Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras
I find calling someone who screens their calls very very annoying, but since I don't ever call you I don't see that should stop you
How so? For me, it seems that it benefits both the caller and myself. It's best to talk to someone when you can give them your undivided attention, not when you are in the middle of painting or whatever, and trying to talk and deal with wet paint at the same time.
It isn't the answering machine that puts me off. It is the screening aspect. I agree completely that it is in both parties benifit that the conversation happen when both parties can give their undivided attention. That is what voicemail is for (or answering machines).
As for why I get irked if someone answers after the machine starts in, I am afraid I can't really tell you.
I should, I suppose, feel special as you have deemed me as worthy of speaking to you
But for some reason, people allowing the machine to screen their calls and then picking up after the machine starts, just irks me. Not so much the first time, but if it happens regularly...
As for the complicated messages for your wife, I have NEVER run into that. But I suppose that is because she has her own phone number and is responsible for her own calls/voicemail. I supose if it did happen I could give the person my wife's number and have them call her directly?

I agree, no one can tell another person what is best for them. I think most people just find the convenience of voice mail is so much better for their own needs that they are surprised you prefer the answering machine. If the answering machine works better for you, more power to you I could never get used to accessing the messages from away from the house and hated the need to listen to all the messages to hear the last one. Of course, I am a pack rat and always wanted to keep most of the messages that came in.

CuppaJoe, I BELIEVE that it is illegal for telemarketers to call cell phones. I am not sure though. All I know is that I use my cell phone for everything, and all businesses that I deal with, and I have never received a cold call or call unrelated to work that was currently being done. I do get a lot of emails, but no cell calls (knock on wood).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:44 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
But for some reason, people allowing the machine to screen their calls and then picking up after the machine starts, just irks me. Not so much the first time, but if it happens regularly...
I don't get irked because I simply won't call people who do that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #23

Well, I am not the only one in the world that feels that way then, thanks
But ERD asks a great question, "why?"
I mean, if the screener picks up, it means they feel I am important enough to talk to. I hold a more 'special' position.
Is the reason it is 'irksome' that you never know if the person is listening to your call and has deemed you NOT worthy of their time if no one picks up?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

I will still help her but she will now be on our Verizon plan. I boosted the plan to 1400 minutes (we had been at 500 minutes) and added a line for her using an existing phone (deceased MIL'
s). T
he additional cost per month is about $65 but that nets out to $35 since we will no longer be paying Vona
ge $30
per month. The additional $35 per month is much less than I have been adding to her T-Mobile account. I can drop her like a hot rock (no contract because we used existing phone) if she uses excessive minutes or busts her 250 text message allotment. Sisterly generosity only goes so far!

After the mortgage and property taxes, the cell phone bill is the next highest bill we have. Yikes!

I added my Mom to our Verizon friends and family plan and it was only $10 extra a month . She lives in the same state as me but a few hours away .Maybe you could add your sister this way . It would be a lot cheaper .
Old 07-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I am not the only one in the world that feels that way then, thanks
But ERD asks a great question, "why?"
I mean, if the screener picks up, it means they feel I am important enough to talk to. I hold a more 'special' position.
Is the reason it is 'irksome' that you never know if the person is listening to your call and has deemed you NOT worthy of their time if no one picks up?
And the other side of that is, I am totally irked by people who call, then just hang up rather than leave a message. I always tell people (i almost put this on my machine) that if it was important enough to call, it was important enough to leave a message. Even if the message is "nothing important, just wanted to chat", then I know I can call back at my leisure. With no message (and the caller ID and time left on the phone), I'm always left wondering... hmmm, maybe it was kind of important, or they have free tickets to somewhere, but need an answer right away so assume I'm out, and will call the next guy....

Actually, I mostly end up picking up in the middle because I was busy with a home project, and it took a full 4 rings for me to get up, put the paint brush down, wash my hands.... so how in the heck would a person ahead of time know whether I was "screening" to see if I wanted to talk to them, or it just took me a few rings to get to the phone? Why pre-judge my motive, why does that make me un-call-worthy?

Occasionally someone has commented - "Oh, screening your calls, eh?" - I'm honest, I say "yes, 90% of the calls are for my wife and I let those go to the machine". I can't understand why that would bother anyone either - I am in fact saying "your call is important, I'm picking it up". How is that bad in any way? The other calls are not "less important", they are just best handled by the machine.

-ERD50
Old 07-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #26

Quote:
And the other side of that is, I am totally irked by people who call, then just hang up rather than leave a message.
That irks me too. I wonder if you get more of those because people have figured out you screen their calls

Quote:
Why pre-judge my motive, why does that make me un-call-worthy?
YOU aren't un-call worthy, what I am saying is that others that are calling you could get the impression that YOU think THEY are un-call-worthy.
Again, as I mentioned, I am not really sure why I get irked by call screeners although it may be that last suggestion. And as I said, it is more irksome after it has happened a few times, so I am not pre-judging, it is because of past behavior.

Quote:
Occasionally someone has commented - "Oh, screening your calls, eh?" - I'm honest, I say "yes, 90% of the calls are for my wife and I let those go to the machine". I can't understand why that would bother anyone either - I am in fact saying "your call is important, I'm picking it up". How is that bad in any way? The other calls are not "less important", they are just best handled by the machine.

-ERD50
Again, not really sure why it irks me. I am guessing and am hoping others might chime in with their ideas.
I suspect it is because when I call and the machine answers and you DON'T pick up, it is then that I have to wonder 'oh, is ERD really there and just doesn't deem me worthy of talking to?'.
The fact that you DO pick up (if this happens repeatedly) is just a reminder of the times you don't?
I really am not sure of the psychology behind this, and I am curious how many people are irked by this? However, since so few people have old fashioned answering machines, I doubt many people run into this any more.
Do the people you know that comment 'Oh, screening your calls' sound put off?
Old 07-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #27

Oh and ERD, please don't get me wrong. I think it is more an issue of the callers than of you IF they get irked by that behavior.
I don't know why that is irksome to me, and Want2Retire and I may be the only 2 people in the world that this irks.
I am more curious about WHY I find in irksome than in why you screen calls.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #28

Back in 2000, I was the first person I knew to get rid of a land-line in favor of a cell phone. Haven't missed the land line for a second in the last 9 years.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #29

Moemg - I had to get to a level of minutes that would support three users who only have cell phones available which meant I needed the Friends and Family option. This forced me to the 1400 minute level from the 500 minute level (old plan no longer available because it was too inexpensive). Basically, we started with a very inexpensive plan and had to move to a plan that was meant for people who use their cell phones as a primary method of communication. Sis and I also have 250 texts per month ($5 each).
Old 07-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh and ERD, please don't get me wrong. I think it is more an issue of the callers than of you IF they get irked by that behavior.
I don't know why that is irksome to me, and Want2Retire and I may be the only 2 people in the world that this irks.
OK, I'm remembering now that I have a friend I used to call once in awhile who screened calls, and I would get irked. My guess it was because I didn't call them enough to expect the screening, so I wasn't prepared for it, and the sequence was:
  1. I called, preparing to converse;
  2. got the machine, so I had to start thinking of what message I would leave without babbling;
  3. then they answered, so I had to switch back into converse mode
It's somewhat disconcerting, maybe because I'm not a relaxed phone caller.

The other part might be that I feel slightly inconvenienced at having to wait through the rings and the greeting mesage, like they feel their time is more important than mine, or something like that. Or maybe it's because I've yielded control to them, though I don't feel like I'm a control nut.

I understand screening, I realize I should feel good that my voice was pick-up worthy, and my reasons for getting irked aren't that good, but somehow I still do get a bit irked.

I don't think I know any screeners now, because of caller ID.

Make any sense?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Since I don't have a landline I never get those annoying phone solicitations anymore (another benefit), but when I did I had my script mentally prepared. I wish I could take credit but I learned this from someone else, and used it many times:

Caller: Hello, can I speak with Mr. Doe (actually me)?
Me: Are you a friend of Mr. Doe's? [Just to make sure you're not talking to someone you don't want to do this to]
Caller: No, I'm from AARP-TruGreen-FOP-Acme Insurance and I have a great offer for Mr. Doe.
Me: I'm sorry, you've called at a really bad time, Mr. Doe died last night. The widow just stopped crying a few minutes ago, would you like to talk to her?
Caller: No thanks, sorry I bothered you (or something like that). Good bye.

Worked every time and might even get you off their list. Even if they don't believe you, it's not like they're going to risk trying to call you on it. Try it, you'll enjoy it. The hard part is not to break out laughing during the call. Some of you jokers here would be good at this (I mean that in a good way).

And did I feel bad lying to a phone solicitor? Silly question...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Since I don't have a landline I never get those annoying phone solicitations anymore (another benefit), but when I did I had my script mentally prepared (I learned this from someone else, and used it many times):

Me: Are you a friend of Mr. Doe's? [Just to make sure you're not talking to someone you don't want to do this to]
Caller: No, I'm from AARP and I have a great offer for Mr. Doe.
Me: I'm sorry, you've called at a really bad time, Mr. Doe died last night. The widow just stopped crying a few minutes ago, would you like to talk to her?

Worked every time. Even if they don't believe you, not like they're going to try to call you on it. Try it, you'll enjoy it. The hard part is not to break out laughing during the call.

And did I feel bad lying to a phone solicitor? Silly question...
Good one!

Here's mine (much less funny):

Caller: Hello, can I speak with Ms. Want2retire?
Me: May I ask who is calling, please?
Caller: This is the Bank of W2R and we have a great mortgage refinance offer for Ms. Want2retire.
Me: Not interested, thank you, goodbye (click!)

Kind of rude, but I think it is a very appropriate response to unsolicited phone spam directed at someone on the Do Not Call list.

I frequently get phone offers for re-fi's and HELOC's as well as credit cards. Phone spammers seem to think I need to be rescued from my present mortgage-free, completely debt-free situation.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #33

Once had a device called Easy Hang Up.
Amazon.com: Phonex Broadband PX 1020 Easy Hang-Up: Electronics

It is wired in series between the phone and the wall jack. When you press the little button it announces this message to your caller: ""I'm sorry, this number does not accept this type of call. Please regard this message as your notification to remove this number from your list." You can hang up the phone immediately after pressing the button -- it keeps the line off hook until the entire message has been delivered then promptly goes on hook (hangs up).

As I recall I only really used it once. Some guy selling investments simply refused to cooperatively end a call. He had called several times before.
I am the kind of person who avoids hanging up on anybody, even if they are annoying me. I told him politely and in a businesslike manner that I had decided not to do business with him and we don't have anything else to talk about. He launched back into sales mode. When I was able to get a word in, I asked him to wait on the line while I "looked up some information" then I . . . went out and checked the mail, got a drink of water, surfed a couple of web sites. I came back on the line:
Me: Still there?
Caller: Yes.
Me: Thanks so much for waiting. I have some really important information to give you.

Then I hit the button and hung up the phone. He never called back. To my recollection that is the only time I ever used the device other than to see how it worked.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We're keeping our landline.

It's very cheap at about $16/mo.

As ERD50 states, it's great for screening calls.

I get my internet connection (DSL) for $10/mo via the landline and the cheapest cable internet connection here is considerably more.

I like having a number that is easy to screen calls on to give out to folks who I really don't want calling me at inopportune times on my cell phone. Example..... I'm out kayaking and have my cell phone on because I'm expecting an important call from my son. The cell phone rings and I answer since it may be DS announcing that they're on the way to the hospital. But no...... it's my dentist office reminding me I have an appointment tomorrow. Blaaaah! So, now my dentist gets the landline number and I get that message off the answering machine when I get home.

