Laptop help

noworkethic

Recycles dryer sheets
I am not particularly computer savvy.

I need a new laptop, but almost all of the PC's on the market seem to include Vista, about which I have heard very few good things.

Don't want to pay for Apple.

Suggestions?

What type of tasks do you need the computer for?

You might be well served by a netbook computer which are inexpensive (less than $500) and run a slimmed down version of Windows XP.

Based on my (limited) personal experience with Vista, it would appear the bugs have been pretty much worked out. I bought a new laptop 4 months ago with Vista and, although it takes a little getting used to, I've not had any problems with it.

Vista isn't all that bad and there are options in it to make it work like XP

I have been using Vista for quite some time, and I wouldn't go back to XP if you paid me. I like Vista a lot.

Every time Microsoft comes out with a new operating system, it gets trashed mercilessly for the first couple of years. XP got some terrible reports too, until people got used to it.

The thing is, with Vista you really need more RAM than with XP. Be sure to get at least 1 GB of RAM, or more.

Don't want to pay for Apple.

Suggestions?
You don't want to pay for Apple, but is that what you want? I'm usually a cheapskate but I'm very happy I chose a MacBook Pro, YMMV.

I suggest thinking about Apple and trying to separate that from the cost.

I just bought a new netbook for travel - $250 for an "Eee" - 1G memory, 160G disk, 2.8 lbs, 3 USB ports, 9" screen and Windows XP (I still hate Vista). Just finished loading all my normal stuff on - Office 2000, Media Player Classic w klcodecs for all media handling, Firefox, ZoneAlarm, Foxit for pdfs - everything works fine. Got onto my LAN with no configuration, handled my old USB DVD drive and hard drives just fine. Only had to add a mouse (I still hate touchpads too).

I'm mostly a Mac bigot, but XP is a pretty decent OS (use it at work) and I bought a cheap EEE netbook recently for portable surfing. I installed the first release candidate of Windows 7 on it, and I have to confess: so far I really like Windows 7. XP, at least, is the first mainstream OS I think MS really got right and not just a bunch of hacks on top of MS-DOS. But 7 takes the experience to a new level. I don't plan on abandoning the Mac, but I know I enjoy my experience on Win 7 more than any MS OS I've used before, and I've used and supported just about all of them. (Except Vista. Vista sucks. It was a good idea pushed to prime time before it was ready. Windows 7, IMO, is Vista done right and then some.)

I dislike Vista, and my guess is I will dislike Windows 7 when it comes out in Oct. However, it is not because the operating system is unstable or anything like that. It was bad at first because of a lack of drivers. That has been corrected, and as 7 uses the same drivers, there should be no problems on that front.

I don't like Vista, because Vista changed too much. Things I am use to doing in XP, like setting up wireless are different in Vista. It may use the same menu but you find it in a different place. I don't like Vista nagging me 'are you sure' or 'Vista needs permission'. I know these are security screens, but they are a pain. Windows 7 is suppose to be better on that end.

If I were looking for a new laptop and could wait till Oct. I would. At least wait till they start offering the upgrade free. On that I think it posses an interesting choice for Netbook users. We run XP, the Netbook cost between 250 and 400 bucks, and Microsoft has priced Vista, and I assume 7, north of $200. I would make more since to buy a new Netbook than upgrade the operating system.

Thank you all for the advice. I need something for web surfing, e-mail and doing necessary business (banking, etc.) while traveling. It do not need a lot of bells and whistles. I will research all of your suggestions. A netbook computer might be just the thing for me. Maybe I have dismissed Apple and Vista too quickly. Some may recall from my last thread that I am expecting to be RVing full time before too long. Windows 7 is definitely possible if I don't buy a motorhome before October.

I just got back from a 2 week trip. I used an Asus 1000he. I would highly recommend it. The long battery life, and small light weight made it an ideal travel computer.

Notice 1000HE not HA. There are different 1000 models. HE is newer and has bigger batery.

I just got back from a 2 week trip. I used an Asus 1000he. I would highly recommend it. The long battery life, and small light weight made it an ideal travel computer.
That's the one I have. With XP, I can get over 8 hours of battery life on the energy saver mode with Bluetooth and the built-in camera disabled (wifi only). With the Windows 7 release candidate I get close to that as well, but a little less. For lighter duty stuff (web surfing, e-mail, basic Office-type stuff) it's perfectly capable and under $400. And though I do prefer Macs, this isn't a market or a price point that Apple is participating in.

