Join Early Retirement Today

Kodi and Roku update
Old 01-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Kodi and Roku update

first the newest Roku:
Roku Express $29.95 $10 more for AV RCA connector for old TVs.

Bought one for the guest room. Perfect. Works the same as my Roku3.

I share Netflix with my son, and he shares his Amazon Prime with me.

One more thing... If you haven't looked yet, you might wanna try Kodi... .
Now Kodi (formerly XBMC)

https://kodi.tv/

Free, interesting and many options... Suggest you look it up. I am using it, but not experienced enough to give it a review. So far, I like what I see.
Hope someone here will open the discussion.

Open Source...Don't let the first page throw you. It's nerds talking to nerds, but the program itself works quite well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We use Kodi on both of our Fire TV boxes for live OTA TV, program guide, and DVR functionality. It's also set up to access our owned media (movies, music, photos, home video), but we rarely use it for anything other than live or recorded TV. Along with Netflix, Amazon Prime, CuriosityStream, and all the other free apps on Fire TV, we have access to everything we would ever want to watch.

I've used XBMC/Kodi for years. It's not as easy to set up as Plex, but unlike Plex, it's free, open source, and well-supported by the online community. The third party add-on's are limitless, but beware... many of them will point you to pirated content. It's best to stick with the official Kodi add-on's.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just started using Kodi on my new Sony Bravia, also like what I see. Was not able to get it to record yet. So if you know some tricks, pls share.

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaberetiree View Post
I just started using Kodi on my new Sony Bravia, also like what I see. Was not able to get it to record yet. So if you know some tricks, pls share.
There are a number of different ways to do this. I'll describe my setup, which is fairly common according to online research I've done.

First, we have a HDHomeRun tuner that receives the OTA signal and is hooked up to our network (Cat5 to router). Thus any device on the home network can watch live TV.

Next, we have a desktop PC with Windows Media Center (WMC) configured to access the tuner. It's also set up to record using the PC's HDD and it gets free access to electronic program guide (EPG).

To get all this over to Kodi requires a simple piece of free software called ServerWMC, which does exactly what its name implies... it acts as a server for WMC so that Kodi (the client) can access it. We don't actually use WMC or even have it running on the PC. It just needs to be configured one time and ServerWMC does the rest.

In Kodi, set-up is simple. Under settings, you have to enable Live TV. After doing that, it asks you to select which PVR software to use. Choose ServerWMC from the list. The only configuration required within Kodi is to tell it the name of the PC running ServerWMC.

That's it. Now any device running Kodi on your network can watch live TV, along with the EPG, and full DVR functionality. Totally free. As I said, we have Kodi running on two Fire TV boxes and I also have it on my Android phone. Kodi will run on virtually any platform.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
There are a number of different ways to do this. I'll describe my setup, which is fairly common according to online research I've done.

First, we have a HDHomeRun tuner that receives the OTA signal and is hooked up to our network (Cat5 to router). Thus any device on the home network can watch live TV.

Next, we have a desktop PC with Windows Media Center (WMC) configured to access the tuner. It's also set up to record using the PC's HDD and it gets free access to electronic program guide (EPG).

To get all this over to Kodi requires a simple piece of free software called ServerWMC, which does exactly what its name implies... it acts as a server for WMC so that Kodi (the client) can access it. We don't actually use WMC or even have it running on the PC. It just needs to be configured one time and ServerWMC does the rest.

In Kodi, set-up is simple. Under settings, you have to enable Live TV. After doing that, it asks you to select which PVR software to use. Choose ServerWMC from the list. The only configuration required within Kodi is to tell it the name of the PC running ServerWMC.

That's it. Now any device running Kodi on your network can watch live TV, along with the EPG, and full DVR functionality. Totally free. As I said, we have Kodi running on two Fire TV boxes and I also have it on my Android phone. Kodi will run on virtually any platform.
Thanks for details, very helpful.
In my case I'd like to record from the direct link, w/o a tuner and could not get it to work yet, but will keep trying .

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Bump for the latest Kodi update.

New Kodi 17 “Krypton” Is Out Now – Brings Tons Of Changes Along With A New Default Skin | MobiPicker

For some of us less nerdy types, it may seem too complicated to try but as with anything else, it's a learning process. Since it's free, nothing ventured, and maybe something to be gained. Worth a try.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Bump for the latest Kodi update.
Related article: Kodi Is Not a Piracy Application
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

A suggestion for Roku... XTV

Think you'll like this one. Free... much live, and many recent movies.

https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/xtv

You might also wanna try TubiTV