Join Early Retirement Today

Laptop help
Old 06-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Laptop help

I am not particularly computer savvy.

I need a new laptop, but almost all of the PC's on the market seem to include Vista, about which I have heard very few good things.

Don't want to pay for Apple.

Suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What type of tasks do you need the computer for?

You might be well served by a netbook computer which are inexpensive (less than $500) and run a slimmed down version of Windows XP.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Based on my (limited) personal experience with Vista, it would appear the bugs have been pretty much worked out. I bought a new laptop 4 months ago with Vista and, although it takes a little getting used to, I've not had any problems with it.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vista isn't all that bad and there are options in it to make it work like XP
Old 06-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #5

You could try this.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Administrator

I have been using Vista for quite some time, and I wouldn't go back to XP if you paid me. I like Vista a lot.

Every time Microsoft comes out with a new operating system, it gets trashed mercilessly for the first couple of years. XP got some terrible reports too, until people got used to it.

The thing is, with Vista you really need more RAM than with XP. Be sure to get at least 1 GB of RAM, or more.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
Don't want to pay for Apple.

Suggestions?
You don't want to pay for Apple, but is that what you want? I'm usually a cheapskate but I'm very happy I chose a MacBook Pro, YMMV.

I suggest thinking about Apple and trying to separate that from the cost.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #8

I just bought a new netbook for travel - $250 for an "Eee" - 1G memory, 160G disk, 2.8 lbs, 3 USB ports, 9" screen and Windows XP (I still hate Vista). Just finished loading all my normal stuff on - Office 2000, Media Player Classic w klcodecs for all media handling, Firefox, ZoneAlarm, Foxit for pdfs - everything works fine. Got onto my LAN with no configuration, handled my old USB DVD drive and hard drives just fine. Only had to add a mouse (I still hate touchpads too).
Old 06-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #9

I'm mostly a Mac bigot, but XP is a pretty decent OS (use it at work) and I bought a cheap EEE netbook recently for portable surfing. I installed the first release candidate of Windows 7 on it, and I have to confess: so far I really like Windows 7. XP, at least, is the first mainstream OS I think MS really got right and not just a bunch of hacks on top of MS-DOS. But 7 takes the experience to a new level. I don't plan on abandoning the Mac, but I know I enjoy my experience on Win 7 more than any MS OS I've used before, and I've used and supported just about all of them. (Except Vista. Vista sucks. It was a good idea pushed to prime time before it was ready. Windows 7, IMO, is Vista done right and then some.)
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 AM   #10

I dislike Vista, and my guess is I will dislike Windows 7 when it comes out in Oct. However, it is not because the operating system is unstable or anything like that. It was bad at first because of a lack of drivers. That has been corrected, and as 7 uses the same drivers, there should be no problems on that front.

I don't like Vista, because Vista changed too much. Things I am use to doing in XP, like setting up wireless are different in Vista. It may use the same menu but you find it in a different place. I don't like Vista nagging me 'are you sure' or 'Vista needs permission'. I know these are security screens, but they are a pain. Windows 7 is suppose to be better on that end.

If I were looking for a new laptop and could wait till Oct. I would. At least wait till they start offering the upgrade free. On that I think it posses an interesting choice for Netbook users. We run XP, the Netbook cost between 250 and 400 bucks, and Microsoft has priced Vista, and I assume 7, north of $200. I would make more since to buy a new Netbook than upgrade the operating system.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the advice. I need something for web surfing, e-mail and doing necessary business (banking, etc.) while traveling. It do not need a lot of bells and whistles. I will research all of your suggestions. A netbook computer might be just the thing for me. Maybe I have dismissed Apple and Vista too quickly. Some may recall from my last thread that I am expecting to be RVing full time before too long. Windows 7 is definitely possible if I don't buy a motorhome before October.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #12

I just got back from a 2 week trip. I used an Asus 1000he. I would highly recommend it. The long battery life, and small light weight made it an ideal travel computer.

Notice 1000HE not HA. There are different 1000 models. HE is newer and has bigger batery.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #13

Quote:
I need something for web surfing, e-mail and doing necessary business (banking, etc.) while traveling.
Check this thread Problems with internet cafes in Bolivia
Old 06-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I just got back from a 2 week trip. I used an Asus 1000he. I would highly recommend it. The long battery life, and small light weight made it an ideal travel computer.
That's the one I have. With XP, I can get over 8 hours of battery life on the energy saver mode with Bluetooth and the built-in camera disabled (wifi only). With the Windows 7 release candidate I get close to that as well, but a little less. For lighter duty stuff (web surfing, e-mail, basic Office-type stuff) it's perfectly capable and under $400. And though I do prefer Macs, this isn't a market or a price point that Apple is participating in.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #15

I have an Asus EEE 1000he as well and I love it! Small, lightweight, incredible battery life, and a keyboard nearly 95% the size of a regular laptop keyboard. I wouldn't want to try editing a full length movie on it -- but I have used it for shorter video edits -- along with typical web surfing, email, Word & other Office apps. Small enough to carry in a tote bag, perfect for travel.

Works great...good price.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Several people who are running the Windows 7 beta tell me it is what Vista should have been. Comes out in October I think.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:41 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Maybe I have dismissed Apple and Vista too quickly. .
Apple is a make of computer that uses Mac as an operating system,where as Vista is Microsoft's operating system for most other computers.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #18

I'm running Windows 7 (release candidate 1) and its great. So much faster than Vista on the same PC. I dual booted vista home premium and Win7 on the same PC, so its a pretty accurate comparison.

If you can, I'd recommend holding out until Windows 7 is available on the laptop. I just read BestBuy is preparing to offer Win7 upgrades if you buy a Vista box.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I also am using Win 7 and have a bootleg copy (just got on Sat) of RC2, which will be publically available about Aug, it is a great operating system.

My advice:
1. Wait for Windows 7
2. Buy and ASUS or Lenovo with a solid state Hard Drive.

Computers to avoid are Dell and VAIO. Loaded with bloatware out the yazoo and lots of gimmicky junk to slow the system down.

On my current computer, a Dell XPS M1210 (yes, I made the mistake) I finally ripped the HD out and installed a Solid State HD and Windows RC2.

Boots from "powered off" in 14 seconds. Amazing.

EDIT: Vista has so many problems that MicroSoft is pretty close to frantic to get Win 7 out. They have supplied 10 times the number of RC copies than all previous versions combined. They are very aware of the frustrations consumers and business have with Vista. Vista is a horrible operating system. Win 7 keeps the good parts of Vista and bring back lots of XP feel.

Just MHO.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX4sc40sw View Post

My advice:
1. Wait for Windows 7
2. Buy and ASUS or Lenovo with a solid state Hard Drive.
Re: #2 & hard drive - I'm waiting for a lenovo s10 to come out with Windows 7 to buy - Do know if that model will come out with a good size solid state hard drive or are you referring to a higher level model?

Right now I am using an ASUS eee with the Linix operating system. Great for web surfing and simple word and excel - Lightest of the bunch.