Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

FWIW, I've owned two Dell laptops (one Inspiron and one Lattitude) , and used two Lenovo laptops supplied by my employer. The build quality of the Lenovos is much better than Dell. Also, the batteries on the Lenovos have been much more durable than on the Dells. In six years, I never had to get a replacement battery for the Lenovos, but I had two Dell batteries wear out within four years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm strictly a Mac guy, so the MacBook Pro is the only way to go for me, and you probably don't want to hear that.

But Walt Mossberg is one of the best reviewers I know of, and here is his take on current laptops:

Walt Mossberg's Fall Laptop Guide
The current MacBook Air is pretty amazing, and so easy to travel with.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Lenovo a good choice

[QUOTE=pb4uski;1376572]I'm a fan of Lenovo as they have been quite reliable for us. The one thing I think is important is to get a solid state drive - they are much quicker. Some of the Lenovo models have problems with overheating (mine does, but not DWs or DSs) so keep an eye out for that. I think an i5 or faster should do for you.

Ditto on the Lenovo. I replaced my older laptop with a refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad for $250. It is fast and runs everything I can throw at it. Good battery life. It is solid but a bit heavy, I wouldn't recommend using it if you are planning on traveling alot.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
+1

But it is not the cheapest.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I am still working off a 7 yo PC desktop and when it dies, I am planning to go MacBook Air, along with a desktop monitor, unless it lasts for many more years and the Macs deteriorate in quality/performance in the years to come.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #26

Most of my working life was spent with a large IT vendor so I was not predisposed to Apple. Not until we bought my son an Apple Pro (that is what he wanted to replace his PC). Then we travelled with an Ipad for nine months.

Now I am sold. May not wait for my laptop or my desktop to crap out. I no longer need the laptop for travel....too heavy, too slow, too everything compared to the Ipad.

The only think that I did not like was not being able to shop and price. With Apple, the price is the price. Hate that. You can get an edu discount if you know a student or teacher etc.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I have not used any Mac, due to my past work life that required a PC. However, I did once look at a Macbook Air and was amazed at its physical characteristics.

From this thread, I learned about the Lenovo Yoga that Katsmeow mentioned. It's just as thin and as light. Just wonderful. At a cursory look, the Yoga has a more powerful CPU and a far better resolution, whatever that's worth to a user. The Yoga is not cheap either.

So, it is back to whether one likes Apple IOS or Windows.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Me too. Each version of Windows that Microsoft comes out with seems to be more troublesome than the prior version. I have used a Mac for just over a year now and can't imagine going backwards now.
After a lifetime of MSDOS & Win PCs, I can imagine buying a MacBook Pro with Office software one day...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

To each their own. I will stick with non-apple. Price is a big part of that and the whole apple cult thing. Not bashing, I know many love them....just not for me.

Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still driving an old Lenovo G550 - been fabulous for my needs. Never use it on my lap though, it sits on a TableMate classic (as seen on TV) that fits nicely around the swivel base of my recliner. I had a pair of bifocals made such that the line coincides with the top of the laptop screen and the bottom of the TV. Couch-potato heaven!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I was a Mac advocate for many years - even to the point of butting heads with our IT department to get a Mac (I did). In the mid 1990s I transitioned to Win at work and then later at home. While the Mac is a fine machine, IMO it isn't heads and tails better then Win like it was early on - Win has caught up in terms of functionality and ease of use.

The version of Quicken for Mac is horrible compared to the Windows version.

If you spend the same $ that you would spend on a MacBook Air on a Win ultra-book you would have two fine machines - both lightweight, fast and good battery life.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post

I personally have a notebook on order right now:

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro: Laptop Tablet Hybrid - Multimode Ultrabook Laptop | Lenovo (US)
Please let us know how you like this once you have had it for a bit. For what it's worth, definitely not much to the OP here, this is machine that I decided was best for my purposes a while back. (Being cheap, I did not buy and am still making do with a much older laptop and no tablet.)

I like having one main device to use for all things all the time (rather than a desktop for high power + tablet for recreation + laptop business travel). And, this machine did not have great docking station options the last time I looked (typed from docked laptop on real keyboard with dual monitors going).
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #33

Honestly, for what you want to do an i5 processor would be just fine. At same price point I would gladly forgo i7 processor in favor of a better (sharper, brighter) screen. My stable of computers inc Mac (back to OS 9 to run a few old things) & Win. While all the current Mac laptop screens are fine (retina is awesome!), some of the cheaper Windows displays are marginal even at the same indicated resolutions. Try to compare screens in person before you buy. I have an entry-level Fujitsu 15" that gives me much more eye strain than my 7yr old MacBook Pro despite having better "stats" for screen resolution.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I like having one main device to use for all things all the time (rather than a desktop for high power + tablet for recreation + laptop business travel). And, this machine did not have great docking station options the last time I looked (typed from docked laptop on real keyboard with dual monitors going).
The Yoga2 has Intel's wireless display.
How to Connect a Mobile Device to TV Wirelessly ? IntelŪ WiDi
Connect the mouse/keyboard via bluetooth.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I have made do at home with an aging netbook that has some issues with the screen, but which is adequate for surfing on the couch. Since I am bailing in January it is unlikely this will do it, especially since I want to be capable of picking up contract or freelance work. I know I will want Office, but I don't care about a touch screen. The other thing that will be important is the ability to efficiently deal with video. We were given a small projector that works well to watch movies on the basement wall and movie night has quickly become a favorite of the kids. What specs do I need? What processor? What is the cheapest way to get what I need without cutting too many corners?
I would think a lot about my "usage model". From what you've said:
1) Browsing the web on couch
2) Running Office
3) Running Video

I'll bet there are other uses you have not considered. When you bail in January they may become more evident. And about Office, are we talking light usage or massive spreadsheets?

Anyway, I can only really talk about my usage model with any authority. I've found my little Nexus 7 (7 inch screen table, $229) is really nice for couch surfing. Might depend a bit on one's eyesight though.

Then I walk over to my PC with the big screen for real typing and spreadsheet work. Nowadays that could be replaced with a laptop that docks into the bigger screen. But I'd want a laptop that has great battery life. Too many people buy these mobile things and wind up tethered to the power cord. The Haswell processor line sounds like it might be the ticket. Maybe consider buying an extra battery for the laptop so there is always a spare -- however, some manufacturers recommend storing batteries at 50% of power.

There were Apple and even Microsoft stores close to us that I enjoyed visiting before I bought my Nexus 7. Also Best Buy is fun. One might bring some files on a memory stick to have real files to look at. Doing the homework can be fun.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #36

Dell just released its Black Friday 2013 advert. Anyone know of other PC Black Friday ads?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Anyone know of other PC Black Friday ads?
Scroll down on this page for a boatload of em...

2013 Black Friday Ads, Sales, and Shopping Deals

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post

I like having one main device to use for all things all the time (rather than a desktop for high power + tablet for recreation + laptop business travel).
I'll let you know how it turns out. I handled one at Best Buy (they had none in stock so I ordered from Lenovo with a coupon which got me down to the BB price) and it seemed great.

Philosophically, I've always looked for the holy grail of the one device to rule them all. Practically, I have found that it really doesn't exist. So I do have a desktop (Falcon NW Tiki which is great), a table (iPad third generation), and an iphone and - soon - Yoga 2 Pro.

I have gotten more reconciled to multiple devices when I recently read an article that basically said that it really is impossible to find one device that meets all the needs. This article was taking the position that - in time - the one device will be for those who can't afford to have more than one device so the compromises are accepted. On the other hand, those who can afford specialized devices to meet each individual need will be more likely to go for those. I think that is about right for the future. Of course, plenty of people don't actually do things that such that they have any need for specialized devices. The person who only uses the internet to consume media and do casual web searches may not need a desktop at all, for example.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I have gotten more reconciled to multiple devices when I recently read an article that basically said that it really is impossible to find one device that meets all the needs. This article was taking the position that - in time - the one device will be for those who can't afford to have more than one device so the compromises are accepted. On the other hand, those who can afford specialized devices to meet each individual need will be more likely to go for those. I think that is about right for the future. Of course, plenty of people don't actually do things that such that they have any need for specialized devices. The person who only uses the internet to consume media and do casual web searches may not need a desktop at all, for example.
Yeah, as I mentioned in a thread I started back in March, I was debating whether to replace my dead desktop with another desktop or a laptop. I was leaning toward the desktop because of reasons stated in this article mentioned by another ER poster.

But now I'm reconsidering, as I don't do intense video editing or high-powered gaming, so a (more mobile) laptop may be the better choice. Still undecided. I'm in the market for a new desktop or laptop but I'm in no hurry, as my present laptop is working just fine...for now.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Yeah, as I mentioned in a thread I started back in March, I was debating whether to replace my dead desktop with another desktop or a laptop. I was leaning toward the desktop because of reasons stated in this article mentioned by another ER poster.

But now I'm reconsidering, as I don't do intense video editing or high-powered gaming, so a (more mobile) laptop may be the better choice. Still undecided. I'm in the market for a new desktop or laptop but I'm in no hurry, as my present laptop is working just fine...for now.
Like you, I have been considering not replacing my desktop computer when it croaks. I have been purposely not using it for several years, except as a redundant storage device, and honestly I don't miss it. Laptops have become so powerful in recent years, that I think mine can do whatever I want. My laptop is fine for gaming, for example (although I do most of my gaming through dedicated consoles). My iPad provides me with alternate internet access when needed, and so far I have not really discovered any reason to buy another desktop when my present 2005 vintage desktop bites the dust.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote