Join Early Retirement Today

laptop or something else
Old 09-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

laptop or something else

I have been traveling quite a bit lately and have to carry a laptop for my part time job. I also carry my personal laptop. I would like to find something that would be smaller and would cover my basic requirements. checking my accounts, email, reading this site, local paper. maybe something like surface. I noticed reading this site that a lot of you use tablets. do you have recommendations on brands, operating systems, models? thanks

frank

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Kindle Fire and it works well for many of those functions. The downsides to me are that I dislike typing on its virtual keyboard and I'm not keen on the limitations on Android that Amazon has built into it so I couldn't recommend it.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I recently bought a Nook HD Plus for $150 at Walmart (not sure if still available). It does everything you'd want running the Android system and accessing Google Play for apps.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook...ble/1110060512
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There was a thread on Chromebooks earlier this year with opinions on that option. I'd intended to get a tablet and still may but the Chromebook is a nice halfway option and not too expensive. Very light, about the weight of iPad 1.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have an iPad and love it, it will do everything described in the OP. I use it far more than our desktop PC or our laptop now.

Microsoft's Surface (Pro) has it's appeal, but I wonder if they will ever reach critical mass as they were very late to the game - so far that's not clear.

Android tablets seem to have gained traction too, but I have very little experience with them...maybe someone else could comment there.

It seems tablets have all but killed off the netbook niche. Here's one of many articles The Netbook is Dead. The iPad Killed It - Businessweek, but I assume netbooks will retain some niche.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #6

they are coming out with a new surface with the attachable keyboard. anyone know anything about them?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #7

Your choice of hardware should be dictated by the software you want to use. If you want to run Windows programs, get a Surface Pro, otherwise one of the other tablets may be an option.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Microsoft's Surface (Pro) has it's appeal, but I wonder if they will ever reach critical mass
As a Windows user and a cheapskate it is more an issue of critical price for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
they are coming out with a new surface with the attachable keyboard. anyone know anything about them?
Here is a link to a discussion on that very topic -
Fall 2013 Windows Tablet Preview - Computers and Software - Escapees Discussion Forum
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
There was a thread on Chromebooks earlier this year with opinions on that option. I'd intended to get a tablet and still may but the Chromebook is a nice halfway option and not too expensive. Very light, about the weight of iPad 1.
I have an iPad 1 and a cheap Acer Chromebook, used solely for financial transactions. I was going to get another new iPad, but now I think I am just going to get a Samsung chromebook with the strong battery. They seem so much quicker downloading Internet, plus I won't have to deal with fingerprint smudges and being kicked out of a site, which annoys me. They have these neat little stands now that swing over the couch or chair, and I will just lay it on the. I already just bought a 7 inch table for travel.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #10

I have an iPad mini that I just love. I chose that over a regular iPad because of the size and weight difference. I tried my son's iPad for about 20 minutes and found that it got to be very heavy and I needed 2 hands or a lap or table. The mini is much easier to hold with one hand and I love the view size.

I thought I would dislike the keyboard but I got used to it very quickly.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an iPad 1 which I use almost exclusively (have a laptop too) and it works well for all those things you mentioned. The keyboard might take some getting used to, if it's not the kind of thing you're accustomed to.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

I have an ipad (the third version) and have a Logitech cover which converts to a keyboard. This works great for web surfing, reading Kindle books and stuff like that.

However, it really depends on what software you want to use. I find that the iPad doesn't let me do two things that I want to do. First, I sometimes need to read redlined Word documents and it doesn't work for that. (There may be apps you can buy to work around that but I don't want to have to buy them). Second, I can't play World of Warcraft on my iPad.

I am now looking at convertible notebooks (Windows 8) that enable you to have a small light notebook that can convert to a tablet. Right now, a lot of manufacturers are coming out with new ones so the options will be better in a month or two.

The Dell XPS 12 is nice. Also the Lenovo Yoga Pad 2 (announced but not on sale yet) looks very nice.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

I have the latest version of iPad that I travel with. I use it mainly to text, email, browse the web, some work with pages and numbers. It's all I need
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I like my Kindle Fire HD for travel. Would like a keyboard but once you add that it starts getting to be laptop size so I live with the swype keyboard. I don't like how Amazon limits the platform but haven't found too many limitations. I found a utility that can convert google play apps not otherwise found on Amazon into an app that can be run on the kindle.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #15

I have a surface pro and it is perfect for me. Mostly because I have some Windows software I wanted to have on the go, and It is pretty much a duplicate of my desktop in a tiny little package. The stylus is also great. Writes like a fine tip pen, not the clumsy capacitive "fingertip" handwriting that my iPad has.

I only wish I had waited for the Surface 2 to come out.

SIS
Old 09-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #16

I use my iPad with Logitech keyboard almost exclusively at home, and exclusively when I travel. I even have the HDMI adapter so that I can watch programs, movies, etc on TV's in hotels and houses that we rent.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I have been traveling quite a bit lately and have to carry a laptop for my part time job. I also carry my personal laptop. I would like to find something that would be smaller and would cover my basic requirements. checking my accounts, email, reading this site, local paper. maybe something like surface. I noticed reading this site that a lot of you use tablets. do you have recommendations on brands, operating systems, models? thanks

frank
I'm reading this on a nexus 7 at Starbucks. Costs $229. Only weighs 0.7 lbs.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

We have a full size IPad, and Nexus7. We love them, and the old laptop is put as away somewhere.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #19

My prime device is a 10" Nexus. Bought it just before going to AUS/NZ earlier this year, and it has served me very well.

I have access to several other notebooks, but have pretty much given them up. The old 17" HP notebook is on top of the TV cabinet, and serves up Netflix and other items to the TV.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #20

We always used a laptop/notebook until we decided to travel for nine months.

We decide to buy an ipad. After 12 months of use I can say that we will never buy another laptop. Next purchase will be another ipad or ipad look a like. Why...weight, space, convenience, charge time....you name it.

I was reluctant. DW was insistent. She was oh so right. The reason that we need another is that I just about have to pry it our of her clenched hands whenever I need it. Yes is was more expensive...but worth it IMHO.