Join Early Retirement Today

L.A Woman found positive with Bubonic Plague
Old 04-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

L.A Woman found positive with Bubonic Plague

First reported case in 20 years.

Fences and Walls along borders won't stop an infected person from enetering the U.S., and what if the Nutbars choose a new kind of Suicide Bomber, one infected with a deadly virus who just arrives as a tourist

My Son, prior to entering China was required to have total physical, including AIDS testing, and to update and take extra Injections for certain diseases.

We in NA are just too lax, SARS taught us nothing.(other than the fact that the US had no SARS cases but did have an increase in the Flu?).
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: L.A Woman found positive with Bubonic Plague
Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion

My Son, prior to entering China was required to have total physical, including AIDS testing, and to update and take extra Injections for certain diseases.
I travel to China for business from time to time.* No physical exam or other health testing is required to obtain a visa and be admitted.* I assume the requirements your son faced were because he is staying long term.* I'm typically only there a couple of weeks.
Quote:
We in NA are just too lax
I agree with that 100%
Old 04-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

First reported case in LA county in 20 years. There are several cases per year across the whole US. Unless it converts to widespread pneumonic plague, bubonic plague is not really a public health issue of greater import than (say) rabies is in NA. Bubonic plague spreads by flea bites, and there are somewhat fewer fleas around in close contact with people here than in Europe in the good old days.

It would be hard to have any surety of spreading a disease widely starting with just a few source cases. Most likely they would just die, take a few people with them if they are "lucky", and that would be the end of it. You'd have to have a test run to fine tune the process, and then that would kind of give things away.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #4

This is not a big deal, imo, ...

first sign of smallpox reappearing or the avian flue making the leap from person->person...that will be a bigger deal if it comes to pass.

farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:55 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is not a big deal really. A few squirrels and other rodents are found in the local mountains each year with the plague. This cannot seemed to be stamped out but I am not worried because there is awareness of the issue and medical plans to contain it. I am more worried about what we are not aware of and have no plans to cope with than this one.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Weird... was someone watching the episode of House last night?* That was about bubonic plague*
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Fences and Walls along borders won't stop an infected person from enetering the U.S., and what if the Nutbars choose a new kind of Suicide Bomber, one infected with a deadly virus who just arrives as a tourist
Max, you didn't give us the benefit of a link, but are you making the assumption that this woman is an illegal immigrant? Because your assumption doesn't appear to be supported by any of the articles I've seen so far.

Or "there you go again"... maybe you're just using this as a launching pad for another one of your anti-immigrant rants.

Unless you're trying to keep out rats & fleas.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I say we send her to Canada for some of that "free" healthcare... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:15 AM   #9

No Nords, you made the leap, my point is/was, that with today's Global Traffic and No Health Screening, noise about stopping a few Mexicans who want jobs is not the real threat to the US.

In case you haven't noticed,there are several Americans applying for refugee status in Canada, not vice versa.

youbet, you are correct, no Health Screening is required for Visitors' Visa to China, Yet.

The Olympics will be spectacular, not sure how they will handle that many Foreigners at the same time.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
noise about stopping a few Mexicans who want jobs* is not the real threat to the US.
Well, I'm glad we can agree on that.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

"...Previous studies of newcomers in the United States showed strong differences by source country. This is also apparent for Canada, even after taking other important variables into consideration. Newcomers from the United States and those from Hong Kong had the highest likelihood of leaving Canada, with about half of them leaving within 10 years after arrival, as indicated by their tax filing behaviour. Newcomers from Europe or the Caribbean, in contrast, were about half as likely to leave.

Canada is not exactly the final destination for some percentage of US emmigrants.

Source: "The Daily" March 1, 2006
http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/060301/d060301b.htm

As for the plague....Robert the Red is right on the mark. The bacteria has been indemic in ground squirels in the desert South West and Mexico for decades. The lack of people and the dry climate keeps it away from most people. Add to that modern medicine, better hygene and better diets and the bug is slowed down quite a lot. Not comment intended other than educational.