Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: swimsuit collection -- how many do you own?
0 10 15.38%
1-3 38 58.46%
4-6 15 23.08%
7 or more 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Ladies, how many swimsuits do you own?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ladies, how many swimsuits do you own?

Last weekend I bought a new swimsuit on an impulse. Then when I got home and looked through my wardrobe, I realized that I already have 5 swimsuits at home. Feeling a little guilty but I really like the new suit!

I go swimming about once a week, so I don't really need a swim suit for each day. Just curious if my swimsuit collection is totally out of line...
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
I go swimming about once a week, so I don't really need a swim suit for each day. Just curious if my swimsuit collection is totally out of line...
I don't know. Post some pictures of yourself modeling them and I'll try to help you decide.

Ha
Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 PM   #3

Haha, you're too kind. Do I get to keep more if I look good in them?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Haha, you're too kind. Do I get to keep more if I look good in them?
Sure. In fact the boys around here likely would pitch in to buy you another one in your favorite color.

Ha
Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 AM   #5

My wife and kids just use old pairs of jeans with the legs cut off and
T shirts for tops.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Don't feel bad: I have four and I rarely swim. The suits have accumulated over the years.

I get into cycles of trying to establish a swimming routine and then I quit.

The sadder part is that after all these years, I can barely swim

I've started to use swimming tank tops for yoga. I bought 2 of those last year, in addition to the four I already had.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you swim once a week and didn't know you owned 5 suits, that tends to suggest you wear the same one all the time and leave the other 4 in the closet. I'd start wearing a different one each time for variety, or toss 1 or 2 if the reason you're not wearing them is you don't like them anymore.

Also if some have been sitting in the closet a while, I'd check that they're all still OK - elastic and such tends to deteriorate over time. Maybe you really only have 2 or 3 usable suits sitting in your closet.

I own 4 suits - wear 2 regularly and have 2 new ones stored up - and swim 2-4 times a week.
bambambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I go into the pool about 3 times a week now, used to do 4-5 but am too busy now (excuses, excuses). I have one in my size now and two waiting until I lose the weight. Guess that shows hope?
Awhile ago, I put up a post saying that my friend, a lifeguard, told me to buy 100% polyester suits if I want them to last. Mine is over a year old now and still working fine--this after suits lasting maybe 2-3 months before that were nylon and other materials--so it is 100% polyester for me from now on for lastability. I got a couple of posts back saying that they don't like to be "limited" in their selections, which I thought were just asinine, and have hesitated to post any suggestions again like this. And I thought I was helping...go figure?

By the way, I get my suits from swimsuitoutlet.com at a discount, too.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I usually have four or five around . I live in Florida so our swimming season is long . I try to buy them on sale . My really for swimming only suits are from Lands End . My lounging around suits tend to be Macy's on sale but I am going to look at swimming outlet .com. .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

When I was a teenaged surfer chick living in a beachfront house in Hawaii, I spent 4-5 hours in the surf every day and longer on weekends. I would have two relatively new bikinis and alternate between them. After coming in, I would immediately rinse my suit in fresh water and hang it to dry.

I usually kept one old bikini from the previous year to use in case the straps on my dry bikini broke or some such thing. I used to like to alternate tops and bottoms sometimes for a different look. My favorite bikini was a white and yellow Hawaiian print, because it really showed off my tan.

I only have one bathing suit right now, a stretchy bluegreen one piece more suitable for someone like me who is pushing 60! I don't swim as much here since we have no beach nearby.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
When I was a teenaged surfer chick living in a beachfront house in Hawaii, I spent 4-5 hours in the surf every day and longer on weekends. I would have two relatively new bikinis and alternate between them. After coming in, I would immediately rinse my suit in fresh water and hang it to dry.

I usually kept one old bikini from the previous year to use in case the straps on my dry bikini broke or some such thing. I used to like to alternate tops and bottoms sometimes for a different look. My favorite bikini was a white and yellow Hawaiian print, because it really showed off my tan.

I only have one bathing suit right now, a stretchy bluegreen one piece more suitable for someone like me who is pushing 60! I don't swim as much here since we have no beach nearby.
I bet you still look just fine pushing 60! You go girl!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #12

Couple suits with ties (perfect for hot tubbing) that look lumpy under the wetsuit for rafting/kayaking...so, had to get tie-free 2 pcs for that...then the functional one piece for "swimming". Don't feel these are in excess. Appropriate for the functions! Hmm - maybe I do own more than 6!

Also, try to keep an extra 2 pc at BF's for the guest that forgets her suit...(hot tub) Guys can get away with shorts/boxers, but we look lame wearing underwear in there!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #13

the gay guy responds: i've got about 4 of the same pair in different colors which i buy at the same time on sale or at discount sports store. if you swim a lot, especially indoors or even outdoor public pools, that chlorine eats through them pretty fast. i've got another two pair with pockets for bike rides/walks along the beach.

[threadjack]

i'm amazed by how many people i've met who don't know how to swim. it is especially surprising in florida. we have so many pools and canals here, never mind an ocean; so it is always disconcerting when parents do not teach their kids from very young ages to swim. we have lots of free programs for just that yet every year there are too many reports of little kids drowning. such a waste.

here are some stats from Key West Accidental Drowning Lawyers - Statistics (no affiliation nor can i attest as to accuracy; just posting to bolster the point).

Quote:
Florida had the highest unintentional drowning death rate of toddlers ages 1 – 4 in the United States (3 times the National rate) in the 5 years between 1999 - 2003.

Sixty – four percent of unintentional drowning deaths of Florida toddlers ages 0 – 4 and 60% of Florida children ages 5 – 9 between 2002 and 2004 occurred in swimming pools, but only 25% of Florida children ages 10 – 14.

Every year, about 300 toddlers drown in residential swimming pools; overall, more than 800 children ages 14 and under die from drowning, and more than 4,000 go to the emergency room after near-drowning incidents.
[/threadjack]

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #14

Thanks for the responses. I feel better about it now. I usually buy my swimsuits from Target or Macy's (when on sale), but will look at the resources recommended here.

I agree swimming should be one of the mandatory classes in school, just as personal finance should. These are basically survival skills. With the way oil is going, we may have to learn subsistence farming, gathering and hunting.

Now here are some photos, as requested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marilynbeach.jpg (33.2 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg marilyn-monroe-5.jpg (47.2 KB, 216 views)
Old 03-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now here are some photos, as requested.
Yahoo! Where should I send your new suits?

Ha
Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #16

As I sit here and it is 50 degrees out and raining, I'm trying to remember. I have one one-piece that I can think of, and probably 4 two-pieces. I love to swim, but don't get to do it that often. Never in the winter. I wear the two-pieces, usually with board shorts, when I play beach volleyball in the park every weekend in the summer. I haven't bought one in a few years because they don't get wet very often, so they last a while!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I voted none. This girl from the South just goes skinny dippin'. ....
Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I answered 4 -6. I lived on a lake for a few years and enjoyed the water alot. I now live in an over -55 and I do water aerobics and water volleyball about four days a week.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I voted none. This girl from the South just goes skinny dippin'. ....

Oh Oh Oh ....
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #20

If you search, there are many discount swim places. Like I said, I get mine from swimoutlet.com (suggested by my friend, a lifeguard for years...even her kids are lifeguards!). Got stuff quickly and never a problem. Popular site with swim team and lifeguard types.
Trust me, if you want that suit to LAST, get 100% polyester or the ones marked chlorine proof (similar). It is worth the effort to do that, and, yes, most are plainer as they are made for people who swim regularly...but I just got tired of changing suits out every couple of months. Got pretty expensive. For $45 now, I get the 100% polyester and it is still going after a year!!!!