Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The other limitation with screaming is there has to be someone nearby to hear you and also willing to get involved
That SOUNDS logical but amazingly, it isn't true. I know, I would be skeptical too if I didn't already know from experience that screaming actually works when nobody is near enough to hear or respond to it. Guess it unnerved the guy. Believe me, it was the loudest sound ever uttered by a human being in the history of the earth - - I had no idea I could scream that loudly.

Nobody ever did hear or respond to my screaming, either, even after the guy left. I walked away after he left, and here I am, alive and able to tell you about it 45 years later.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, let's review Brewer: you work in a place that exposes you to dangerous attacks and your boss refuses to allow you to bring defensive weapons? This was an upgrade from your previous employment? Is there any reason you couldn't ER early via a lawsuit if the intentional exposure to violence results in serious injury?

Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That SOUNDS logical but amazingly, it isn't true. I know, I would be skeptical too if I didn't already know from experience that screaming actually works when nobody is near enough to hear or respond to it. Guess it unnerved the guy. Believe me, it was the loudest sound ever uttered by a human being in the history of the earth - - I had no idea I could scream that loudly.

Nobody ever did hear or respond to my screaming, either, even after the guy left. I walked away after he left, and here I am, alive and able to tell you about it 45 years later.
I didn't say screaming doesn't work, but suggested it may have limitations. If you can't run or disable or disable and then run, absolutely scream away as it may very well scare off many attackers or use it along with the previously mentioned tactics. Frequently with children, the recommendation of carrying a whistle or personal alarm device is recommended over lung power.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #64

I must say, this thread has me baffled.

Brewer, I thought you worked in the the financial services business. Has the Occupy Wall Street movement become that violent in your new location?
Old 11-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

For obvious reasons, I do not care to come out and name my employer.

I work in a highly secure building (when I am not travelling, as I frequently do) filled with LEOs and security measures I don't even have a clue about. Unfortunately, my employer has become a sh!t magnet with certain political elements. Marches and tent camps are one thing. Other incidents are starting to happen, like the building being surrounded by a march while employees going to their cars in the parking lot are heckled. This week some of these cretins stationed themselves outside the public entrance and confronted employees coming and going. Nothing actually violent yet (aside from some goofball who tangled with one of our securty staff and was promtly arrested a few months ago), but I do not like where this is going.

For now, the easy out is to enter/leave via a service entrance that is not particularly obvious. I am inclined to give my employer the benefit of the doubt WRT dealing with threats (they are very vigilent). I ave seen an increase in patrols around the perimeter by our armed security staff, but there are also first amendment issues to consider as well. I am going to be travelling the next three weeks during which time I will frequent a krav maga studio and get some training. Hopefully by the time I get back the crazies will either have moved on to the next opportunity to make asses of themselves, or it will be cold enough that standing outside in Colorado loses its charm. If not, I and I suspect many other employees will be making a big deal about it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #66

Brewer,

The other issue with what you described is that if you get attacked by a mob, even Krav Maga may be useless. Hopefully your employer or the police will do more to ensure employee safety if this persists.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Brewer,

The other issue with what you described is that if you get attacked by a mob, even Krav Maga may be useless. Hopefully your employer or the police will do more to ensure employee safety if this persists.
That is the plan. I don't intend to let it get that far. Its easy to see if there is a group outside the door and either go out the other door or say something to the security detail. I don't wear a uniform or anything so once I am 10 strides away from the building I look like anybody else on the street.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #68
Administrator

If this gets any worse, maybe you will get some opportunities to telecommute.

Take care, and stay in groups if you can.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know if this would work for guys, but screaming at about a billion decibels or louder seems to be extremely helpful for women when attacked by a stranger. (snip)
Quote:
(snip) Frequently with children, the recommendation of carrying a whistle or personal alarm device is recommended over lung power.
That gives me an idea...would an air horn (such as used by rowdy soccer fans) be considered a weapon by your employer? I would imagining letting off something that loud right in an attacker's ear would faze them at least momentarily, allowing escape.

P.S. I too have personal experience of the power of a loud voice to break off an attack, although in my case it was an attack on someone else rather than on myself.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am going to be travelling the next three weeks during which time I will frequent a krav maga studio and get some training.
3 weeks? Maybe time to read your second quote from Iron Mike.

The only hope I'd see is that it'd be enough exposure to understand the futility of it all. I recommend training for its own sake. Just my experience.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
3 weeks? Maybe time to read your second quote from Iron Mike.

The only hope I'd see is that it'd be enough exposure to understand the futility of it all. I recommend training for its own sake. Just my experience.
If I don't care for it or don't learn anything I can always quit. In the meantime it will fill my evenings while on the road.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #72

There you go. I hope you do enjoy it. It's a good way to meet people. I have always trained in my world travels and found it to be very fun, usually.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #73

Well the addtl info does help, because these are not "pro" fighters that want to rob you. I think in all seriousness that one good #3 elbow would take the fight right out of someone like you've described. It is one thing to initiate a fight but quite another to carry on after getting a painful first hit from someone you think is a dim office drone.
Go for it, Brew.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
occupy foot in your ass