Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Landlord woes
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 24
Landlord woes

I know there are probably many on here that have rental property. Some renters can be nightmares. I have good tenants now but I was just thinking about the ones previous to them. I knew they were dirtbags but they had the cash and the deposit so I let them rent. To shorten the story to the end, after the water was cut off from non payment they kept living there. No electricity, they stayed. No rent, had to go to the magistrate and get them evicted. The mess they left behind was beyond belief. Paths of greasy filth where they walked dirty (no water for bathing). The first day after they were gone I hauled off all of their found on the street "furniture". The second day I started painting, had the carpet professionally cleaned etc. At this point I was only mad at myself because I knew this was coming. What made me mad beyond belief was that just by chance I walked to the back edge of the property and found their dog tied to a fence! This was 3 days after they had gone! No water, no food, nothing! First, I ran and got the dog water. Then I went down to the nearest store and got food. I called the SPCA and was surprised that they sent an investigator out. They got all of the info I had and were planning to charge the people for cruelty. They took the dog and I hope he got adopted. I know lots of people run credit checks etc to attempt to get decent renters. Lots of other renter nightmares over the years but it earns way more money than a savings account.
__________________

__________________
donothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,104
I admire people who can deal with being a landlord, and I know it can be a good financial deal if you make the right property choices. However, your post only reminds me that no, this isn't for me. If I had properties, I actually would likely enjoy doing the maintenance and repairs, I sort of like that. But dealing with nasty people and their leavings, not so much. Good luck and glad you've got good tenants now...
__________________

__________________
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by donothing View Post
.. I know lots of people run credit checks etc to attempt to get decent renters....
We always run credit checks. Once (years ago) we had someone that was "so
good" that we did not run a credit check. He was the only person we ever had
to actually evict. Never had a problem with someone with good credit, they are
in the minority but it is better to have an empty house than a nightmare
__________________
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_

We always run credit checks. Once (years ago) we had someone that was "so
good" that we did not run a credit check. He was the only person we ever had
to actually evict. Never had a problem with someone with good credit, they are
in the minority but it is better to have an empty house than a nightmare
I rented and moved around a lot my first 10 years out of college. As a renter, I thought the most important bill to be paid was the rent as it provided for a roof over my head. It seems like a fair amount of people now consider it the last bill to be paid after all the needs such as the IPhone, beer,and cable are paid. I could never stomach issues/excuses you have to deal with as a landlord.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I admire people who can deal with being a landlord, and I know it can be a good financial deal if you make the right property choices. However, your post only reminds me that no, this isn't for me.
+1
I am so glad that I don't have to be a landlord. There are so many enjoyable things to do in retirement, that I would hate to spend any of my precious time dealing with these issues.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Naples
Posts: 2,161
Reminds me of me days in Michigan when DW and I purchased some rentals. I always worried about collecting the rents and had this idea for when the time came to put the pressure on a deadbeat. I thought about showing up at their door with four big guys with scowls on their faces and carrying clubs. I would then explain to the deadbeat that we were all owners of the rental but the group elected me to collect the rent. They get angry when the rent isn't paid and they think I'm holding out on them. Now it's to the point they don't believe me and want to check on it themselves. You probably don't have the money today or you would have already paid me. You'll have to have it tomorrow because they hate coming back angry. Is there a problem with that?

Always wondered how that threat would go over? What are they going to do, call the cops? However, I never had a problem collecting the rents.
__________________
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
The heck with the deadbeats and the evictions, even the good tenants can have problems. Their son didn't mean to fall through the attic but...

They agreed to pay for the damage, but I still had to contact the drywall guy and show up for the repairs. Imagine if their son had been seriously injured or even disabled. The tenants wouldn't sue, but their insurance company wouldn't feel so charitable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garage ceiling hole.jpg (21.1 KB, 10 views)
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 643
First, last, plus a hefty deposit in front before they get the keys helps. That's after the credit report [I make them order a fresh one and give it to me], plus bank statements and balance sheets if self employed, and any other scrutiny you think necessary. Most flakes won't get thru that gauntlet.

I think about quitting ever time i get a vacancy, but I sure like putting the checks in the bank.
__________________
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
WestLake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 239
Ironic how some tenants think that the landlord is the bad guy.
__________________
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I admire people who can deal with being a landlord, and I know it can be a good financial deal if you make the right property choices. However, your post only reminds me that no, this isn't for me.
When we were preparing to move to WV DW and I thought about renting the former home. For about five minutes. Between the horror stories I'd seen at work and her brother's troubles with a rental he had we decided there was no way we'd burden ourselves with renting out a house.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,896
I have relatives that are flaky renters and always move out and leave the place a mess after the rent is unpaid for months. What amazes me is that they always seems to find a new sucker within a few days and settle in to start the process all over again. Initially I helped them move, but eventually realized I was just one more sucker on their list.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36
Reminds me of me days in Michigan when DW and I purchased some rentals. I always worried about collecting the rents and had this idea for when the time came to put the pressure on a deadbeat. I thought about showing up at their door with four big guys with scowls on their faces and carrying clubs. I would then explain to the deadbeat that we were all owners of the rental but the group elected me to collect the rent. They get angry when the rent isn't paid and they think I'm holding out on them. Now it's to the point they don't believe me and want to check on it themselves. You probably don't have the money today or you would have already paid me. You'll have to have it tomorrow because they hate coming back angry. Is there a problem with that?

Always wondered how that threat would go over? What are they going to do, call the cops? However, I never had a problem collecting the rents.
I remember a few years ago a co-worker of mine said he was having a problem with an alcoholic not paying his rent to him on a property he owned. He said he finally went to him and said he was going to get paid one way or the other, either by him or by the insurance company after he burned the house down with his drunk a$$ sleeping in it. He said he got paid shortly after. If he truly did say this, (knowing him as I did, I wouldn't be surprised if he did truly say it) Im sure it wasn't the most legal way to collect
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 391
We have very good tenants in our retirement condo. We are renting to them at WAY under market, because they have been no trouble whatsoever, and take at least as good care of it as I will (if not better!). It's worth it not to have to make endless repairs, many trips to inspect, and keep hunting for new tenants.
__________________
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
bad guy
Old 05-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 24
bad guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLake View Post
Ironic how some tenants think that the landlord is the bad guy.
Very true. Have had tenants knock the thermostat off of the wall and urinate on the carpet on their way out the door. Mad at me because they didn't pay the rent.
__________________
donothing is offline   Reply With Quote
credit
Old 05-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 24
credit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
First, last, plus a hefty deposit in front before they get the keys helps. That's after the credit report [I make them order a fresh one and give it to me], plus bank statements and balance sheets if self employed, and any other scrutiny you think necessary. Most flakes won't get thru that gauntlet.

I think about quitting ever time i get a vacancy, but I sure like putting the checks in the bank.
Unfortunately, this house I was talking about is not one that a person with any money or credit would rent. I am a slumlord with this one. The current renters love it though. Out in the boonies with 15 acres and a pond. The house though-yikes.
__________________
donothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by donothing View Post
Unfortunately, this house I was talking about is not one that a person with any money or credit would rent. I am a slumlord with this one. The current renters love it though. Out in the boonies with 15 acres and a pond. The house though-yikes.
There are reasons people like cheap, rundown properties in remote areas with lots of land -- and it isn't always because of lack of cash flow. Sounds like a good place for a meth house or a grow op. Hope you are able to do regular inspections....

Oh, and this stuff happens in urban areas, too. But more common/easier to hide in rural areas.
__________________
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 17
Or maybe they just like their privacy more than snazzy digs. My parents own a place just like that.
__________________

__________________
fireandearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:49 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.