Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
None here that I can think of... I run wirh a pretty slow crowd.
Someone here was living on bank stock dividends when the crash hit. As I recall, he had to go back to work.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I know of several people who discovered that they wanted more discretionary money after they retired, but didn't want to pinch pennies to get it.

The solution was a part time job doing something more enjoyable (and paying less) than previously. Is that un-retiring? I don't know. They would not have taken these jobs if they had more money.

To some people, this would be a continuation of retirement but keeping busy with less stressful employment. But to me, that means they retired too early and needed to go back to work. So, are they retired, or not? It doesn't really matter what you call it. It's just a situation some people end up with.

The best way to avoid this happening is to keep track of spending before retirement, and to realize that you may want to spend more when work is not taking up so much of your time. So, plan for this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:28 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I had a friend that retired 3 different times. Then he was offered a VP position for a security firm and since this was his specialty he could not pass it up. He took a struggling company and made them profitable and loved it. He got terminal cancer and worked up to the last year because he loved it so much. Although not very old at 67 he and his wife had traveled for years so no regrets.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Still, "Tex" got to live "the dream" for a little while, and that's worth something.
Buy experiences not things......................
Old 10-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can I plead the 5th?
dixonge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
No. Most I know never retired.
I think there are many shades of grey in the stages of 'retirement'. I know of several folks who have retired from an engineering or manufacturing career, and are now working part time at Lowes or the local hardware store. Not because they need the money, but because they enjoy some aspect of the job. And, because it generates a bit of 'mad money'.

I think there is a big distinction between working a post-retirement job because you enjoy it and working a post-retirement job because you need the money.
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #27

My sister always said "retire early, retire often"
Old 10-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #28

To the OP I didn't have to but chose to on a very part time basis.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rta-83654.html
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
I think there is a big distinction between working a post-retirement job because you enjoy it and working a post-retirement job because you need the money.
Exactly. I stumbled into a low-stress, relatively high-paying, and close by (3.4 miles) job post-retirement that I stayed in for about five years. The people were decent, I could get time off when needed, and the hours suited me. But when conditions went south I had the freedom to quit, and did.

Many of the others there were also retired from previous careers and did not have that option because they were saddled with too much debt.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I am working p.t. by choice teaching an online class at the university which I love. I knew a few people also (not very well) that retired in 40's from professional careers and were sorry in their 60's because they have to penny pinch so hard. No clue if they tried to go back to work at some point.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Exactly. I stumbled into a low-stress, relatively high-paying, and close by (3.4 miles) job post-retirement that I stayed in for about five years. The people were decent, I could get time off when needed, and the hours suited me. But when conditions went south I had the freedom to quit, and did.

Many of the others there were also retired from previous careers and did not have that option because they were saddled with too much debt.
I un-retired after 9 months or so. First there was an independent, part-time thing from home, then a great offer for full time - 18.5 mile drive, though.

I had to take it, as the cash flow and money saved will fund necessary things. Spouse is younger, so that had additional bearing on things.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:08 PM   #32

DH retired from his career at 57 (mandatory age). While we don't need the money, he continues to do contract work when available. Sometimes he works 40 hrs/week, other times he has no work. He's happier when he has something to do, and hasn't found any hobbies to keep him busy. So he works.

I had a summer job as a whitewater rafting guide; not for the money but for the fun. I'll do it again next summer.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

One of my friends sold an almost paid off house and then built a new one that ended up costing far too much. He was planning on retiring this past spring (with a reduced pension), but can't afford to do so because of the new larger mortgage. Had he remained in the old house he'd be retired today.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #34

Slightly askew of the topic: about 20 years ago a colleague (single/childless) at my work place celebrated her 55th birthday at lunch with some of her friends. I ran into her as she returned, having stopped at the HR office first. She said, "Now that I am 55, I thought I should sign up for the 401(k) and start saving for retirement." Our employer was providing a 100% match up to 8% of our contributed salary at that time. I sometimes wonder if she ever retired, much less retired/returned to work.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:26 PM   #35

A friend retired in his 40s, then had to unretire for about 10 years when an expensive divorce cut his assets below his comfort level.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #36

I knew several. Most took the lump sum benefit instead of the pension annuity. When 2000 and 2007/2008 hit their investments tanked and they had no long term income stream available. They went back to working in the coal mines again.

I know one who after retired spent $40,000 redoing their kitchen. One spent a year traveling the US with his DW on a motorcycle. Another bought some rentals, had a fire, had a roof replacement, and a lengthy eviction. YMMV.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #37

Curt Shilling, twice. The first time he blew through $50 million on a video game start-up that failed. Most recently, he was fired for making comments similar in nature to a presidential candidate.

A co-worker returned to work after his business faiiled.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #38

A colleague of mine retired, then came back about 18 months later in a contracting position. Her mother needed long term medical care and had not planned as well. So she worked in a low stress role for about 2 years to bridge the gap without impacting her own plans too much.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #39

I have a couple friends who have had trouble staying retired... not for money... just they want to keep working.

One is someone who I volunteer with on a community effort. He is a retired military officer who went on to become a city councilman, then ran the bus/light rail system, and now serves on the regional transportation and governments board. He keeps saying he's done - but he can't give up working in public service.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #40

I have a had a bit of trouble with the wanting to work just a bit. (and appreciating the extra $$).

Right now I work two days a week at a job-skills training program. Several times a month, DH suggests I quit because he enjoys staying home 7 days a week so much.

As long as it is rewarding and I can remember how to do it, I hope to stay with it. But, that desire could change. Being fully retired was fun.

I take off for trips whenever I ask. When/if I get "turned down" for time off, I'd definitely give my notice. For years I had to work; it is nice to know that I can work without needing to.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote