Krispy Kreme and the mystery of corp. shortfalls

Re: Krispy Kreme and the mystery of corp. shortfal

Bon Temps Rollere! - let the good times roll.

New Orleans - other people eat to live. Down here we - we live to eat.

Holy trinity of LA cooking - onions, celery and bell pepper. And lots of garlic - for medicinal purposes - of course.

I ate the world's supply of Quaker Oats and Ralston Purina as a little snot growing up in The state of Washington (with cinnamon).

Do what you gotta do - but never let a chance to party pass you by.

P.S. - looks like some hard times ahead - Saints season tickets are being advertised for $150 this year.

Your BMI should never have varied all your adult life.

No offense Zipper, but BMI is a joke. It's thrown around as a one-size-fits-all indicator. Phooey.

No offense Zipper, but BMI is a joke.  It's thrown around as a one-size-fits-all indicator.  Phooey.

You're right that it doesn't work for those who are quite muscular - body builders and professional and serious amateur athletes. However, for a large percentage (95%+) of the population it IS a good indicator. Often though the "BMI doesn't work for muscular people" excuse is thrown around by those who look like the Michelin man.

cdon.jpg

Webmester's comments are very sage. High hdl and low triglycerides are much more important than total cholesterol for most people. Heart disease is mediated more by insulin resistance (pre type II diabetes) than by indulging in animal fat per se. Insulin resistance is caused by the constant lifelong overload of sugars and simple carbs (that become sugars in YOU). Trans fats (hydrogenation) are proven to be much more insidious than "real" fat. Become a fat burner, not a sugar burner, and watch your lipid profile improve (just as Webmester advises!). Rick :D

Hey Rick. My last work-up showed pretty high HDL and pretty low triglicerides. Damn, I feel better already.
Anyway, check back in a month to see how Wab's
suggestion works out for me. My wife said "Where did
you get this diet, a doctor?" I told her "Nope, even
better and I didn't have to pay anyone for it." :)

John Galt

My last work-up showed pretty high HDL and pretty low triglicerides.
Dammit, John Galt, I have to admit I was playing the odds.   I figured you probably had "metabolic syndrome" like 50 million other Americans.

If you've got low TriG and high HDL, you're probably one of those lucky bastards who can eat whatever they want and will still live forever. (Please adjust your SWR accordingly :))

In any case, it's a pretty painless experiment and it might still lower your LDL....

Try this one on bow-tie. I heard this almost 40 years ago in a Phys. Ed. course at University. Every inch your waist is over 32", you are 5 lbs. overweight, regardless of height. Over all my life, I've been a fitness buff, even taught it forever! ::) Check the tape and do your own research. In other words, a guy with a 40" waist needs to lose 40 lbs. :-*

Try this one on bow-tie. I heard this almost 40 years ago in a Phys. Ed. course at University. Every inch your waist is over 32", you are 5 lbs. overweight, regardless of height. Over all my life, I've been a fitness buff, even taught it forever! ::) Check the tape and do your own research. In other words, a guy with a 40" waist needs to lose 40 lbs. :-*

What do you do if your waist is less than 32"? Does it mean you are supposed to gain weight? I hope not or I will have a serious weight to gain. :D

I am in favour of balanced diet (ie: lots of veggie and fruit, some starch, some protein, little fat) and regular VIGOROUS exercise. To me it doesn't seem enough to have a leisure walk everyday, you gotta do it until your heartrate is up and you are sweating.

And eat regular meals and snacks!! I know women who try to lose weight by skipping meals and they never believe me when I told them that the only thing you achieve when you skip meals, is your body becoming more efficient in storing "fuel" (ie. fat).

Jane

What do you do if your waist is less than 32"? Does it mean you are supposed to gain weight? I hope not or I will have a serious weight to gain.

No for women it's 36 inches on the Hips :D

You are a female Jane. :D The 32" only applies to males. :)

flaxseed alert

Hey John and all you oatmeal and flaxseed buffs out there -

If you aren't used to flaxseed, start small. They are little and slippery, and unless ground up they won't do you any good. I buy the ground kind and keep it in the freezer, as it spoils easily. Other people grind it in a coffee grinder.

BUT, don't put large amounts on your oatmeal the first day. Built up slowly. Everybody's different, but flaxseed can bring digestive issues to most of us.

Anne, who has oat bran and flaxseed every morning

Sprinkle on some cinnamon Anne. :-*

Anne, who has oat bran and flaxseed every morning
Yech.

Health-nuts, let me ask a question that's been bugging me for a while. Dietary guidelines have been out there for a while that tell us to eat less fat, more fiber, etc for something like 20+ years now, right? An entire generation. And most of us either take this stuff seriously or at least know somebody who does, right?

So, why has the incidence of obesity and heart disease actually increased during this period?

Personally, I don't think the low-fat/bad-fat research is wrong per se, I just think there's an underlying incorrect assumption that dietary fat/cholesterol is more insidious than metabolically generated fat/cholesterol.

It'll probably be another 20 years or so before we know the answer, but somehow I doubt that mainstream nutritional advice is on-target. And it tastes bad too :)

Just to let you all know I am staying the course.
Met some friends at a pizza place for dinner.
I ordered an Italian sausage sandwich with a glass of
water, ate the insides out of the sandwich and gave
my friends the bread which they dipped in sauce and gobbled up. Heard some more horror stories about
cholesterol lowering drugs and so am more certain than ever I am right to avoid them.

John Galt

Yech.

Health-nuts, let me ask a question that's been bugging me for a while. Dietary guidelines have been out there for a while that tell us to eat less fat, more fiber, etc for something like 20+ years now, right? An entire generation. And most of us either take this stuff seriously or at least know somebody who does, right?

So, why has the incidence of obesity and heart disease actually increased during this period?

Personally, I don't think the low-fat/bad-fat research is wrong per se, I just think there's an underlying incorrect assumption that dietary fat/cholesterol is more insidious than metabolically generated fat/cholesterol.

It'll probably be another 20 years or so before we know the answer, but somehow I doubt that mainstream nutritional advice is on-target. And it tastes bad too :)

Thats an easy question to answer. Everybody know whats good to eat, but nobody eats it. And if they claim they do and they're fat, they're lying or sneaking crap food.

I dont have a problem with the part of "low carb" that says to cut out simple sugars and junk food. Thats sensible. I cant buy into the part that says "shovel meat and fat down as fast as you can". Fer chrissakes the guy promoting the diet just died of a heart attack! (but of course, the diet had nothing to do with it...autopsy? No thank you!). I dont get the idea of selling a good idea (cutting out sugar) and then coupling it with shovelling down cholesteral and saturated fat.

How about eating your vegetables, grains and legumes, eat smaller portions of lean meat and fish (excluding the mercury and lead laden ones), reduce your fat, trans fats and hydrogenated fats, and cut out the white sugar and junk foods? Its the diet I eat. I lose weight on it. I feel more energetic. I'm never hungry.

Not to mention 3 months after I put my wife on it she got pregnant at 43! Its the diet I tell ya. The diet. Yep, it was the diet. All the diets fault. ;)

I cant buy into the part that says "shovel meat and fat down as fast as you can".
Yeah, I was skeptical too.   I completely ignored the whole low-carb thing as a fad until pretty recently.   I was taught that sugar is basically inert and that "a calorie is a calorie."   I only came around after my latest annual check-up with a new doc (who did his post-doc research on the effects of diet on CHD).

So, we did the "before" lipid profile, then I went on a low-carb diet for 4 weeks, and then did the "after" lipid profile.    The results convinced me, and I basically dined on a breadless McDonalds diet for those 4 weeks (which was quite a change from my previous "reasonable" diet).

I don't take the results at face value.   I want to understand the metabolic pathways and to reconcile the results with all of those low-fat studies out there.

But in retrospect, I used to eat a ton of carbs.   Not just simple sugars, but fruit juices, starchy vegetables, breads, pasta, etc.  Much more than evolution would have ever considered in her design of my digestive system.    The result, in theory, is that we're all freaks of our sugar culture from an early age, and that it eventually catches up with us in the form of insulin resistance at about our age.

If you think about it, meat is mostly protein, and there's nothing bad that protein can do to you but put your kidneys under heavy load.

Apparently, there's a German study (which I still haven't found) in which they fed the participants a *lot* of animal fat -- like pounds of lard.   And then they measured what came out the other end, and got pretty much the same amount that went in.   So the current thinking is that animal fat is pretty much inert, and sugar (including the end results of complex carb metabolism) is evil in high quantities.

Start slow...

... cut out beer & bread. Or at least knock it down to a couple times a week!

But maybe it's the three tae kwon do workouts a week for the last five months.

But in retrospect, I used to eat a ton of carbs.   Not just simple sugars, but fruit juices, starchy vegetables, breads, pasta, etc.  Much more than evolution would have ever considered in her design of my digestive system.    The result, in theory, is that we're all freaks of our sugar culture from an early age, and that it eventually catches up with us in the form of insulin resistance at about our age.
quote]

I agree, on average, we are eating too much carb to start with. Average restaurant serving of pasta is double/triple of starch you are supposed to eat per meal. Coupled that with sedate lifestyle, tons of sugars and junk food, we got a problem. And we start them young too, by rewarding kids with candies, at Haloween, at Christmas, etc. (And people wonder why their kids are fatter today?)

Jane

And we start them young too, by rewarding kids with candies, at Haloween, at Christmas, etc. (And people wonder why their kids are fatter today?)
I studied biochem in college (among other diversions), and the thinking at the time was that sugar was harmless. You burned it for energy, and the worst thing it could do to you was cause tooth decay.

I was raised on Coke and Pepsi -- pure sugar water. We were literally "the Pepsi generation." Parents today have wised up, and I see kids sucking on juice boxes all day. That's basically the same thing as Pepsi with a few more vitamins.

We were basically designed to drink water and milk. Fruit is fine, but eat it whole since that binds the sugar up in the fruit's "matrix," which makes it less available to digest.

The "german study" isnt real. It seems most fake studies are "german" or "swiss" for some reason. There are a number of 'studies' that show your body wont absorb and store excess fat. Any that actually has MD's involved and real results that can be analyzed show something different.

If you eat too much of anything, of course a large portion of it will simply pass through you. However your system is fully capable of absorbing a buttload of fat from an average meal. Fat is converted to 9 calories per gram. Proteins and carbs are converted at half that rate.

Unfortunately while you can see blood test results from "low carb/high fat" eating right away, you cant see the long term results of a high fat diet on your heart health on a test. The real weight loss from "low carb" diets has already been shown to be boredom. On the traditional low carb regimen, people start to eat less and less total calories. When dug into, this has been because they're bored with their food and arent interested in eating more of it.

I think you need to slip a shim between simple and complex carbs. Along with providing ample energy, a bowlful of oatmeal takes a lot longer to digest than a donut (tieing us back to the original topic) and will make you feel "full" longer. Meaning you're not going to eat again soon, but still have energy to keep you going.

Another bugaboo I'll bring up is alcohol consumption. I take it from reading most of our posts that we're mostly at least light to moderate drinkers. Nothing wrong with that. But your bod will convert the alcohol directly to sugar and loves to convert and store that excess sugar as fat in your liver. So called 'fatty liver' syndrome where the liver becomes twice its size and speckled with fat. Its stored that way so your liver can quickly and easily convert that close-up stored fat into energy if needed. Except by the next evening you're supplying it with more alcohol converted into sugar, so it doesnt have to. In fact, the majority of people with a "beer belly" are seeing an enlarged liver and not a 'belly' at all.

