Lake arrowhead (CA) as a reirement spot

Spanky

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lake Arrowhead seems to a good place for retirement because of the following:
Climate: 4 seasons (mild winter and summer is 10 degree cooler than Los Angles)
Housing cost: reasonable (near national average)
Promximity to metropolitan area (e.g., 100 miles east of LA).
Views: pretty view of the mountains and houses are far apart from each other).

I am also researching places in Utah and New Mexico. My criteria are simple: reasonable housing cost, mild climate, scenery (e.g. mountains and lakes), proximity to metropolitan area for hospital access, theaters, book stores, shopping centers, etc.

Any opinion?

Spanky

Let me know what you find in Utah and New Mexico.
I was looking at Cedar City, Utah.
If you are looking at Utah, look a little west to Nevada - no income taxes.

Western Utah or eastern Nevada appeal to me for the same reasons you list.

You will have to check a lot more details to keep curent on Arrowhead. They had extensive fires a year ago that burned 3/4 of the trees (and a lot of the houses) in the area. The lake was drying out until the recent record rains. The houses are expensive compared to local communities. But is was a nice place to visit over the years.
I would look for Crestline/Lake Gregory or Big Bear. Big Bear is more of a self sustaining town.
Just my opinion but Arrowhead is too upscale a place for a LBYM/ER type place.
Then on the back (north) side of the mountains are what I imagine to be some John Gault type places like Pearlblossom and Hesperia.

Let's not forget that pesky San Andreas fault nearby. Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire!

Well, that includes almost all California, some places in Oregon and even Washington.

That's a hugh area to avoid in an anticipation of a possible natural disaster that may never occur in my life time.

Back
Top Bottom