Join Early Retirement Today

Krispy Kreme and the mystery of corp. shortfalls
Old 08-27-2004, 12:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Krispy Kreme and the mystery of corp. shortfalls

Dont you love "wrong" answers to why companies dont make their numbers or do as well as they thought?

From SARS to low carb diets, I cant help but shake my head at some of the excuses.

Krispy Kreme swears it's low carb diets that have torpedoed their sales.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that they're asking $8 a dozen for their donuts while perfectly good fresh baked supermarket donuts sell for around $3 a dozen.

Guess which ones I buy.

Hey Krispy Kreme! I have a clue for you! Start charging less per pound for your donuts than for rib eye steaks and see if you dont get a few more customers lining up to buy your stuff!!!

What I *reallY* want to know is if they believe their own bullshit or they're still aware that they're making excuses...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Krispy Kreme and the mystery of corp. shortfal
Old 08-27-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good question!

I find it interesting how companies continue to say they will grown at 10-15% anually (often times more), when its not even possible within the confines of 3-4% economic growth. What a load of bunk. Doesn't matter, though, because its perpetuated by the analysts and and Wall Street talking heads, and swallowed hook, line, and sinker by many naive investors. **shaking head**

It's all about the spin, baby. Give us a good story. Doesn't have to be rational...
Old 08-27-2004, 08:05 PM   #3

I have certainly not been following Krispy Kreme's stock, but one thing I'll say is that they have arrived in New England by storm, with much hoopla, but after about a year, their tired donuts sit in the cases at the supermarkets looking not very special.

I had a warm one straight from the barkery when I was in Tennessee last year, and I thought I knew what all the fuss was about. But I won't eat donuts on anything like a regular basis (does one every 2 years count as "regular?"), so I'm not a convert. Besides, I'd have to drive for 45 minutes to get to the nearest bakery. I also suspect that the Dunkin Donuts habit is pretty strong around here and hard to break into. Perhaps they have overextended themselves by reaching into too many new markets.

Anne

trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I too enjoy the occasional donut but I had no idea that KK was charging $8/dz!

This is a 50+ year old company we're talking about here. *I have been following the excitement that KK has generated on Wall Street over the past few years but I thought that they had come up with some new product or process. *

When I later found out that what they were selling is the same donut that I paid 5 cents for when I was in the second grade in the 50's I was shocked!! Shocked I tell you!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #5

I predict that their stock will get Kremed. Too many holes in their planning.

John Galt
Old 08-28-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Basically...marketing is a lost art.

You should hear some of the dumbass reasons I hear in my organization...sickening...

Anything "new" today is innovation....lmao

Tommy_Dolitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I too enjoy the occasional donut but I had no idea that KK was charging $8/dz!
Dunnnkin Donuts...its worth the trip! I do miss DD coffee and jelly donuts at 2am in my younger days...

No dunkin donuts around here, and the nearest krispy kreme store is a good 30 minutes away, but they've been delivering them to all the local supermarkets...and yes, they're $7.99 a dozen!

Is it me or are donuts smaller now than they used to be? Did dough somehow become ridiculously expensive

Yep John...I look at that stock situation and feel my eyes glazing over.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

They're $6 a dozen in PA.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Is it me or are donuts smaller now than they used to be? Did dough somehow become ridiculously expensive
They are really small at the Minnesota State fair. They are called Mini Donuts and are the hit at the fair. They are as big as 50 cent pieces.

I limit my donut eating to about 2-3 times a year. I like em, but I'd end up carrying a bunch of extra weight on the trout steam.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #10

I once read (and I have no idea if this is true, but it makes a hell of an impact!) that one doughnut has an equivalent amount of fat as a bacon-and-egg breakfast.

And although eating bacon every morning with your eggs is scarcely health food, that can't be good news for the doughnuts.

Anne
Old 08-28-2004, 01:30 PM   #11

You should avoid transfats like the plague. Commercial bakers, and that includes Krispy Kreme, Dunkin Donuts, and Tim Horton's here in Canada have been polluting the food supply with these poisons for decades. Anything containing hydrogenated vegetable oils should be a no no if you want a long retirement. :-/
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I once read (and I have no idea if this is true, but it makes a hell of an impact!) that one doughnut has an equivalent amount of fat as a bacon-and-egg breakfast.

And although eating bacon every morning with your eggs is scarcely health food, that can't be good news for the doughnuts.

Anne
One KK glazed doughnut has:
200 cal
12g fat

by contrast, a bacon-egg-and-cheese biscuit from McDs has:
430 cal
26g of fat

If you take away the biscuit, then you have 200 cal and 16g of fat... not too fat away!

Of course, I think the bacon-egg-cheese biscuit is a lot more filling than a doughnut.

At work sometimes people bring them in. I've stopped earing them.
Whakamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #13

My cholesterol clocked in at 301 last time checked.
I wouldn't touch a donut or a bacon/egg sandwich
with a 10 foot pole. I have also started reading
the labels on everything. It's like the guy said
who was scheduled to be executed the next morning:
"It focuses your attention wonderfully!"

John Galt
Old 08-28-2004, 06:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

John
Does your wife really, really love you? The New Orleans prescription is garlic, garlic and more garlic.

My SO says it's damm lucky she likes it too. Don't have high chloresterol - but garlic AND onion (For digestion) are popular down here.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:15 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
My cholesterol clocked in at 301 last time checked.
I wouldn't touch a donut or a bacon/egg sandwich
with a 10 foot pole.
OK, this is going to sound "contrarian" and you're going to ignore me, but what the heck....

Your body makes cholesterol. *Eating cholesterol doesn't have a huge impact on your serum cholesterol. * Your body makes fat. * Eating fat doesn't have a huge impact on you.

What you want to avoid is sugar.

If you want to be bold, try this experiment:

1) get a blood test and measure your LDL, HDL, and triglycerides.

2) stop eating sweets, juices, bread, pasta, and rice for 3-4 weeks. * eat all of the protein and fat you want.

3) measure your LDL, HDL, and triglycerides again and report back to us.

If your HDL is low, that's as bad as high LDL. * Ask your doc about taking niacin (vitamin B3 -- over the counter).

If you try my program, I'll explain why it works *
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #16

Well, for the record, when I said bacon and egg breakfast, I never meant to imply bacon and egg sandwich from McDonald's. *Never have had one, never intend to. *Slow suicide. Remember bacon and eggs on a plate?

Don't get me started on diet and health because I could put everyone here to sleep with long diatribes about transfats, the virtues of eating eggs (including the latest research), the perils of sugar and, while we're at it, any refined carbohydrates, such as white flour, white bread, and pasta. *Good fats and bad fats. Don't get me started.

But then I'm a nut about this stuff, always have been, and now I'm worse since my father, mother, and 47-year-old sister have all departed this world by way of cancer.

Check out www.ultraprevention.com .

And I promise, no diatribes.

Anne
Old 08-28-2004, 08:16 PM   #17

John, that cholesterol problem is no joke. Start with a big bowl of oatmeal each morning with freshly ground flaxseed and cinnamon. Avoid all transfats and high fructose corn sugar. Go for a 3 mile walk everyday, and of course..........I hope.......... you are a non-smoker. If not, then all bets are off!
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
The realisation that one is to be hanged...
Old 08-28-2004, 08:48 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

The realisation that one is to be hanged...

... in the morning concentrates the mind wonderfully.

Samuel Johnson

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...l_johnson.html

Widely quoted but impossible to read.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:48 AM   #19

I am going to be bold and try wabmeister's advice.
I will report the results. My blood test was recent
so the numbers are good and will provide a good comparison with results from Wab's program.

BTW, my parents are 87 and 85, eat anything they want
and seem in really good shape. Maybe my genes will
bail me out

John Galt
Old 08-29-2004, 06:33 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, John Galt, feel free to clue your doc into what you're doing. Taking advice from internet boards could be bad for your health

But you're right about genetics playing a role. There are several types of dyslipidemia, and you may be able to self-diagnose assuming your doc hasn't already done so. Many have genetic components, including the most prevalent forms:

http://www.md-phc.com/education/cholest.html

I've found that picking the right doc can make a huge difference. The older MDs simply weren't taught this stuff in med school, and many of them were taught stuff that is now considered wrong.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote