Join Early Retirement Today

Kudos to Jack Johnson
Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Administrator

Kudos to Jack Johnson

I just read this article about one of my favorite musicians.
Jack Johnson remains authentic amid a sea of hype - USATODAY.com

Quote:
Family-friendly may not be a desirable brand in rock circles, but Johnson wholly embraces it. "I learned to play guitar in family gatherings," he says. "My dad's friends came over. We had family singalongs. When I started out, it felt natural to write songs that anybody could listen to. I never felt the need to get more edgy. Now that I have my own kids, I appreciate even more that I went this way."
Quote:
The Johnson clan lives in a modest Oahu hillside home with an ocean view and no cable ("I watch TV if I'm on an airplane and The Office comes on"). One area of extravagance: greening. Biodiesel fuel powers tour buses and generators. Recycling is mandatory at home,
Quote:
His family will tag along for a world tour, and Johnson hopes to please crowds by night and blend into them by day. After a European swing, a 35-date North American leg starts July 9 in Hartford, Conn. His 2008 tour grosses exceeded $22 million, according to Billboard Boxscore, and all his profits went to establish the Johnson Ohana Charitable Foundation to support environmental, art and music education. He again is donating 100% of his tour profits to the endowment.
It's really nice to see someone who has every opportunity to over indulge stay true to his roots and practice a little LBYM. There is definitely something to be said for being authentic.

I dig Jack Johnson...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

One of the local good guys. If he's not making music then he's probably too busy surfing to bother with TV.

To be fair I should point out that green living isn't so difficult around here, and the state subsidizes both the biodiesel and the recycling.

But he's still one of the good guys. Too many musicians around here feel compelled to leave the state to make it big, and he's managed to do this literally in his own back yard.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Administrator

I am sure his "modest Oahu hillside home" is relative to what he could afford and probably pretty nice. Regardless, donating 100% of your tour profits is a pretty selfless act.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I just read this article about one of my favorite musicians.....

It's really nice to see someone who has every opportunity to over indulge stay true to his roots and practice a little LBYM. There is definitely something to be said for being authentic.

I dig Jack Johnson...
Nice to hear that. We get blasted with so much 'news' about the bad boys & girls.

My DD was listening to one of his CDs in the car a few years back, and I was like "Hey, this is good stuff, who IS this?". Just kinda surprised that kids would like that style, very good indeed.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote