Join Early Retirement Today

Laptop Batteries
Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Laptop Batteries

I've now had my Dell E1505 laptop for one year and 5 months, and the battery now lasts only 29 minutes.

I wonder if it's worth replacing it. Anybody done that?

Anyone tried rejuvenating the battery (like this for example)?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

May want to check with Dell as the E1505 was on the list of recalled batteries. Here is a link to the site: https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/
Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Always buy my Dell's with two of the higher capacity batteries and use one till it dies, then switch to the other. I also plug into an outlet whenever I have the choice to avoid lots of deep cycles and extend the life of each battery. Also use many of the power save functions. That'll get me about ~ 3.5 to 4 years on one laptop, Batteries will always be a weak link IMHO.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Always buy my Dell's with two of the higher capacity batteries and use one till it dies, then switch to the other. I also plug into an outlet whenever I have the choice to avoid lots of deep cycles and extend the life of each battery. Also use many of the power save functions. That'll get me about ~ 3.5 to 4 years on one laptop, Batteries will always be a weak link IMHO.
Wow, does plugging it into an outlet extend battery life? For some reason I thought it had an opposite effect. The reason I ask is that I keep my laptop plugged in almost all the time and have always felt guilty about it.

Trombone Al, I would help if I had a clue - - but I really don't! That method might be worth a try. Couldn't do any harm if you are only getting 29 minutes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Wow, does plugging it into an outlet extend battery life? For some reason I thought it had an opposite effect. The reason I ask is that I keep my laptop plugged in almost all the time and have always felt guilty about it.

Trombone Al, I would help if I had a clue - - but I really don't! That method might be worth a try. Couldn't do any harm if you are only getting 29 minutes.
Charge - discharge cycles take the batteries to end of life. By keeping it plugged in, you aren't discharging, thus no need for the laptop to recharge it, and thus no "cycle."
Old 04-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Charge - discharge cycles take the batteries to end of life. By keeping it plugged in, you aren't discharging, thus no need for the laptop to recharge it, and thus no "cycle."
Thanks!! Guess I can replace my with a .

Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I read the complete opposite of that -keeping it plugged in kills the battery.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
I read the complete opposite of that -keeping it plugged in kills the battery.
Oh boy........ Well, I was basing my comments on the fact that rechargable batteries have a life measured in full recharge cycles. And if you run it off an external battery eliminator you won't discharge it. Thus you won't have to charge it. Thus no "cycle." Maybe some computers hold the battery at too high a float voltage while it's plugged in? I'll go google a little........
Old 04-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Also, buying an extra battery for later use is not recommended. If you do, store it in the fridge.

How to prolong lithium-based batteries
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

OK..... nothing is ever as simple as hoped. It turns out the situation is different for Nickle-based vs. Lithium-Ion. So, treat the plugged in vs not plugged in status of your laptop with reguard to it's battery type which determines whether it prefers or abhores going through a full discharge.

Lithium-Ion:

should give you between 300-500 charge/discharge cycles. This type of battery doesn't like full discharges and should be avoided when-ever possible. The technology is still being enhanced and should continue to be the battery of choice for laptop manufactures in the future. Elevated temperatures seem to have an adverse effect on this batteries life. Lithium-ion battery manufactures believe that a typical life span should be somewhere between 2 to 3 years. Most lithium-ion batteries fail because of exposure to excessive heat rather than the charge/discharge habits of the user.
  • Nickel-based Battery:
(nickel cadmium and nickel metal hydride) Unlike the lithium based battery, this battery likes being discharged and then fully charged. If a Nickel-based battery is always partially discharged before recharging, the usable capacity of the battery will be reduced. This battery has a voltage capacity 3 times less than the Lithium battery (1.2 V -vs- 3.6 V) making it less commonly used in the portable industry. If your laptop is 3 or more years old, then most likely you have this type of battery.

So, WTR, I answered your question based on my battery and without regard to the type you have. Thanks to JohnDoe for pointing that out!

Edited to add: Reading JohnDoe's attachment, I see there is even variation in how to handle Li-On. They don't like full discharge, so plugging in after a partial discharge seems to be a good thing. But they also don't like being held at a high float voltage and if that's your computer, well leaving it always plugged in could spell some trouble too.

My take-away - with my Li-On, I'll avoid full discharge when possible even if this means a lot of plugging in between partial discharges. I'll also avoid letting it sit fulling charged and floating for extended periods of time, like while paddling and chasing walleyes in Quetico Provincial Park.

Frankly, I'm glad I can just afford a new battery every once in a while! I recall that at w*rk, we all had docking stations with keyboards and monitors. In your office, your laptop was in the docking station and charging. Time for a meeting? Yank the laptop, leave for an hour or two and then come back and plug it back in. So, over time, we probably excecised the worse case scenario for any battery and I don't recall having, or hearing anyone else having, trouble. Of course, when someone else is paying for replacement batteries, maybe we weren't paying as much attention!!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for looking that up! I was probably thinking of the older nickel based batteries rather than modern lithium-ion batteries like mine. Sounds like it is OK if I leave it plugged in, as long as it doesn't get too hot. Good.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #12

For Li-ion:

- Cycling them, i.e. charging and discharging, causes degradation
- Deep discharge are worse than shallow discharges. e.g. One 100% discharge is worse than 2 50% discharges.
- Maintaining them at high state of charge causes degradation
- Maintaining them at high temperature causes degradation

For a laptop battery it is best to keep them plugged in when possible so that cycling is minimized.

For a camcorder battery where you don't use them very often it is best to discharge them completely, then charge them for just a bit say 5-10 minutes or so and then store them in the refrigerator to minimize state-of-charge and temperature degradation. Just remember to charge it before you need it. It is best to also let it warm up before charging it.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I havent had much luck with rejuvenating laptop batteries, and most of the newer batteries dont last very long. Even my old expensive thinkpads and latitudes started getting weak around 2 years old. I had to replace my wifes e1705 battery after about a year and a half, although the old one will still hold power for an hour.

The e1505 batteries are a bit spendy too...around $140 a pop.

I've bought from these guys with decent results...

Batteries.com coupons and cash back
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Or, you can get out he soldering iron and make your own. Probably not worth the money saved unless you just want the fun of making your own battery. Safety glasses--not optional.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #15

I have seen some good deals on eBay, both brand names and off brands. As with other purchases, make sure to read the seller's feedback so you know if you're buying from a reliable source.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have a theory.

Laptop vendors are taking a page from the printer vendors (and expensive inkjet cartridges)...

Cheap laptops and Batteries that need replacement in 1 year.... the consumer must buy a new battery every year at $100 a pop.

Laptop is free... battery $300
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, guys.

$600 for the computer and $140 for the battery. I think I'll just use it plugged in all the time.

I bet that using it and keeping it near the wood stove didn't help things.

Re: Battery hack:
Here's the fixed link:

If this weren't my main computer, I'd do that.