laptop or something else

I read a few articles yesterday about the surface 2 tablet from MS. It appears to be a better device hands-down. The number and types of devices like keyboard which can be purchased separately are also impressive.

Where it lacks, at least for now, is in the number of apps. And I think there is some caution in the market about MS, and this product line just failing.

The keyboard thing (do you need one or not) really seems to be a prime mover from here forward. I came to that conclusion when the idea of getting one for F-I-L arose. I think that if the keyboard integrates well, then he might be able to use it.

There also are very nice netbooks and lighter notebooks at this time. Since this field of devices is wide open at this time, I'd focus on the key functions you need, rather than what others have/prefer.

Surface 2 uses more powerful ARM chip, has better screen but high price. Not sure if they're including the keyboard or if you still have to buy it separately.

Surface Pro 2 uses more power-efficient chips so it improves battery life over the original Surface Pro. Problem here is size and weight though as well as price which puts it into premium notebook range.

For tablet use, it's heavier than iPad and Android tablets.

But if you want a jack of all trades, master of none, it's a good compromise.

You can get a Windows laptop and a tablet for about the same price.

As for financials, I have a Vanguard app. for my iPad (though I can't download Quicken files like I can from their website on a PC or Mac). I also have spreadsheets in Google Drive, as well as Numbers and iCloud.

There is Quicken and Turbo Tax as well for iPad but I don't use them.

I view spreadsheets on the iPad but rarely edit them there. Instead, I do it on my laptop and sync it to iCloud or Google Drive.

MS is rumored to have iPad and Android versions of Office ready but are holding them back to try to get people to buy Surface. That's a double-edged sword. They may get some people to buy Surface for Office but then again, the longer they hold it from iPad and Android, the more people will look at alternatives and learn to do without Office on their tablets.

You dan't beat an ipad IMO. Wait a few weeks snd a brand new one is about to hit the mstket.
I love my iPad and use it a lot. But, for many people it can't be a complete substitute for a laptop. If you want to use software that doesn't run on an iPad then you can beat an iPad.

Agree with Katsmeow - I tell people, IMO the iPad (or other tablets) are fantastic at what they do, but they don't do everything. If that fits your needs, fine, but be aware.

95% of what I do on my laptop/desktop could be done on a tablet. But then when I get into a large spreadsheet, or I want to do some detailed graphics work, I want my full-scale desktop apps.

When I get a tablet, I expect it will be an Android. DW already has an iPad, but I'm super-frustrated with Apples unnecessary forced obsolescence policy for their app store. I've posted about it before - they only allow one version of any app on the store, so when they update the iOS, and the developer updates their apps for that version, the old version is gone. So if your not-so-old device can't load the latest iOS versions, the app store quickly becomes populated with apps you can't use. I realize an older device may not be have the capabilities to support newer apps and features, but they should leave the older apps available. This is enough of an issue for me that I just don't care to buy an iPad. I like to keep the older devices to use for less demanding tasks, and this policy often makes that impossible.

Here's an interesting development: As tablets get more powerful, they really can have enough power for desktop apps for many of us. So I just googled, and found that you can run Linux on an Android device. This would be great for me, as I could run LibreOffice and GIMP (OS graphics program, photo-shop-like) just like I do under Linux (Xubuntu distro), and still have the tablet convenience. I might actually want to do the opposite, run Android within Linux, which I think can also be done. It's unlikely you will get this flexibility from Apple.

What is LinuxonAndroid? : LinuxonAndroid

-ERD50

You dan't beat an ipad IMO. Wait a few weeks snd a brand new one is about to hit the mstket.

I've gotta preface this - just pulling your leg, don't get upset:

It sure looks like the spell checker and/or typing input on the iPad can be beat! :LOL:

-ERD50

Before I bought my Nexus 7 a few days ago, I thought quite a bit about how I would use it. I just want to be able to get away from my upright position at my desktop PC and lounge while reading. It will also be handy on the occasional trip where wifi is available. I don't have LFE access and don't want the monthly costs (although we could afford it).

Tablet technology is moving so fast I don't think it very money wise to buy an expensive one. But that is really just a quibble and sometimes I drive myself crazy optimizing costs. I like touch typing and have to give it up to do ugly hunt and peck when on the tablet. One can use audio which I'm just trying out now. That is probably only good for search lookups. But maybe others have tablet input ideas I haven't thought of?

I still love the touch typing and mouse for my PC. No intention of giving that up.

Here's an interesting development: As tablets get more powerful, they really can have enough power for desktop apps for many of us. So I just googled, and found that you can run Linux on an Android device. This would be great for me, as I could run LibreOffice and GIMP (OS graphics program, photo-shop-like) just like I do under Linux (Xubuntu distro), and still have the tablet convenience. I might actually want to do the opposite, run Android within Linux, which I think can also be done. It's unlikely you will get this flexibility from Apple.

What is LinuxonAndroid? : LinuxonAndroid

-ERD50

I don't think it works yet. You need a ARM based kernel/distro to load onto a rooted device. There has been an ARM branch in the kernel development ( you can compile an ARM kernel ) but I think it's still mostly beta.

debian had an ARM distro and ubuntu might have one also

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/598228-4-fine-linux-arm-distros-

People who'd install Linux on tablets are like people who'd install Linux on PCs.

VEry small niche. Tablets are selling in the tens of millions every month. So a lot of the users are children, housewives, grandparents, etc.

IOW, people who aren't going to bother tinkering to run GIMP.

They have already but don't realize it, Android is a linux system. Most standard apps like LibreOffice just have not been ported over to the ARM architecture . They are working it though.

But Android device comes with the OS and the Dalvik stack already installed and configured, along with a lot of apps.

It would be a different thing for people to root their Android device and install some Linux distribution from scratch, then download applications from different places, unless the Firefox thing takes off and they have a centralized apps. repository like the Play store.

There's a certain niche of the population who will tinker and the rest will use their devices stock, other than downloading certain apps and setting teh wallpaper.

A lot more people will get cases and put stickers on them to personalize their devices but installing an alternate OS?

I would defend with my (virtual) life ERD50's right to linux. In another incarnation I was a unix guy and remember fondly the vi and emacs editors.

But this thread is about mainstream alternatives for machines as I understand it. Let's consider a new thread on the non-mainstream stuff. :)

I use a shell every day for work.

But I don't expect to use it on my iPad, though there are apps. out there for ssh and so on.

I have an android tablet - it's old and no longer made (moto xoom) - but I love it.

I was an early adopter - and was able to download a bunch of free apps through the amazon app of the day that make it highly functional: officesuitePro, printershare, etc..

My husband has one also - and can pre-load architectural drawings before going to client meetings so he can pull up the latest rev when dealing with contractors or clients, engineers, or clients. And while on job sites - use the camera to take pictures.

I used it for a long trip to Italy 2 years ago, did banking, checked work email, watched videos, read books, offloaded cameras, used the maps, used mytracks. It was awesome!!!

I run an IT department for a medium-sized hospital. We've deployed about 80 Chomebooks, and they've been great. If you don't need to use your machine away from a WiFi signal, they're hard to beat. 2.5 pounds, nice keyboard, 100GB of Google Drive space, decent 11" screen and 6-8 hrs or battery life for $250. But they're not very useful with a slow or non-existent WiFi connection.

I love my iPad and use it a lot. But, for many people it can't be a complete substitute for a laptop. If you want to use software that doesn't run on an iPad then you can beat an iPad.

The OP ruled out a laptop since its too bulky. This thread is about the best tablet due to their ease of use and small size. My iPad runs lots of apps, plus windows excel and word, adobe reader and can even view ACAD drawings. It's a convenient web surfing machine and reader. It syncs with all my calendars and family photos on the family cloud so the entire family can share files and photos.

The OP ruled out a laptop since its too bulky. This thread is about the best tablet due to their ease of use and small size. ...

You are correct. I think the thread title has been throwing some of us off. When we come back, we see 'laptop or something else' and think in terms of tablets vs laptop.

Looking back at the OP, it doesn't seem like he wants to do any heavy lifting on this device, so just about any tablet can fit the bill. He really needs to give more specifics, I think, to get better reccs. Want to connect to a TV, store lots of music, use a BT keyboard, etc.

-ERD50

You are correct. I think the thread title has been throwing some of us off. When we come back, we see 'laptop or something else' and think in terms of tablets vs laptop.

Looking back at the OP, it doesn't seem like he wants to do any heavy lifting on this device, so just about any tablet can fit the bill. He really needs to give more specifics, I think, to get better reccs. Want to connect to a TV, store lots of music, use a BT keyboard, etc.

-ERD50

I think he did. He wants web access for travel.

I have an Asus Transformer and think it is fabulous for travel, coffeehouse use, etc. You can use it as a pad or easily click it into the integrated keyboard for a netbook effect. Very long battery life, and I can type as easily on the keyboard as on a full size laptop.

Back
Top Bottom