Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

PS. Eh, I am not sure I would attempt the rebuild of an old Onan RV genset, like I know some "old man" recently did.
I hear that "old man" also restored a 1971 VW Beetle last year! He must be crazy or have no friends (or both!)!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

See!

Nowadays, my endurance is a lot better with repairing electronics than oily and dirty mechanical parts.

I can do the former inside on my electrostatic-safe work bench, in the comfort of AC, instead of crawling around on the garage floor and getting my hands, face, and clothes all soiled from dirt and grease.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Every boot ISO is not capable of booting every model computer. There may be additional parameters you need to specify. Much time can be invested.
If the computer has 2 memory modules, research how to remove 1 at a time, and see if you dodge the freeze after running for a while.
It does have 2 memory sticks. Is it possible to 'remove'(deactivate one) without physically removing?
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #104

Quote:
I root for Omni550.

Don't forget that she was an engineer. And although a ME and not an EE, she successfully revived a large LCD TV that someone discarded.

Omni550 is my heroine.

If engineers threw in the towel so easily, we would not have the technologies we do now.

PS. I never did have this problem launching Memtest86. By the way, it can be run from Windoz, if I remember correctly.
Let's not forget my successful diagnose and repair of my leaking Florida dishwasher. Lol
Old 05-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
See!

Nowadays, my endurance is a lot better with repairing electronics than oily and dirty mechanical parts.

I can do the former inside on my electrostatic-safe work bench, in the comfort of AC, instead of crawling around on the garage floor and getting my hands, face, and clothes all soiled from dirt and grease.
New auto parts are not dirty and oily . Believe it or not, that old man had a successful computer repair business between 1996 and the late 2000's when it was sold. Repaired many laptops and desktops and installed network wiring, routers, switchgear, etc.

Honestly, today's laptops are thinner and more complex with more hard feature chips on the motherboards making them more disposable. Add the nonsense of Win 10 and all the possible software issues that can pop up, it's sometimes more efficient to replace a machine rather than go through hours of troubleshooting to maybe figure it out.

A repair shop would have a configured disk or flash drive that was loaded with routines to run a quick hardware test. If no problems surfaced, they would do a reinstall of Windows and see what happens. All of this would be about $200 and you may get lucky. If they had to replace RAM or a hard drive, the cost would be in addition to the $200. If not, they would recommend a new laptop.

Nowadays, We run two aged desktops and a Chromebook. DW has an Ipad. Laptops are sitting in the closet gathering dust.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Yes, I changed the order in BIOS...and heard the CD spinning along with a small green indicator light on the CD cartridge.

Trial #2 ended in a freeze at 36 minutes.

Stepping back a little..... There may be a problem booting from the CD. This is not confirmation of a successful boot - i.e. you will not enter the familiar Win 10 desktop environment, instead there will be a different booting process where the Linux desktop contained on the CD appears. Just checking.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It does have 2 memory sticks. Is it possible to 'remove'(deactivate one) without physically removing?
Sorry, I don't know of a way to deactivate installed memory. It is not difficult.
One benefit is that you may find reinstalling module makes a difference.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Depending on the laptop, the RAM chips may or may not be located in the same area. I currently own two laptops. One has the chips located in same area. The other has one chip located by unscrewing a small back door and the other chip located under the keyboard.

In either case, before taking out a chip, be sure to unplug power and remove laptop battery.
easysurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

I would have gone with a new laptop about 87 posts ago.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Laptop issue, might need a new one
Old 05-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Laptop issue, might need a new one

4 years is pretty good for a laptop! My satellite died it was weird - some known issue where it suddenly locks you out when you have never made a password. It was so old and slow I just bought a new one. The satellites did have a problem with ventilation so it would run hot. Now I do all my emails online and back up files regularly!
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Depending on the laptop, the RAM chips may or may not be located in the same area. I currently own two laptops. One has the chips located in same area. The other has one chip located by unscrewing a small back door and the other chip located under the keyboard.

In either case, before taking out a chip, be sure to unplug power and remove laptop battery.
Both chips are side by side. Access is by removing the entire bottom cover, which incudes battery removal.

I haven't given up on running Memtest86 yet. [emoji16]
Old 05-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

I have to admit omni, you are tenacious.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Both chips are side by side. Access is by removing the entire bottom cover, which incudes battery removal.

I haven't given up on running Memtest86 yet. [emoji16]
Looks like the challenge is almost getting fun for you now .
Old 05-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #114

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. Thanks.

Still can't get Memtest86 to run....even downloading from a different site...

Brain is tired. Taking a break for the rest of the evening.

(Starting to feel a bit like Edison...when he said he'd "found 1000 items that wouldn't work as a filament" )

---

I did find some guy who posted on tenforum.com (for Win10 issues) about a year ago with seemingly the same laptop freezing issue on a different brand of laptop. There are more than 11 pages of "try this, do that, run xyz, etc..". I'm not sure what/if anything did the trick, as he posted 4 days ago that the issue seems to have recurred. He's in a hot part of the country, so it may be a heat-related issue in his case.

omni
Old 05-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. Thanks.

Still can't get Memtest86 to run....even downloading from a different site...

Brain is tired. Taking a break for the rest of the evening.

(Starting to feel a bit like Edison...when he said he'd "found 1000 items that wouldn't work as a filament" )

---

I did find some guy who posted on tenforum.com (for Win10 issues) about a year ago with seemingly the same laptop freezing issue on a different brand of laptop. There are more than 11 pages of "try this, do that, run xyz, etc..". I'm not sure what/if anything did the trick, as he posted 4 days ago that the issue seems to have recurred. He's in a hot part of the country, so it may be a heat-related issue in his case.

omni
You can't get Memtest86 to boot properly? As mentioned in a previous post, not everything boots on all computers. I've had that trying to boot supposedly bootable CD/DVDs with my Dell laptop.

You may end up having to try the one RAM stick at a time approach. It's very unlikely that both would bad at the same time. So you try running with one at a time and hope (to isolate) that one makes your computer stop, and the other not.

If each RAM stick works when run individually, then looks like RAM is okay and back to the drawing board.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not that I know of. Usually physically removing them is straightforward: turn off power, ground yourself, move the little clips to the side, and the memory module will usually pop up (they're sort of spring loaded). Reinstallation is reverse of removal, just make sure the little gold contacts are fully and squarely seated before trying to snap the module back down - if you don't get it right the little side clips usually won't click back in completely. Oh, and there is often a rounded notch in the center of the memory module on the same edge as the gold contacts - it is slightly off center so that it can only be installed in the correct orientation.

Windows should be able to cope with the memory being removed and added between powerups, although it may run more slowly with less memory, and you may get a message saying something like "Hey, I noticed that the amount of memory changed" which you can ignore.

I like the idea of removing one, running for a while, then running with the other one for a while.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

If testing by removing one RAM stick at a time, hopefully, one RAM stick will work and the other will fail. If that happens, then you've found the culprit as a bad RAM stick.

On the other hand, if the laptop still stops with each RAM stick tested independently, then that doesn't isolate the problem as the issue can still be something else and not bad RAM.

If the laptop works with each RAM stick tested independently, then there is even a bigger mystery .
Old 05-29-2018, 07:49 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

I tried blowing compressed air through all the holes I could see in the case...very little dust came out. But based on photos I've seen, sometimes the dust accumulates in certain internal areas and won't hardly budge.

I still think the issue is overheating, even if some software told you it was not.

Blowing into the machine, simply will pack in the dust, I use a vaccum to suck out the dust/hair/bugs/etc rather than push it farther in.

Best would be to open the case, then you could blow the dust off.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #119

I think this is one of the most entertaining threads I've seen for a while. Thank you omni550 for not giving up
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Omni550 is not one that gives up easily.

In the thread where she asked for help to resurrect a large LCD TV, not too many posters could offer advice. It was because the problem was more specific to a particular model of a particular brand, and it was not as generic as PC problems.

Yet, she emerged triumphant later, using resources outside of this forum.

Omni550 is a true engineer in my book. If and when she throws in the towel, we know for sure that this laptop is hopeless. But it is not at that point.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote