn how to live with them or deter them from becoming a problem in the first place.

I would encourage you to check with your local animal control department or do some independent research for tips on dealing/living with wildlife.

Alan, As you know, I volunteer at an animal shelter. They also handle animal control for the heavily populated county I live in (DC suburbs). Often people catch wild animals like raccoons and squirrels and bring them in to be euthanized.

Our shelter has a new staff member in charge of educating the public about local wildlife. Through her, I’ve learned it's often best to use deterrents or remove the temptation rather than bring them in to be euthanized. Yes, wildlife can be a nuisance, but we can't catch and kill them all. Plus, if lots of people did this animal control would have to hire a lot more people likely resulting in a significant increase in expenses – usually at the cost of local taxpayers.

Therefore, it's better to learn how to live with them or deter them from becoming a problem in the first place.

I would encourage you to check with your local animal control department or do some independent research for tips on dealing/living with wildlife.

Other than rats (and insects of course) this is the only major issue I've had with wildlife. For some reason the racoon had decided it liked our roof and ate a hole right through the middle, big enough to put your hand through. When I called animal control they told me to leave the cage on the driveway, and when I got back from work that day the racoon was gone. I have no idea what they did with it (and I admit that I didn't much care - sorry).

I have no idea what attracted it to climb onto the roof of a 2 story house and eat out a big hole. While I was on the roof I noticed a similar situation on my neighbors house and when we climbed up there we could see that it had started to make a hole and had already removed some shingles. Very strange and expensive behavior.

I have no idea what attracted it to climb onto the roof of a 2 story house and eat out a big hole. While I was on the roof I noticed a similar situation on my neighbors house and when we climbed up there we could see that it had started to make a hole and had already removed some shingles. Very strange and expensive behavior.

This is exactly why it's a good idea to look into this a little more. Whatever attracted the last raccoon will likely attract more. Better to figure out the attraction to your house than risk more damage and have to go through this ordeal again.

Yes, I'm very much in favor of humane solutions to animal problems whenever possible. I'm also convinced the humane solution is often the most effective one too.

This is exactly why it's a good idea to look into this a little more. Whatever attracted the last raccoon will likely attract more. Better to figure out the attraction to your house than risk more damage and have to go through this ordeal again.

Yes, I'm very much in favor of humane solutions to animal problems whenever possible. I'm also convinced the humane solution is often the most effective one too.

The incident happened over 10 years ago. Never had a problem before or since. :confused:

The guy who came to repair the roof did tell us about a horrible experience he had. One night he was watching TV with his wife and kids when a racoon fell down their chimney. Apparently there was soot everywhere, the kids were screaming and he had a heck of a job trying to shoo a very frightened, manic, racoon out of the house. :LOL:

The incident happened over 10 years ago. Never had a problem before or since. :confused:

The guy who came to repair the roof did tell us about a horrible experience he had. One night he was watching TV with his wife and kids when a racoon fell down their chimney. Apparently there was soot everywhere, the kids were screaming and he had a heck of a job trying to shoo a very frightened, manic, racoon out of the house. :LOL:

Yup, we had a similiar experience years ago with a squirrel coming down the chimney:eek:. Managed to shoo it out the front door, but not before it got soot on everything and freaked us all out. One other point about raccoons - they can carry rabies. Another reason to repel them before they take up residence in your home.

Very strange and expensive behavior.
There is a video (I think i saw it on YouTube) a guy took of a raccoon eating and ripping its way out of his attic and into his kitchen through the ceiling.

Last edited:
Pepper...yeah, I got rid of the deer eating my tomatoes that way,too. Nice, cheap idea.

Interestingly, I have friends who have taken raccoons trapped in their hav-a-heart traps and relocated them. This is quite illegal of course, but it does make them feel better than knowing they'll be euthanized. I can't exactly endorse the practice, but I do understand the feelings.

Interestingly, I have friends who have taken raccoons trapped in their hav-a-heart traps and relocated them. This is quite illegal of course...
Why illegal? Because the relocation is to their in-law's home or their ex's home? :LOL:

Because of the possibility of spreading diseases like rabies I guess. Plus, when you think about it, it is kinda rude to add to another community's nuisance wildlife population.
Mostly because they caught the raccoon on one island and drove across 3 bridges to dump the 'coon out near our house on another island! But I like the way you think, NW.

Guy really and truly is eggheaded! Kept waiting for the coon to have an up close and personal discussion with him regarding opening the door. Imagine my disappointment.

Oh - and thread title? What do do? Cat do do.

Back
Top Bottom