Join Early Retirement Today

laminate floors
Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

laminate floors

Has anyone installed the foam backed laminate floors? I'm thinking of doing the bathrooms in a tile patern and if it is not too bad doing the kitchen, dining room and sun room next. Any comments? Hard to do? does it wear well? Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: laminate floors
Old 09-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have not installed 'foamed back" laminate. It's purpose is to make walking on it quieter. I heard it works. I have however, installed regular wood=type laminate. I have rentals and it is the cheapest way to cover old looking floors whatever they may be (ugly tile) as long as it is fairly level.

It looks good, does not scratch like wood and is very easy to clean and maintain. What it does do on the negative side is chip sometimes. You will notice in Home Depot they have these stain like pens by the laminate flooring. That is to fill in any chips if you get a chip.

The other positive of it I suppose is if you want to change it someday, it is easy to take up. (unlike tile)
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There were some extensive flooring disussions here in the past year or so. Try a search for Pergo or laminate.

My mother just bought some on sale, but we haven't installed it yet. My cousin just laid a few hundred square feet and is very happy so far, but it is still very new. He even put it in a small 3/4 bathroom since he had enough left over and was so good at laying it in that he figures he can easily replace it if it gets too wet.

My big concern is that the warranties don't cover standing water which is generally defined as water sitting over 30 minutes. I don't know what happens, but it is a concern. One brand boasted treated wood that was moisture resistant. Other than standing water they are apparently indestructible...or at least people talk that way.

EDIT: The foam backing I've seen claims it's multi-purpose. It prevents moisture from seeping through the concrete to the fooring, and I guess the other purposes are softness or quiet and something else which I forget.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've had laminate in our place for 3 or 4 years. It was easy to install and wears very well. I've heard the new stuff has been made even easier to install regarding how it locks into place.

I would recommmend it. Be aware of what color you choose. We chose a lighter color to match the cupboards, and it shows dirt and other funk very easily.