I have an Asus EEE 1000he as well and I love it! Small, lightweight, incredible battery life, and a keyboard nearly 95% the size of a regular laptop keyboard. I wouldn't want to try editing a full length movie on it -- but I have used it for shorter video edits -- along with typical web surfing, email, Word & other Office apps. Small enough to carry in a tote bag, perfect for travel.

Works great...good price.

Several people who are running the Windows 7 beta tell me it is what Vista should have been. Comes out in October I think.

I'm running Windows 7 (release candidate 1) and its great. So much faster than Vista on the same PC. I dual booted vista home premium and Win7 on the same PC, so its a pretty accurate comparison.

If you can, I'd recommend holding out until Windows 7 is available on the laptop. I just read BestBuy is preparing to offer Win7 upgrades if you buy a Vista box.

I also am using Win 7 and have a bootleg copy (just got on Sat) of RC2, which will be publically available about Aug, it is a great operating system.

My advice:
1. Wait for Windows 7
2. Buy and ASUS or Lenovo with a solid state Hard Drive.

Computers to avoid are Dell and VAIO. Loaded with bloatware out the yazoo and lots of gimmicky junk to slow the system down.

On my current computer, a Dell XPS M1210 (yes, I made the mistake) I finally ripped the HD out and installed a Solid State HD and Windows RC2.

Boots from "powered off" in 14 seconds. Amazing.

EDIT: Vista has so many problems that MicroSoft is pretty close to frantic to get Win 7 out. They have supplied 10 times the number of RC copies than all previous versions combined. They are very aware of the frustrations consumers and business have with Vista. Vista is a horrible operating system. Win 7 keeps the good parts of Vista and bring back lots of XP feel.

Just MHO.

My advice:
1. Wait for Windows 7
2. Buy and ASUS or Lenovo with a solid state Hard Drive.

Re: #2 & hard drive - I'm waiting for a lenovo s10 to come out with Windows 7 to buy - Do know if that model will come out with a good size solid state hard drive or are you referring to a higher level model?

Right now I am using an ASUS eee with the Linix operating system. Great for web surfing and simple word and excel - Lightest of the bunch.

The Malaysian market usually get the slick new models about 4 months before we see them. And it appears that 128G is most likely the largest capacity that is priced even remotely with a laptop component price point.

ASUS is, BTW, the best maker of computer components like mother boards and non-gamer video cards. Good stuff.

I suspect Lenovo will put out a 128G SSHD with Vista and an upgrade certificate for Win 7. Maybe by Aug, as a semi-educated guess.

EDIT: Have you tried the KDE desktop on the EeePC, gosh I really like that interface. Like a simpler Vista, but done with about 1MB of code. Amazing how MS can bloat everything.

Re: #2 & hard drive - I'm waiting for a lenovo s10 to come out with Windows 7 to buy - Do know if that model will come out with a good size solid state hard drive or are you referring to a higher level model?

Right now I am using an ASUS eee with the Linix operating system. Great for web surfing and simple word and excel - Lightest of the bunch.

Right now I am using an ASUS eee with the Linux operating system. Great for web surfing and simple word and excel - Lightest of the bunch.

EDIT: Have you tried the KDE desktop on the EeePC, gosh I really like that interface. Like a simpler Vista, but done with about 1MB of code. Amazing how MS can bloat everything.

Dex, which Linux are you running? I got the ASUS EeePC901 recently, and after just a few days I got frustrated with the limitations of the supplied Xandros Linux. Even though a complete newbie in this area, I just installed Ubuntu NBR (netbook release). So far I am very impressed. The install was really easy, unfortunately, getting through some of the geek-speak only to discover that it actually *is* easy was a bit frustrating.

Browsing, open-office, all works fine. My main purchase reasons were:

A) Have a very small, cheap, portable computer available when the need arises (which it did on a recent long w/e trip).

B) I bought an ext USB drive. I plan on getting this set up to be my main music player. Once I get all my CDs loaded, and eventually my vinyl, I can have playlists set up for all my music. I am sure I will listen more than when I have to dig around and find the CDs in the stack.

