Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Just like I told you on the first go-around of this, you are trading one thing for another.

-ERD50
You had me worried that I'd recently brought this up and forgotten, but it's been a while, right?

The situation with my old laptop was different in that I used it every day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm a little confused. How is this different from turning it off, which you said you don't want to do?

As I understand it, and I'm pretty sure this is the same in the Apple world ( they call it "Safe Sleep"?, "hibernate" is shutting it 'off'. The difference from a 'normal ' shutdown is it writes current RAM to your hard drive/SSD before it shuts down. So on start up, it reloads this so you are right back where you left off (documents and windows recovered). This will likely take just a little longer than a regular off/on cycle.

It makes sense to do it that way, there just seems to be a disconnect between this and you saying you didn't want to wait for it to boot up, Did you change your mind on that?

I think I read there may be a delay before it actually hibernates (edit - OK, you mentioned after 5 minutes....) - maybe you are actually seeing a fast start up because it is really just in regular sleep mode, it has not hibernated yet?

-ERD50
Hibernate is quite different than shutting down. It's faster to just restore the memory than go through all the booting up stuff. The sleepimage file is only 1 gig in size:

I set it to hibernate immediately and got the fast startup. Also, I tried setting the delay to only one minute, waited, and got the fast startup. That tells me that a restart from hibernate is much faster than booting up.

There's no way to know if the machine is totally off, and no way to detect disk access, so I only have strong but circumstantial evidence that it has hibernated.

I should probably just set it to hibernate immediately.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Just tested. From the moment I open the case to windows open:

When sleeping: 2 seconds
When hibernating: 9 seconds
Old 01-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hibernate is quite different than shutting down. It's faster to just restore the memory than go through all the booting up stuff. The sleepimage file is only 1 gig in size:

I set it to hibernate immediately and got the fast startup. Also, I tried setting the delay to only one minute, waited, and got the fast startup. That tells me that a restart from hibernate is much faster than booting up.

There's no way to know if the machine is totally off, and no way to detect disk access, so I only have strong but circumstantial evidence that it has hibernated.

I should probably just set it to hibernate immediately.
OK, thanks, you are right. This has either changed from the last time I studied it, or my memory is corrupt, or both.

I was thinking that hibernate did a bare boot, and then loaded this stuff from memory, but I just read that the entire image is loaded from that one file, and that provided the machine with everything it needs, it essentially already is booted. Reading from one file is faster than reading from many files,plus you skip a lot of the processing of each file.

I also just read that they compress that file, which is interesting. In the old days, you compressed to save disk space, but took a hit in performance since the decompress algorithm had to run. Now, CPU is faster than the disk, and disks are big, so compress/decompress saves time!

Bottom line - it looks like hibernate is a good option for you! Success!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Either I’m just lucky or my natural habits are in sync with the battery, but I’ve never had a battery problem and frankly, never gave it much thought. I think my first iPhone lasted over 4 years before work made me turn it in. My next one lasted another 4 years before I retired and my laptop is still working. They just don’t seem as fragile to me as is described. My laptop was mostly plugged in, but the battery is still working fine. My phones, I plug in at night and I’ve never had them not last through the day unless I was on a bunch of conference calls. I guess luck is fickle and ignorance is bliss. Seems to be working, so I won’t mess with it.

And yes, I do care about keeping things out of a landfill. Until they improved the batteries on hand tools (cordless drills), it was very disturbing that, one, the battery would go bad very quickly, but two, and most disturbing, is that the battery cost as much as replacing the tool, which gave you a new battery and a new tool and charger. Thus making the old tool worthless as no one would buy a battery for $75 when on sale you could get a new tool for say $90. That was frustrating.
The tool analogy somewhat applies to these Apple laptops and most phones now. That does make battery preservation a bigger deal.

I also have not noticed big degradation with my laptops, which I use as desktops - they are plugged in almost all the time. But I also have not tested the battery fully in a while, since I so rarely us them off power, but as I recall, they were OK after 4+ years. But I could also buy a snap-in replacement battery for my laptops, so I'm not too concerned either.

It's hard to say how bad it is to keep it 100% charged. It's better not to, but how much is hard to say.

I might take my tool batteries in to have the cells replaced, I've heard that is cheaper? Supposedly, some local places will do it, you need a spot welder to get those cells together. Hmmm, maybe buy a cheap spot welder from Harbor Freight? But the tool is > 10 years old, I have two batteries, so I just swap them. Probably time for a new tool anyhow.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

I might take my tool batteries in to have the cells replaced, I've heard that is cheaper? Supposedly, some local places will do it, you need a spot welder to get those cells together. Hmmm, maybe buy a cheap spot welder from Harbor Freight? But the tool is > 10 years old, I have two batteries, so I just swap them. Probably time for a new tool anyhow.

-ERD50
Don't you think they just solder the batteries together and not spot weld. On very small devices I've taken apart, it looked like solder, but I've not yet taken a tool battery apart.