Landline = cheap telephone number to give to folks you don't want calling your cell and would rather just have leave a message on the machine you'll listen to when it's convenient. DW and I each have a cell phone on Verizon which is our main phone. We share the landline number to give out to anyone we'd prefer not call our cell phone.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I understand, my curiosity is kind of increasing as we discuss it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
[*]then they answered, so I had to switch back into converse mode

Make any sense?
yes, the switching modes is a bit disorienting - but of course if I got to the phone and didn't pick up - that would seem worse. What do I do, let the person talk to the machine, then try to call them back right away? And they may have gone on to make the next call, and I get a busy (or interrupt them with a call waiting tone, another interruption ).

So picking up mid-ans-machine seems like the most polite thing to me, and yes with caller ID, if I know it is someone likely to want to talk to me and not ask to leave a message for someone else, and I get to the phone fast enough to see it, I just pick it up.

Do the people you know that comment 'Oh, screening your calls' sound put off?

It's been along time since anyone actually said it - I think it was more just kidding.

And about the other subject of unwanted phone calls - if it is a true violation of the DNC, and I have the time, I run them through the ringer. I recite the law to them, inform them they are violating Federal law, inform them that they have to mail me their DNC policy, etc, etc, etc. They never do, but it slows 'em down....

-ERD50
Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

A true story from one of my friends, Ms. Doe

Caller: Can I speak with Ms. Doe?
Ms. Doe: Who's speaking?
Caller: This is the Prairie Gazette and we have a great subscription offer for you!
Ms. Doe: Does it come in Braille?
Caller: Oh. Bye!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Since I don't have a landline I never get those annoying phone solicitations anymore (another benefit), but when I did I had my script mentally prepared. I wish I could take credit but I learned this from someone else, and used it many times:

Caller: No, I'm from AARP-TruGreen-FOP-Acme Insurance and I have a great offer for Mr. Doe.
That is a riot.
I had one friend who would do his best to keep the telemarketer on the phone as long as possible. 'Really, and how does that work?', 'Tell me more', 'I'm sorry, I don't think I understood that part about...'.
Worked great, he RARELY got further calls from the same company and he had fun.
Another friend of mine used the tactic of handing the phone to is 3 year old
Old 07-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
OK, I'm remembering now that I have a friend I used to call once in awhile who screened calls, and I would get irked. My guess it was because I didn't call them enough to expect the screening, so I wasn't prepared for it, and the sequence was:
  1. I called, preparing to converse;
  2. got the machine, so I had to start thinking of what message I would leave without babbling;
  3. then they answered, so I had to switch back into converse mode

The other part might be that I feel slightly inconvenienced at having to wait through the rings and the greeting mesage, like they feel their time is more important than mine, or something like that. Or maybe it's because I've yielded control to them, though I don't feel like I'm a control nut.

I understand screening, I realize I should feel good that my voice was pick-up worthy, and my reasons for getting irked aren't that good, but somehow I still do get a bit irked.

I don't think I know any screeners now, because of caller ID.

Make any sense?
Makes lots of sense. I think there may be a combination of annoyances that add up to being 'irked' for me. The ones you mentioned definately make sense for me and are probably reasons for me as well.
And I concur, my reasons aren't that good either. They just still affect me that way
Old 07-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Actually, I mostly end up picking up in the middle because I was busy with a home project, and it took a full 4 rings for me to get up, put the paint brush down, wash my hands....
Me too, a lot of times the caller is well into a message when I pick up. My friends know I have a bad back and telemarketers, who cares, I just turn the volume off and let it run its course.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is a riot.
Another friend of mine used the tactic of handing the phone to is 3 year old
If you have one of those nearby, it makes obnoxious telemarketers HILARIOUS. Only use this if they have called more than once before and you have instructed them not to call.

Quote:
My usual script is:

Caller: Hello, can I speak with Mr. FUERGOL? (they tend to butcher the easily pronounceable name)
Me: Speaking.
Caller: I'm calling from the Credit Protector Plus from Bank of Ameri... {click}

Time is a valuable commodity. Don't waste it receiving advertising from annoying telemarketers.