I felt that $270 was a reasonable risk to take that this would all work out. So far, so good, but I have not had too much time to play with it. Can't do Netflix viewing at this time on Linux though, I was hoping for that. Hulu works OK.

Also, DW just ordered the new Apple 13" aluminum laptop. $1099 at edu pricing, and you get a full rebate on a $229 iPod Touch (which she really wanted after seeing my son's). $9.99 to upgrade to Snow Leopard OS later in the year. Snow Leopard is supposedly designed to be able to make much better use of the multi-core chips. It'll be interesting to see the benchmarks, but I get the feeling that Apple is a bit leaner-meaner and in a better position to make changes like this than Microsoft is. Maybe it's a small difference though, I dunno.

-ERD50

Dex, which Linux are you running? I got the ASUS EeePC901 recently, and after just a few days

ERD50,
I'm running what came with the ASUS. I have 1.2Gig of free space remaining and a 4G SD card installed. I tried using the control panel to do things - it is giberish to me.

The only things I miss are being able to download podcast while traveling (I do that at home and put them on my iPod). Right now I have about 35-40G of books, podcasts, music and photos on a 60G iPod.

The only other thing I can think of missing is being able to watch TV on my computer while traveling.

This little Asus 701 really is great for traveling.

Do you have a link for what you installed?

ERD50,
I'm running what came with the ASUS. I have 1.2Gig of free space remaining and a 4G SD card installed. I tried using the control panel to do things - it is giberish to me.

Do you have a link for what you installed?

One of the problems I had with the pre-installed Linux was, after I ran the suggested updates, it ran out of space on the 4GB system flash drive. That seemed crazy, and the fixes were a lot of gibberish to me. I also found out that many of the supplied programs are locked down, and it is difficult to remove them (maybe the companies paid to have them installed for advertising purposes?). That didn't make sense to me when you have a very limited system disk.

Ubuntu is very open, as Linux should be. I have not experimented that much, and when you run into problems, the fixes sometimes are buried in geek-speak (even though the fix may be simple). But it is fast and efficient it seems.

So, for Ubuntu, go here:

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu
Download Ubuntu Nebook Remix | Ubuntu
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromImgFiles

I did the install by downloading the file (overnight) on my iMac, and following the terminal commands to get the file checksum verified and copied to the USB thumb drive. Don't let the commands scare you, they are not as bad as they look.

Once it is on the USB thumb drive, you can boot your netbook from it (hold esc or F2 when booting), and you can try it out right from there, w/o making any changes to your computer or internal drives at all. But changes will not be saved. Then just choose install - the installer is easy.

You can always go back to the original by using the start up disks that came with your netbook (I have an external USB CD/DVD drive, so this is easy for me).

I've loaded a few programs and utilities, and I've got 1.3GB of the 4GB free. I have not used much of the 16GB space yet.

IMO, the Linux community needs more people to cut through the geek-speak. I think they are scaring users away. I find Linux easy to use, but when you need some info they talk in their language, seldom reference the GUI. I guess that makes sense for them, but they need translators for the rest of us. I've literal seen someone list 25 lines of terminal commands to do something, and later someone says something like "can't I just check the box in the window for that preference setting", answer is "Oh yeah, I guess that does the same thing".

If I get into this more, I'll start posting on those forums, but that will be a while.

I also tried the earlier version of the Eee-specific Ubuntu (eeebuntu.org), but the word is that this 9.04 Ubuntu version handles the eeePC so well native-ly (everything seems to work for me), that there is no need for the specialized version, and you can avoid waiting for them to do their add-ons. eeebuntu is still on 8.10.

I also set the preferences for "standard" desktop - more like a "regular" computer desktop. That gives you the option for multiple desktops, which helps keep things organized an uncluttered on a small screen.

-ERD50

Dex, if you stick with Linux, you might consider looking on Ebay for a keypunch terminal and some blank cards.

Seriously, downloading Ubuntu or my preference Kubuntu will give the computer a much better interface. And the command scripts are pretty easy to write. Usually 20-lines of "sudo bash...." and "modprobe...." will solve about any issue.

But a Lenovo S10 at $349 and a $139 GSkillz 64GB SSHD installed as an upgrade and download the Win 7 RC1. You got the hottest rig going.

Use the 32GB in a Rosewill $11 external 2.5 drive housing.

Varoom.

Back
Top Bottom