This can also result in the creation of high triglyceride levels in the bloodstream. The good news is while most doctors cast a wan eye on triglyceride levels, there isnt a study on the planet that connects high triglyceride levels with anything unhealthy.

In fact, some people have high trigylceride levels that appear to be genetic. Its in my family, and I can assure you it isnt diet related. Me, my dad and my grandfather all enjoy/ed high triglyceride levels. My grandfather considered sausage to be a vegetable, smoked and didnt drink at all. My dad eats a lot of lean meat and vegetables but few grains, doesnt smoke and drinks a couple of glasses of wine a day. I eat a small amount of lean meat, and lots of vegetables and grains, dont smoke and drink a couple of glasses of wine or a couple of beers a day. Our triglyceride levels are all within about 20 points of each other in the 350 range. My grandfather lived into his late 80's until he died of congestive heart failure. My dad is 70, healthy as a horse, and looks ten years younger than he is.

You did hit on one tenet I'm moving towards: eating whole foods. My objective one day is to eliminate boxes, bottles and bags. Zero processed food.

The "german study" isnt real.  It seems most fake studies are "german" or "swiss" for some reason.  There are a number of 'studies' that show your body wont absorb and store excess fat.  Any that actually has MD's involved and real results that can be analyzed show something different.
TH, you are the master of fake studies, so I'll take you at your word here. I'll be the first to admit that I'm always skeptical of health studies given the potential conflicts of interest and the difficulty of designing long-term robust studies.

Fat is converted to 9 calories per gram.  Proteins and carbs are converted at half that rate.
Calories are measured using a calorimeter. They basically burn stuff and measure how much heat is generated. Frankly, I never understood the assumption that calorimeters were a good model of metabolic "burning."

Unfortunately while you can see blood test results from "low carb/high fat" eating right away, you cant see the long term results of a high fat diet on your heart health on a test.
Yup, that's the big unknown. Apparently, there are non-invasive tests (like cardiac calcium scoring) that will give you a more direct indication of cardiac health. Of course, insurance companies won't pay for them.

In fact, some people have high trigylceride levels that appear to be genetic.  Its in my family, and I can assure you it isnt diet related.
Dude, I'm almost convinced that you're my aborted twin :)

Do me a favor, and try the low-carb experiment for a month. My TriG went from 362 to 125 in a month. I lost 12 pounds, and I ate like a pig. I fully expected the experiment to fail, and I ate in a way which I thought would allow me to tell my doc "Hah! You fool!" I was wrong.

Oh I love this low-carb craze. It's always something, isn't it!

At first, food processors were unhappy about it. Until in true capitalistic fashion, they had a brilliant idea... Hey, let's put "Low Carb" or "No Carb" on it, reduce the carbs, reduce the net weight of the product, and sell it for the same price, or more! We like Low Carb$!

I doubt ancient man in most races was a heavy meat-eater. After all, the prospective "dinner" had the Darwinian urge to run and escape, or turn and fight. Now there's a diet that WILL reduce weight... the Bear Diet! Only primitive tools allowed!
In the forest, one diner says to another "ya know, you shouldn't be eating all that meat, it's not healthy for ya. You should be eating more berries". And the other bear says "stop naggin' me, will ya?"

But some did evolve to be almost/exclusively meat eaters. Like the Eskimos (their yummy ice cream products were for export, only). Mmmmmm, how about another chunk of whale blubber... you filled up yet? :D

But some did evolve to be almost/exclusively meat eaters.  Like the Eskimo....
Yeah, those crazy Eskimos. They eat nothing but fat and cholesterol all day. But somehow they have no signs of coronary heart disease.

FWIW, I generally don't follow crazes (OK, I think I did buy one beanie baby and a tamagotchi, but that's it -- I swear!) I like the idea of controlled experimentation and measurable results, though.

Aborted twin?

Hmm.

Of course the eskimo's dont have heart disease...anyone who lacked the genetics to take that sort of diet simply died off, leaving those who could to procreate.

Darwin!

Back
Top Bottom