Join Early Retirement Today

Laptop cooling stand?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Laptop cooling stand?

I am really no computer expert, but read that it is wise to use a laptop cooling stand as it prevents the unit from overheating and extends the computer's life.
Looking at the following, and wonder if anyone here has any experience with this Belkin Cushtop Notebook Stand: Belkin CushTop - F8N044-GRN - Buy.com. This appears to be foam covered in microfiber, but it did have good reviews as to preventing your laptop from overheating, as well as, saving your legs from burning when the laptop is sitting on your lap.

Or would I be better off purchasing one with an actual fan in it? And, if so, any suggestions as to what type is best? I have been looking at amazon.com, pcnet, cnet, epinions.com and other sites as for suggestions, and can't seem to find "the one" that is best. Any suggestions from you computer pros out there?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I use one similar to that. It does a perfect job of keeping my laptop cool and in my case would not benefit from having a fan in it.

Another great thing about it is that it raises my laptop slightly to a slightly more comfortable position, for me. I use it all the time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I saw one of the Belkin cushions at Best Buy the other day. It looks like a great solution. I may invest in one, but the angle may be too great for my own personal ergonomic needs.
Other options
BestBuy.com - Search Results
I don't own any of these.
I currently use a 1/2" thick potholder on my left knee, which elevates the laptop and protects my leg. My leg skin actually discolored a little from the heat before I realized what was going on.
How do you like your leg of Freebird, medium-rare or well done?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #4

I did alot of homework on the Belkin laptop styles made of plastic with fans in them. Lots of positives on them, but the negatives scared me off (i.e., break easy, collapses on you).
Old 04-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #5

Here in central Ohio I like it when the Laptop gets warm - It adds comfort to an otherwise cold climate. I use a Dell which does tend to (over time) get pretty warm. However, since I did buy the 3 years warranty (bad experience with a former Toshiba LT) so, until that runs out I do not worry about the thing burning itself up. That being said I think a nice piece of cheap plywood or reasonably thick piece of something like Plexiglas would fill the bill a LOT cheaper than some of the $30 thing with built in USB fans I have seen.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Now that I'm at home, I checked and mine actually is the Belkin brand so it is exactly the same, Orchidflower. I got it at CompUSA's close-out sale for somewhere between $15-$20, which I guess was a steal. It seemed like a rip-off to me at the time, but it has been worth every cent.

It is virtually indestructible, light, comfortable (at least for me) and does the job.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got a nice Belkin one for $2 at a garage sale, but I gave it away because I like my pizza pan better. It's exactly like this one:

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #8

I have one. Has two fans in it and runs off the usb. The cable went out a year or so ago. Laptop is four years old. It has an amd chip and runs about the same temp as a toaster. Only reason I use the pad was to protect my lap. I am not sure how much good it did at protecting the laptop, as it is still going strong without it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have one and it helps. And I don't worry as much about spilling drinks.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:20 AM   #10

I recommend:

PC Connection - Liftoff Portable Notebook Cooling Stand

Great for travelers - collapses for compact storage, extremely lightweight, adjustable angle, unbeatable price, does the job!!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #11

I checked Amazon.com and Overstock.com for the Kensington PC Connection that Socca recommended. Interestingly those firms are asking for $20-21 plus for the same thing that his link asks for around $13-14. Go figure?
Aren't Amazon and Overstock "supposed" to be discounters? Obviously NOT.
Reviews are pretty decent for this item when I checked, too. Now to make a decision...
Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I checked Amazon.com and Overstock.com for the Kensington PC Connection that Socca recommended. Interestingly those firms are asking for $20-21 plus for the same thing that his link asks for around $13-14. Go figure?
Aren't Amazon and Overstock "supposed" to be discounters? Obviously NOT.
Reviews are pretty decent for this item when I checked, too. Now to make a decision...
If you travel, there is no way you could easily pack the Belkin cooler so you should get the other one.

Other things to think about are whether or not you would like the thickness of the Belkin cooler which raises your laptop two or three inches. It would bother me if I was using my laptop on a table, but the thickness is great for me when I use my laptop, well, in my lap.

The Belkin is not only nearly indestructable, it is very lightweight and personally, I like that.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #13

Thanks for the input, Want2retire and all. It surely helps alot.