Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Landlord Perils
Old 01-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Duplex 15 yrs - no real horror stories( fairly good tenants) - even so repairs, etc., etc, made me glad I didn't scale up to more rentals.

Heh heh heh - not a landlord type - all praise be to the stock market.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
I hear ya ... 20 years I've been doing this only 3 evictions involving young kids went down to the wire (sheriff brings in the movers). Most others result in the tenant moving to friends/family before the movers show-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan
Yeah, I let him come back the next morning and get his food. Didn't change the locks until the next afternoon. All the risk was mine ... he could have brought a bat and sought a little "revenge" on my vacant unit ... or left the water running ... or poured cement down the drains ... blah, blah, blah. Sometimes being human trumps business-sense.
Never had a missed rent check and I hope never to see an eviction, but I'd like to learn from others' experiences-- has anyone been able to avert a situation like this (with all its property-damage potential) by paying the tenants a small sum to vacate?

In other words, an eviction might cost 3-6 months of rent to execute, and at those prices it seems worth it to shortcut the process by offering them one month's cash after they leave the house empty & clean and hand you the keys.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

We haven't done that, but would if the situation warranted it. I do know landlords that have paid tenants to leave asap.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Never had a missed rent check and I hope never to see an eviction, but I'd like to learn from others' experiences-- has anyone been able to avert a situation like this (with all its property-damage potential) by paying the tenants a small sum to vacate?

In other words, an eviction might cost 3-6 months of rent to execute, and at those prices it seems worth it to shortcut the process by offering them one month's cash after they leave the house empty & clean and hand you the keys.
We've had two types of rental properties -- the first kind is nice single family homes in upscale suburban areas. Our problem with those was not evictions, but in getting our predominantly yuppie tenants to stay for the duration of their one year leases. They kept deciding to buy a house half way through their lease and moving out....

The other kind of rental property we have is in a low-cost rural area of CA. Here, we did have a couple who refused to pay their rent and refused to leave. So, having read all the real estate books that tell you that offering these kinds of tenants a cash payment in order to get them to leave works, this is what we did. Well, guess what. They can do the math as well as we. One month's rent cash in hand versus the three months free rent . They declined the cash and hung in there for the 3 months free rent. So, fast forward to the court hearing in January (3 months later) and the judge tells them they have 5 days to pack up. The guy looks at the judge and says "but judge, it's winter. Can't we have until spring to move out and find somewhere? There's snow on the ground!". Even this notoriously liberal judge told them to get real and get out.

Winnie
Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We haven't paid tenants to leave, but we have paid the occupants of properties we bought at tax sale to leave. Enough for a security deposit and first month rent somewhere else.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Way back in the 80's I managed about 75 SF Properties as a part-time job. Never had an eviction never had late payment, beyond about 10 days (Collected First, Last and Security Deposit). Never had many but going to them and saying "look you are late, if you do not intend to pay, I will expect the property to be vacant by "X date and time". In return for that I will not pursue." The few times I had to do this it worked out just fine. I saw others pursue evictions and they were mostly not a pretty thing. Property damaged almost always, cost to evict, possible retribution. I always saw that as something to avoid.