Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
and I am more than just a bit squirrely about close-up contact with other people (aka the don't hug me person).
Not a problem Sarah, the mugger is usually not a hugger.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am considering it. But my employer may not allow it. Heck, some of the anti-bear sprays they sell locally look like fire extinguishers.
Which suggests an idea: Scan the label from a fire extinguisher, make a nice color copy at Kinkos, affix to anti-bear mace bottle. Surely no employer prohibits their employees from carrying a fire extinguisher under the seat?

For the train--Lots of people carry aerosols in their briefcase, a relabelling might work there, too. To the mugger: "How about a nice Binaca blast?"

The transit authorities might frown on this, however.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You do not want to box or wrestle an attacker. YMMV, and those with actual experience in being attacked, versus MMA training, may have a different view, but the object is to disable the attack(er), then get the hell out. Gouge out their eyes, fracture their larynx, rip off their boys...
My preference would be to not be present when the bad stuff goes down, but I'll take a swift retreat over duking it out with somebody every time.

Anybody who has been in a fight since high school knows that if you want to win you need to bring your A game. You need to be in good physical condition, have the right mental attitude, some experience/training, and a little help doesn't hurt. In the real world, when survival is the goal rather than winning, if you can't avoid the fight in the first place, go past/through/over your attacker and run away.
Quote:
If you pull a knife or gun, you'd better use it immediately, or it'll be taken away from you, and used ON you.
Or as I heard it said once, "If you pull your pistol without the intent to use it, you best carry one made out of chocolate, because somebody is going to make you eat it."
Quote:
TV and movies heroes aside, a couple of karate chops can not be counted on to stop an attack. I've seen guys take a pool cue or beer bottle up side the head, and keep right on going.
There are guys who've been shot a couple of times who keep fighting, running and gunning.

Quote:
You must lead a far more interesting life than I do.
You just don't go to the right kind of bars!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
In the real world, when survival is the goal rather than winning, if you can't avoid the fight in the first place, go past/through/over your attacker and run away.
I don't know if this would work for guys, but screaming at about a billion decibels or louder seems to be extremely helpful for women when attacked by a stranger.

Don't ask me how I know. You may have noticed that I am alive, though. Anyway, I know for a fact that it can be very effective when completely overpowered, and might be worth trying as a last resort when every other tactic has failed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know if this would work for guys, but screaming at about a billion decibels or louder seems to be extremely helpful for women when attacked by a stranger.

Don't ask me how I know. You may have noticed that I am alive, though. Anyway, I know for a fact that it can be very effective when completely overpowered, and might be worth trying as a last resort when every other tactic has failed.
I suspect the men of ER are much too macho for that and would rather take a beating
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I called the place in the location I will be travelling and talked to the instructor. Seemed like a reasonable person and he made it clear they separate out the MMA wannabes from the regular Joes and law enforcement types who just want to learn what to do to get away. He suggested a cup and mouth protector, so this is clearly a contact sport.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
You just don't go to the right kind of bars!
And neither do I, anymore...

Quote:
Better than being driven away, in your own car, to an abandoned country road...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Better than being driven away, in your own car, to an abandoned country road...
I couldn't agree more... Much to my amazement, it seems to work like magic even if nobody else hears/responds to the scream.

And yes, DFW_M5, you're probably right that the "Men of ER" (I am envisioning a beefcake calendar) probably would be too macho to scream. On the other hand, when in a life-or-death battle, in desperation people will sometimes do something a little out of character to survive.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #49

Quote:
I am considering it. But my employer may not allow it.
Sorry, but that's just too bizarre for me to even contemplate.
Unless you have been SPECIFICALLY forbidden to do something, you need to do whatever you think is appropriate.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Sorry, but that's just too bizarre for me to even contemplate.
Unless you have been SPECIFICALLY forbidden to do something, you need to do whatever you think is appropriate.
I am specifically forbidden from bringing anything even resembling a weapon onto the premises.

- George Orwell

Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

How about pens, keychains, flashlights....

Quote:
Self defense is serious business, and sometimes even the smallest most discrete weapon can do severe damage to your attacker. Such is the case with the kubaton. The kubotan looks like an ordinary keychain, but in fact, it is a machined aluminum protection device. Kubotans are great for jabbing, pressure points, key slashing and eye gouging. Whatever it takes to ward off the attacker. They are inexpensive and virtually indestructible. Kubotans are great for men as well as women.
Kubatons - Batons - J & L Self Defense Products

(I don't have any experience with this company)
Old 11-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
How about pens, keychains, flashlights....

Kubatons - Batons - J & L Self Defense Products

(I don't have any experience with this company)
I had a flight two weeks after 9/11. I chose to keep a mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket, in case I had to stick it in some hijackers eye or something...

Just so happened that there were several military personnel on that flight; I was never so glad...

Heck, if you're Jason Bourne, all you need is an ink pen, and a rolled-up magazine...

Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff

WTF Don't tease us like this Brewer, what's going on? In our collective vast and varied experience we may have better approaches than MA training. And, of course, there is a modicum of plain old morbid curiosity.
I agree, I have no idea what we are talking about. Let's lift the veil.

And how is it that a boss is allowed to search vehicles?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
And how is it that a boss is allowed to search vehicles?
His property, his rules. Like the sign on the pole says: All vehicles entering this property are subject to search." Some employers put it in the contract as a condition of employment, too. Heck, if they can make you pee in a bottle, they can sure search your car.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
His property, his rules. Like the sign on the pole says: All vehicles entering this property are subject to search." Some employers put it in the contract as a condition of employment, too. Heck, if they can make you pee in a bottle, they can sure search your car.
Exactly. Plus I don't drive to work so there is no car to search. The building is highly secure for a good reason.

- George Orwell

Old 11-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I know for a fact that it can be very effective when completely overpowered, and might be worth trying as a last resort when every other tactic has failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I suspect the men of ER are much too macho for that and would rather take a beating
In taekwondo that's known as a "kihap"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
And yes, DFW_M5, you're probably right that the "Men of ER" (I am envisioning a beefcake calendar) probably would be too macho to scream. On the other hand, when in a life-or-death battle, in desperation people will sometimes do something a little out of character to survive.
The other limitation with screaming is there has to be someone nearby to hear you and also willing to get involved and while the screaming tactic may work, a whistle may be better.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
So, I'm guessing they don't search it when you're not there. Do they say "OK, Al, let's go search your car now?"
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In taekwondo that's known as a "kihap"...
I don't need training to run away screaming...

Is peeing your pants also part of the strategy?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is peeing your pants also part of the strategy?
I'm sorry, there are some advanced black-belt techniques that I just haven't made the time to learn yet...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
occupy foot in your ass