Land (Phone) Lines Obsolete?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Probably even less controversial than wrist watches. DW and I both have cell phones and we use a cable modem for internet, so we finally asked ourselves why we were paying about $35/month for an antiquated telephone. Had stopped using landline long-distance a long time ago (cell much cheaper) so why? Dropped the landline about a year ago, don't miss it at all and saving over $400/year. A no-brainer for us...

Not a problem unless your power is out for an extended period of time and you can't charge your other items. We had a wind storm last fall that knocked it out for a week and the land line came in real handy.

Not a problem unless your power is out for an extended period of time and you can't charge your other items. We had a wind storm last fall that knocked it out for a week and the land line came in real handy.

Good point. Katrina knocked out our power for a week so the land line was helpful. But I will probably take my chances one day and save the money. Most people call me on the cell phone anyway.

I am thinking of not getting a landline when we move to Missouri. Haven't decided for sure, yet. My retired big brother eliminated his landline several years ago and seems perfectly happy.

By the way, during an extended electrical outage you can always charge your cell phone in the car. (Of course, getting more gas can be a huge problem if gas stations don't have generators, as we saw after Katrina. Louisiana just passed a law that gas stations in hurricane-prone parts of the state have to have generators.)

I finally called 911 for the first time on my cell phone (when we had that car accident a few weeks ago), and it worked very nicely. So I guess that is not really as much of an issue as I had thought.

Aside from saving $23/month that now goes to my landline, there are reasons to avoid having a landline. Even when one is on the Do Not Call List, there are junk phone calls from nearly every business you have ever used, and there are political junk phone calls. So, I get 1-2 per day (more just before last November's election) and I don't like that. I guess there is no guarantee that Verizon will never sell my phone number to junk phone callers, but so far I have never received a junk phone call on my cell phone.

Back in "the old days" of dial-up, I needed a land line for internet access. Those days are long gone.

Last edited:

First, if it lasts that long I'm probably going to check into a hotel for a few days....

But....they have chargers that run off your car's cigarette lighter. Problem solved.

Speaking of obsolete items, in-car cigarette lighters!

If only my cell phone had good reception at my house, then I would drop the land line.

A "land line" type phone has a couple advantages that cell phones just don't do. They may not be important to you, but they are to me:

1) I greatly prefer an "answering machine" to voice-mail. Voice-mail does not allow me to "screen" calls. I can listen to the message being left, and pick up if I can hear it requires immediate attention, or let it go to the machine, which I do 90% of the time. My ans machine "beeps" to let me know a new message is there, and the message count - I don't have to check in to see if there are messages.

2) For a reasonable cost, I got a phone base with 4 extensions. Nice to have a phone nearby w/o having to carry a cell with me all the time.

3) For me, cost - I added a VOIP "Land-line" to the family pack we have for the kids phones that they needed for college - $10/month and a few bucks of taxes/fees. With that, the other three of us get by fine with pre-paid. And we already had the "land-line" phone/extensions.

Now, 90% of the calls we get are for other family members - so that is one reason the "screening" works well for me. And, people call that line first (or when the others cannot be reached by cell phone), and I may be able to help the caller if I hear that it is something I can help with (yes, they are at the gym with their cell phone off, they'll be home in 1/2 an hour, etc).

If anyone knows how to get real "answering machine" function with a cell phone, please let me know.

-ERD50

I'll have to say that we still use our landline phone 90% of the time when at home. The cell phone might get some call-ins but we hardly ever make calls on the cell. Also, we need it for the fax. Has anyone figured out how to send a fax with cell phones? Last but not least, we have the package deal from Verizon for FIOS TV, internet, cell phone and landline. A single person like my son does well with just the cell phone.

I get terrible reception on my cell at home. And I don't get it in digital mode, so it drains the battery quickly. I'd have to keep it plugged in anytime I forgot to do it overnight, so it'd be like the old days on a wired phone in the house rather never being to far from an extensions. There's just no way I can drop my land line today.

If I had strong digital service at home I'd probably look at dropping the land line.

I used to worry about the 911 issue, but I think you can still call 911 just by plugging in a phone even if you don't have a land line number. But if you have an alarm system you also need a land line, and my satellite company wants one too, but I think there's ways around that.

They had land lines in my daughter's dorm. First thing she did was unplug it and put it on the back top shelf of her closet, so it wouldn't take up valuable space on her desk.

For those with cell phones only, how many telemarketer calls do you get? I know about the no-call rule with cell phones, but I still get land line calls from "credit card services" even though I'm on the don't call list. It seems that the more you give you your cell number to business, the more likely some related business will call you about some other great opportunity.

1) I greatly prefer an "answering machine" to voice-mail. Voice-mail does not allow me to "screen" calls. I can listen to the message being left, and pick up if I can hear it requires immediate attention, or let it go to the machine, which I do 90% of the time. My ans machine "beeps" to let me know a new message is there, and the message count - I don't have to check in to see if there are messages.

I almost typed [/phone] LOL

If you have known numbers programmed into your phone you can at least screen based on who is calling. If it is my mom or dad I almost always let it go to voice mail and call them back at a convenient time, because they just want to chat. On the iPhone I can even listen to the voice mail without dialing anything.

For things requiring immediate attention my wife and I typically text first, then call if a response isn't forthcoming.

Might not work for you, but I can't say I miss not having a land line at all over the last 5-6 years.

I pay $15.61/month for a landline which I will keep for another year or so, and then re-think it. I don’t pay for caller ID or any other features. I use it to make long distance calls using a prepaid service which cost me about $5 or $6; I’ve been using that same card for a couple of years, still has a couple of hours time on it.

I get calls from every venue I bought tickets for, every non-profit I ever donated to, many many calls for deadbeats with my last name and first initial because that’s how I’m listed. And I enjoy all those calls warning me that the warranty is soon expiring on my non-existent car, or maybe I’d like my non-existent carpets cleaned, ditto my non-existent mortgage, *&#*, yeah, keep it clean. I either let most calls go into voice mail or make mincemeat of the robot and call center ones.

Some people who call occasionally don’t have my cell phone number. Curiously, it is useful that the landline can be looked up though 411; my cousins tend to lose the number. The doorbell rings on the landline, so I use it for deliveries and guests.

Wonder what my neighbor’s rhyming beef is:

Attachments

• IMG_5724.jpg
    IMG_5724.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 0
I get calls from every venue I bought tickets for, every non-profit I ever donated to, many many calls for deadbeats with my last name and first initial because that’s how I’m listed. And I enjoy all those calls warning me that the warranty is soon expiring on my non-existent car, or maybe I’d like my non-existent carpets cleaned, ditto my non-existent mortgage, *&#*, yeah, keep it clean. I either let most calls go into voice mail or make mincemeat of the robot and call center ones.

I do NOT miss telemarketing calls. Not one bit.

I almost typed [/phone] LOL

If you have known numbers programmed into your phone you can at least screen based on who is calling.

My wife does a lot of work with school groups. A long, long list of students and their parents that change each year. Pretty regular stream of calls where people have a basic status question that she can answer and I can't. So when I hear "this call is for mrs erd50, and I wanted to know if that flower sale money can be applied for....", I let it go to the answering machine.

But, if it is the lady down the street - "hey, I was just going to leave the house, and if mrs erd50 hasn't left yet we can car-pool..." - well, I pick that up right away so I can tell mrs lady down the street what's going on. By the time she tries her cell phone, she might be gone (and then she is trying to answer the cell phone while driving? not good.)

For me, call screening is a must.

-ERD50

But, if it is the lady down the street - "hey, I was just going to leave the house, and if mrs erd50 hasn't left yet we can car-pool..." - well, I pick that up right away so I can tell mrs lady down the street what's going on. By the time she tries her cell phone, she might be gone (and then she is trying to answer the cell phone while driving? not good.)

For me, call screening is a must.

-ERD50

In my situation, my wife would have to answer all those calls, on her own cell phone. I'm not seeing the negative on that one. LOL

Oh, and cell phone + car is simply what pretty much everyone else is doing all the time. You should do it safely, using hands-free tech of some sort, but it's pretty much S.O.P. these days.

Of course it's a personal preference for each, and I'm certainly not trying to talk any one into it, but I think the majority of the population has shifted/adjusted to the newer tech. Newer does not always = better of course....but I digress...

We have a landline which we almost never use. I have it so I can send faxes from my printer, our safety system and just back up for emergencies.
If power is unavailable, I have a solar charger with an adapter for our phones. So power isn't an issue for us.
ERD, screening the calls really does require a landline to my knowledge. I find calling someone who screens their calls very very annoying, but since I don't ever call you I don't see that should stop you:)
On the iPhone I can view all my stored messages, listen to any of them, in any order, call back at the press of a button. That combined with identifying rings/callerid is pretty much all the screening I need.
Combine that with not having a single telemarketer call in 3 years (since I went to all cell phone use) and I am sold, I would never go back:)

We recently got rid of the landline. Somehow every month something that was supposed to cost $20 ended up around $50. We use our cell phones for everything now, overseas calls, local calls etc.

I do NOT miss telemarketing calls. Not one bit.

Paradoxically, that's one of the hesitations for dropping the landline. I have all the telemarketing calls corralled onto that line; and to be honest, I'm not very bothered by them. Since cell phone usage (for me) is still in the transition phase, what's to stop those calls from landing on the cell? Most of the transactions I do online require a valid phone number, which means if I drop the landline and, say, buy tickets from a new venue, they would have my cell number for their telemarketing calls, a cell phone which has to be turned off in their venue.:)

I use my land line when call 1-800 numbers so I don't have to use up my minutes.

In my situation, my wife would have to answer all those calls, on her own cell phone. I'm not seeing the negative on that one. LOL.

But my wife is not going to answer her personal cell phone at work, in the shower, gardening, at the gym, etc (or in the car). Some of those would go to voice-mail and that would be fine, but like I said, some are time dependent, and me being able to pick those up and answer is helpful. Saves a wasted trip or time or helps us carpool occasionally. In those cases screening > voice-mail.

Oh, and cell phone + car is simply what pretty much everyone else is doing all the time. You should do it safely, using hands-free tech of some sort, but it's pretty much S.O.P. these days.
Studies indicate that hands-free very dangerous as well. There is a distraction factor there that is different from talking to the person in the seat next to you. Google the studies for more.

Of course it's a personal preference for each, and I'm certainly not trying to talk any one into it, but I think the majority of the population has shifted/adjusted to the newer tech.
Agreed, and I'm not trying to "sell" anyone on my preference. But I am amazed at how many people will tell me how that I don't need an ans machine, and how much better voice mail is, w/o considering the many ways I utilize an ans machine that makes it better for *me*.

I find calling someone who screens their calls very very annoying, but since I don't ever call you I don't see that should stop you:)

How so? For me, it seems that it benefits both the caller and myself. It's best to talk to someone when you can give them your undivided attention, not when you are in the middle of painting or whatever, and trying to talk and deal with wet paint at the same time.

When I end up picking up a call for DW, it's not unusual that I get "Oh, can you tell her, bla, bla, bla... (me)"wait, let me get a paper and pen, wait, what's that, repeat that number please....", then they start asking me questions that only she can answer, and it's a big waste of time for both of us. I've come really close a couple times to saying "OK, say, would it be OK if I hang up and ask you to call back and leave a message for her? That way, you don't have to deal with my lousy dictation skills, and I can get back to painting...."

I use my land line when call 1-800 numbers so I don't have to use up my minutes.

With our $10 T-Mobile @ Home "land line", all local/LD calls are unmetered, so I don't use cell phone minutes for anything from home.

-ERD50

I cancelled my Vonage today (which is as close as I have been to a landline for the last 5.5 years) to go completely cellular. I have been putting minutes on my unemployed sister's "pay as you go" cell phone for the last few months but that's an expensive way to go.

I will still help her but she will now be on our Verizon plan. I boosted the plan to 1400 minutes (we had been at 500 minutes) and added a line for her using an existing phone (deceased MIL's). The additional cost per month is about $65 but that nets out to $35 since we will no longer be paying Vonage $30 per month. The additional $35 per month is much less than I have been adding to her T-Mobile account. I can drop her like a hot rock (no contract because we used existing phone) if she uses excessive minutes or busts her 250 text message allotment. Sisterly generosity only goes so far!

After the mortgage and property taxes, the cell phone bill is the next highest bill we have. Yikes!

Zathras said:
I find calling someone who screens their calls very very annoying, but since I don't ever call you I don't see that should stop you:)
How so? For me, it seems that it benefits both the caller and myself. It's best to talk to someone when you can give them your undivided attention, not when you are in the middle of painting or whatever, and trying to talk and deal with wet paint at the same time.
It isn't the answering machine that puts me off. It is the screening aspect. I agree completely that it is in both parties benifit that the conversation happen when both parties can give their undivided attention. That is what voicemail is for (or answering machines).
As for why I get irked if someone answers after the machine starts in, I am afraid I can't really tell you.
I should, I suppose, feel special as you have deemed me as worthy of speaking to you:flowers:
But for some reason, people allowing the machine to screen their calls and then picking up after the machine starts, just irks me. Not so much the first time, but if it happens regularly...
As for the complicated messages for your wife, I have NEVER run into that. But I suppose that is because she has her own phone number and is responsible for her own calls/voicemail. I supose if it did happen I could give the person my wife's number and have them call her directly?

I agree, no one can tell another person what is best for them. I think most people just find the convenience of voice mail is so much better for their own needs that they are surprised you prefer the answering machine. If the answering machine works better for you, more power to you:) I could never get used to accessing the messages from away from the house and hated the need to listen to all the messages to hear the last one. Of course, I am a pack rat and always wanted to keep most of the messages that came in.

CuppaJoe, I BELIEVE that it is illegal for telemarketers to call cell phones. I am not sure though. All I know is that I use my cell phone for everything, and all businesses that I deal with, and I have never received a cold call or call unrelated to work that was currently being done. I do get a lot of emails, but no cell calls (knock on wood).

But for some reason, people allowing the machine to screen their calls and then picking up after the machine starts, just irks me. Not so much the first time, but if it happens regularly...

I don't get irked because I simply won't call people who do that. :)

Well, I am not the only one in the world that feels that way then, thanks:)
But ERD asks a great question, "why?"
I mean, if the screener picks up, it means they feel I am important enough to talk to. I hold a more 'special' position.
Is the reason it is 'irksome' that you never know if the person is listening to your call and has deemed you NOT worthy of their time if no one picks up?

I will still help her but she will now be on our Verizon plan. I boosted the plan to 1400 minutes (we had been at 500 minutes) and added a line for her using an existing phone (deceased MIL'
s). T
he additional cost per month is about $65 but that nets out to $35 since we will no longer be paying Vona
ge $30
per month. The additional $35 per month is much less than I have been adding to her T-Mobile account. I can drop her like a hot rock (no contract because we used existing phone) if she uses excessive minutes or busts her 250 text message allotment. Sisterly generosity only goes so far!

After the mortgage and property taxes, the cell phone bill is the next highest bill we have. Yikes!

I added my Mom to our Verizon friends and family plan and it was only $10 extra a month . She lives in the same state as me but a few hours away .Maybe you could add your sister this way . It would be a lot cheaper .

Well, I am not the only one in the world that feels that way then, thanks:)
But ERD asks a great question, "why?"
I mean, if the screener picks up, it means they feel I am important enough to talk to. I hold a more 'special' position.
Is the reason it is 'irksome' that you never know if the person is listening to your call and has deemed you NOT worthy of their time if no one picks up?

And the other side of that is, I am totally irked by people who call, then just hang up rather than leave a message. I always tell people (i almost put this on my machine) that if it was important enough to call, it was important enough to leave a message. Even if the message is "nothing important, just wanted to chat", then I know I can call back at my leisure. With no message (and the caller ID and time left on the phone), I'm always left wondering... hmmm, maybe it was kind of important, or they have free tickets to somewhere, but need an answer right away so assume I'm out, and will call the next guy....

Actually, I mostly end up picking up in the middle because I was busy with a home project, and it took a full 4 rings for me to get up, put the paint brush down, wash my hands.... so how in the heck would a person ahead of time know whether I was "screening" to see if I wanted to talk to them, or it just took me a few rings to get to the phone? Why pre-judge my motive, why does that make me un-call-worthy?

Occasionally someone has commented - "Oh, screening your calls, eh?" - I'm honest, I say "yes, 90% of the calls are for my wife and I let those go to the machine". I can't understand why that would bother anyone either - I am in fact saying "your call is important, I'm picking it up". How is that bad in any way? The other calls are not "less important", they are just best handled by the machine.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom