Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

The Malaysian market usually get the slick new models about 4 months before we see them. And it appears that 128G is most likely the largest capacity that is priced even remotely with a laptop component price point.

ASUS is, BTW, the best maker of computer components like mother boards and non-gamer video cards. Good stuff.

I suspect Lenovo will put out a 128G SSHD with Vista and an upgrade certificate for Win 7. Maybe by Aug, as a semi-educated guess.

EDIT: Have you tried the KDE desktop on the EeePC, gosh I really like that interface. Like a simpler Vista, but done with about 1MB of code. Amazing how MS can bloat everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Re: #2 & hard drive - I'm waiting for a lenovo s10 to come out with Windows 7 to buy - Do know if that model will come out with a good size solid state hard drive or are you referring to a higher level model?

Right now I am using an ASUS eee with the Linix operating system. Great for web surfing and simple word and excel - Lightest of the bunch.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right now I am using an ASUS eee with the Linux operating system. Great for web surfing and simple word and excel - Lightest of the bunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post

EDIT: Have you tried the KDE desktop on the EeePC, gosh I really like that interface. Like a simpler Vista, but done with about 1MB of code. Amazing how MS can bloat everything.
Dex, which Linux are you running? I got the ASUS EeePC901 recently, and after just a few days I got frustrated with the limitations of the supplied Xandros Linux. Even though a complete newbie in this area, I just installed Ubuntu NBR (netbook release). So far I am very impressed. The install was really easy, unfortunately, getting through some of the geek-speak only to discover that it actually *is* easy was a bit frustrating.

Browsing, open-office, all works fine. My main purchase reasons were:

A) Have a very small, cheap, portable computer available when the need arises (which it did on a recent long w/e trip).

B) I bought an ext USB drive. I plan on getting this set up to be my main music player. Once I get all my CDs loaded, and eventually my vinyl, I can have playlists set up for all my music. I am sure I will listen more than when I have to dig around and find the CDs in the stack.

I felt that $270 was a reasonable risk to take that this would all work out. So far, so good, but I have not had too much time to play with it. Can't do Netflix viewing at this time on Linux though, I was hoping for that. Hulu works OK.

Also, DW just ordered the new Apple 13" aluminum laptop. $1099 at edu pricing, and you get a full rebate on a $229 iPod Touch (which she really wanted after seeing my son's). $9.99 to upgrade to Snow Leopard OS later in the year. Snow Leopard is supposedly designed to be able to make much better use of the multi-core chips. It'll be interesting to see the benchmarks, but I get the feeling that Apple is a bit leaner-meaner and in a better position to make changes like this than Microsoft is. Maybe it's a small difference though, I dunno.

-ERD50

Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Dex, which Linux are you running? I got the ASUS EeePC901 recently, and after just a few days
ERD50,
I'm running what came with the ASUS. I have 1.2Gig of free space remaining and a 4G SD card installed. I tried using the control panel to do things - it is giberish to me.

The only things I miss are being able to download podcast while traveling (I do that at home and put them on my iPod). Right now I have about 35-40G of books, podcasts, music and photos on a 60G iPod.

The only other thing I can think of missing is being able to watch TV on my computer while traveling.

This little Asus 701 really is great for traveling.

Do you have a link for what you installed?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ERD50,
I'm running what came with the ASUS. I have 1.2Gig of free space remaining and a 4G SD card installed. I tried using the control panel to do things - it is giberish to me.

Do you have a link for what you installed?
One of the problems I had with the pre-installed Linux was, after I ran the suggested updates, it ran out of space on the 4GB system flash drive. That seemed crazy, and the fixes were a lot of gibberish to me. I also found out that many of the supplied programs are locked down, and it is difficult to remove them (maybe the companies paid to have them installed for advertising purposes?). That didn't make sense to me when you have a very limited system disk.

Ubuntu is very open, as Linux should be. I have not experimented that much, and when you run into problems, the fixes sometimes are buried in geek-speak (even though the fix may be simple). But it is fast and efficient it seems.

So, for Ubuntu, go here:

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
Download Ubuntu Nebook Remix | Ubuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromImgFiles

I did the install by downloading the file (overnight) on my iMac, and following the terminal commands to get the file checksum verified and copied to the USB thumb drive. Don't let the commands scare you, they are not as bad as they look.

Once it is on the USB thumb drive, you can boot your netbook from it (hold esc or F2 when booting), and you can try it out right from there, w/o making any changes to your computer or internal drives at all. But changes will not be saved. Then just choose install - the installer is easy.

You can always go back to the original by using the start up disks that came with your netbook (I have an external USB CD/DVD drive, so this is easy for me).

I've loaded a few programs and utilities, and I've got 1.3GB of the 4GB free. I have not used much of the 16GB space yet.

IMO, the Linux community needs more people to cut through the geek-speak. I think they are scaring users away. I find Linux easy to use, but when you need some info they talk in their language, seldom reference the GUI. I guess that makes sense for them, but they need translators for the rest of us. I've literal seen someone list 25 lines of terminal commands to do something, and later someone says something like "can't I just check the box in the window for that preference setting", answer is "Oh yeah, I guess that does the same thing".

If I get into this more, I'll start posting on those forums, but that will be a while.

I also tried the earlier version of the Eee-specific Ubuntu (eeebuntu.org), but the word is that this 9.04 Ubuntu version handles the eeePC so well native-ly (everything seems to work for me), that there is no need for the specialized version, and you can avoid waiting for them to do their add-ons. eeebuntu is still on 8.10.

I also set the preferences for "standard" desktop - more like a "regular" computer desktop. That gives you the option for multiple desktops, which helps keep things organized an uncluttered on a small screen.

-ERD50
Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Dex, if you stick with Linux, you might consider looking on Ebay for a keypunch terminal and some blank cards.

Seriously, downloading Ubuntu or my preference Kubuntu will give the computer a much better interface. And the command scripts are pretty easy to write. Usually 20-lines of "sudo bash...." and "modprobe...." will solve about any issue.

But a Lenovo S10 at $349 and a $139 GSkillz 64GB SSHD installed as an upgrade and download the Win 7 RC1. You got the hottest rig going.

Use the 32GB in a Rosewill $11 external 2.5 drive housing.

Varoom.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am just barely computer literate, so this is probably a no-brainer
to you geeks:

I have been researching electronic readers like Kindle and Sony. My
question is could a netbook like Lenovo S 10 be used for that purpose?

At 75, my eyes need a bright back lit screen. Battery power would
not be a big issue (I think) as I could hook up the charger while reading
at my chair or in bed.

Thanks for your response.

Cheers,

charlie
Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Charlie,
I have not tried it but the EeePC can be used as a Reader. Here is a link
Things to Do With Your Many Aging Netbooks
Using Your Eee PC as an e-Book Reader @ Geeks.com

The best thing I saw was a program to rotate the screen on the EeePC.
Asus Eee Pc: Rotate your Asus Eee Pc

Hope those help.
Good idea, it's more useful than just a reader, so you have a nice little laptop and a reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
I am just barely computer literate, so this is probably a no-brainer
to you geeks:

I have been researching electronic readers like Kindle and Sony. My
question is could a netbook like Lenovo S 10 be used for that purpose?

At 75, my eyes need a bright back lit screen. Battery power would
not be a big issue (I think) as I could hook up the charger while reading
at my chair or in bed.

Thanks for your response.

Cheers,

charlie
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #28

PX4, Thanks for the links. I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions on my
desktop which is running Windows XP. I also found several web based
stores that sell Ebooks. I assume any netbook that runs XP should
be able to be used as a reader. Right? I sort of liked the reviews of
the Lenovo S 10, but could be talked into something else.

Cheers,

charlie
Old 06-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Charlie,
Don't forget audio books - either on cd or library downloads - no cost.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Charlie,
Yes andy XP based PC will handle ebooks, just need some software download. Likewise, I'm intriqed by the S10 also but would like to do a hands on to feel the quality for myself.

I have a ASUS Eee PC 8G with 7in screen (got it the day Eee debuted) and it is a superbly built computer. Actually fairly rugged. Really like it. Too small though for my big paws.
Amazon.com: Asus Eee PC 8G (7-inch Screen, 800 MHz Intel Celeron Processor, 1 GB RAM, 8 GB Solid-State Disk, Linux Preloaded) Black: Computers & PC Hardware

The newer Netbooks are much more user friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
PX4, Thanks for the links. I downloaded Adobe Digital Editions on my
desktop which is running Windows XP. I also found several web based
stores that sell Ebooks. I assume any netbook that runs XP should
be able to be used as a reader. Right? I sort of liked the reviews of
the Lenovo S 10, but could be talked into something else.

Cheers,

charlie
Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #31

I have been doing additional research on netbooks and discovered the
Samsung N120. It is a little pricy at $409 on Amazon but it has amazing
reviews. Also, Consumer Reports has the Samsung NC10 as their #1
choice. The Samsung N120 is an improved NC10 with better sound and
a black matte outer case. The only downside I saw other than price was
that the screen is glossy instead of anti-reflective. This would be a downer for outside use.

Has anybody had any experience with anti-glare screen savers for use
on PC's? If they work OK, I might spring for the Samsung N120.

Cheers,

charlie
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #32

Don't be so hasty to dismiss glossy screens. They're often better when there's lots of ambient lighting, because the only pick the ambient light from directly behind you not the light to the sides as matte screens do. Unless you have a window or bright light source right behind you glossy is actually much better.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #33

Well, I ordered the Samsung N120 from Amazon last night along with
a 2 MB ram chip and a carrying case. I also laid a big hint on DW that I would like the Samsung DVD writer for my birthday.

We will use this as a travel computer and I plan to try it out as a book
reader.

Cheers,

charlie
Old 06-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #34

Charlie,
Just for you info, I copied Microsoft Office disk to a flash drive and installed it on my Asus. For another program I needed a DVD drive and I used the drive on my desktop by sharing it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Charlie,
Just for you info, I copied Microsoft Office disk to a flash drive and installed it on my Asus. For another program I needed a DVD drive and I used the drive on my desktop by sharing it.
Or download OpenOffice -free, and it seems to handle just about everything that Office does (except macros?). But "sharing" the desktop DVD is a great solution/tip if you only need it from time-to-time.

-ERD50
Old 06-23-2009, 10:32 PM   #36

Just to update you, I am really enjoying my new Samsung N120. The
glossy screen is OK indoors (actually great) but reflections are going to
be a problem outside. I ordered a Matte screen protector and will let you
know how it works out.

I loaded all my music CD albums on it and hooked it up to my home
theater sound system. Using Windows Media Player to emulate a minature
juke box. The speakers on the N120 are fairly good quality for being so
tiny, but the sound is not loud enough for me even when turned all the way
up.