Join Early Retirement Today

Ko'olau sunrise
Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Ko'olau sunrise

Our house sits up on a ridge with a panoramic view of the Ko'olau. Taking a picture of the entire sweep is well beyond my meager photo ability, and usually they're shrouded in clouds & mauka showers.

But once or twice a year it's too cold for the morning clouds and you can see the entire range. It's even better at sunrise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pre-dawn.jpg (49.6 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Getting closer.jpg (50.1 KB, 142 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Ko'olau sunrise
Old 02-13-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Almost there.jpg (49.9 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Mark sunrise.jpg (50.8 KB, 142 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Beautiful pics in paradise. Hawaii is a great place for those that love the water. I've got a friend in the Navy stationed in Oahu and we're trying to go for a visit before he PCSs in 2008. He's already going crazy because he says there's nothing to do. It doesn't help that he can't swim :
Old 02-13-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use a program called pix-around. Got it on line. It works real good to stitch individual pictures in to panoramas.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

We're gonna be in Hawaii next month Can't wait!
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #6

Our trip to Oahu and Kauai 10 years ago was our first vacation without kids, so I remember it as particualrly idyllic It was my 7-year sabbatical from work, and we spoiled ourselves...catamaran venture to snorkel spots and fab views around Kauai, helicopter tour, Wrangler rental, beaches to ourselves, incredible fruit and seafood, very relaxing and fun.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
He's already going crazy because he says there's nothing to do. It doesn't help that he can't swim* :
Gosh, according to the Navy's required training standards he's a third-class swimmer!

"Nothing to do."* Unbelievable.* Even if he's standing 12-hour shifts, he needs to flip through the "101 Things to do in Hawaii" guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
We're gonna be in Hawaii next month Can't wait!
If you surf, or if you want to learn, send me a PM.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #8

Nords I heard something on the news today about the problem getting foam boards and that someone was going to try using some kind of foam the goverment produces. I didn't catch the whole thing but I immediately thought of you.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #9

Hey man, you need a neighbor?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:31 PM   #10

Beautiful!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I didn't catch the whole thing but I immediately thought of you.
Looks like local foam companies (all over the world) are rushing in to pick up the slack, so I think things will settle down.* As Ronin mentioned earlier, low-cost producers are starting to flood Costco with epoxy boards that don't depend on foam blanks.

Board shapers are really finding out who their buddies are.* I unloaded three decrepit starter boards by advertising them as "made from Clark foam blanks".

We have a 9'0", an 8'0", and a 6'6".* I'm 5'10" and 185 pounds, so we won't be needing a new board until I get "bored" with the short one.* Even then it's pretty much pearls before swine, but I figure that I have four or five decades to get better before I have to start shopping for a custom board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Hey man, you need a neighbor?
Ironically I was shooting across the former canefields (now cornfields) of what is already a Costco & a Seattle's Best, upgrading to become Koa Ridge Makai, 3000 homes on 750 acres coming to you in 2010.

Old 02-15-2006, 05:43 AM   #12

For some reason I had previously pictured you on the windward side, but you seem to be somewhere in the vicinity of Mililani?

Bpp

bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
For some reason I had previously pictured you on the windward side, but you seem to be somewhere in the vicinity of Mililani?
Yep, overlooking Kipapa Gulch. Best home we've ever lived in, and hopefully will ever live in.

Don't often get over to windward-- many parts are much more rainy & humid than Mililani and the bugs are a hassle in some areas, although H-3 has dramatically improved the traffic. Here it's one of the sunniest spots on the island and the trades keep the mosquitos away.

Old 02-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #14

Nords, my assistant is leaving tomorrow for your wonderful islands, is there anything you can recommend that a normal tourist wouldn't know about but should see?

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Just beautiful! It was nice to look at your pictures while sitting here at work - A mental health break from dealing with attorneys!
Old 02-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Nords, my assistant is leaving tomorrow for your wonderful islands, is there anything you can recommend that a normal tourist wouldn't* know about but should see?
Lunch at Oahu's La Mariana Sailing Club by the Ke'ehi Lagoon. (Don't dress up.) Dinners are good too and I think they have live music on Friday night, but it's not necessarily the type of thing you'd see at Waikiki. It's more the locals living aboard their boats and hanging out after work.

Hiking Waimea Valley or taking a trail ride above the valley (Happy Trails).

For military veterans/enthusiasts, the Fort DeRussy & Schofield Barracks museums.

Rent a home at the Big Island's Kapoho Beach community with your own lava-heated backyard tidepool.

Thompson Ranch on Maui, although I don't know how the new owner (Oprah) is going to change the tours or the horseback rides.