Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

That was an issue that affected their consumer line-up. Their ThinkPad business laptops were unaffected.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
I have SCOTTeVEST outerwear and wear slip on shoes when traveling by air. No belts (or at least not ones with metal buckles). I just remove my outerwear and shoes and I'm ready for the body scanner. Also makes it easy to retrieve my stuff. No need to put lots of small items back in my pockets. I also have a TSA-friendly laptop backpack that can be partially unzipped so the laptop lays flat for the scanner.
That SCOTTeVEST looks nice. When flying on the way back, I was more prepared and put most of the stuff from my pockets into a ziploc bag then just put the bag in my laptop bag for screening. At least that way, all my pocket stuff was in one location.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post

We also changed to OpenOffice (free) to do all the stuff we used to use Microsoft Office for to avoid buying Office for Mac. Very happy there as well.
+1

It is a good product overall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My MacBook is 8 years old, runs the current operating system, and while slower than modern machines, does everything its hardware allows it to do.

I also replaced the HD doubling my storage. I had FREE help and advice from an Apple Genius who diagnosed the HD problem and told me how I could fix it myself. I also doubled the memory at that time. All for about $100.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I e never had a virus or malware on my Macs either.

However, I occasionally run Clam AV.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
At that price point this is as good a deal as you are likely to find:
Thanks. We ended up picking out a similar lenovo (ideapad 100) for mil. It has crappier display/integrated graphics but I don't think MIL would notice the difference.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My MacBook is 8 years old, runs the current operating system, and while slower than modern machines, does everything its hardware allows it to do.

I also replaced the HD doubling my storage. I had FREE help and advice from an Apple Genius who diagnosed the HD problem and told me how I could fix it myself. I also doubled the memory at that time. All for about $100.
About a year ago, my wife stopped using her MacBook (Unibody, late 2008) because it was getting "too slow" and the battery was mostly shot. I upped its RAM from 2 GB to the maximum of 8 GB, replaced the hard drive with a 250 GB SSD and purchased a new aftermarket battery (a brand that's pretty highly regarded at about 1/3 the cost of an Apple replacement).

For about a $200 investment, it's like a whole new computer and feels like it has a few strong years of service left. The new battery is running strong and still goes for 4+ hours on a charge. It still runs the newest OS and all the software just fine -- as long as I'm not playing graphics-intensive games it's still up to the task for almost anything.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:03 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Lenovo ThinkPad T430S 3rd Gen Core i5 2 60GHz 8GB RW 128GB SSD Win 7 Pro Camera | eBay

Here's a Thinkpad that won't break the bank. I would upgrade this to Win 10 and get an external HD (usb3)

I prefer to buy laptops that's one or two years old for about $200-$400. After a couple of years, I buy another used laptop to replace the old ones and pass that on to family and friends.

I have had friends who wanted to purchase the latest and the fastest and spend a couple of thousand for features they didn't need or knew how to use. They're stuck with the computer for 8-10 years.

Computing technology moves very quickly and, unfortunately, it depreciates just as quick. So, save your money instead...
Old 03-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I have a T410s that is similarly equipped.... i5, 128 GB SSD, but with 4GB RAM. I like it... have had it for about 3 years IIRC....the s in the T410s stands for solid-state drive which is very quick to boot up. Good sized screen, and Lenovo T-series excellent keyboard and durability.

The only complaint that I have with mine is that it sometimes overheats when viewing videos and the laptop then shuts down, which is annoying.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have a T410s that is similarly equipped.... i5, 128 GB SSD, but with 4GB RAM. I like it... have had it for about 3 years IIRC....the s in the T410s stands for solid-state drive which is very quick to boot up. Good sized screen, and Lenovo T-series excellent keyboard and durability.

The only complaint that I have with mine is that it sometimes overheats when viewing videos and the laptop then shuts down, which is annoying.
The "s" in T430s stands for slim. I have had T410 but not a T410s and there's definitely a difference in features.

My T430s runs very cool especially with SSD. Have not had any problems with mine at all. You might be having vent/fan problems. You might want to google it to see if that's a common problem with that model. I purchased a used Thinkpad one time and it was overheating. Good thing it was still under warranty. Lenovo promptly fixed it and got it back like new.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:47 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneehigh View Post
Here's a Thinkpad that won't break the bank. .....
Even better... $230 from a more recognized provider

Refurb LENOVO T410 CORE I5-2.4GHz Processor, 4GB memory, 128GB SSD Hard drive, DVDRW, 14.1 Display, Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Staples®

Includes 1 year warranty from Staples... I wonder if you pay with your credit card if the warranty would be extended to two years?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:01 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Even better... $230 from a more recognized provider

Refurb LENOVO T410 CORE I5-2.4GHz Processor, 4GB memory, 128GB SSD Hard drive, DVDRW, 14.1 Display, Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Staples®

Includes 1 year warranty from Staples... I wonder if you pay with your credit card if the warranty would be extended to two years?
Not bad... if the screen size doesn't matter (resolution 1600 x 900), then this is not a bad deal. Personally I prefer the T430s but this will do.... for $230 and a warranty? Hard to beat that.

Just saw this for $375, T430s with an ssd:

http://www.staples.com/Refurb-Lenovo...roduct_1523716
Old 03-05-2016, 06:30 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I e never had a virus or malware on my Macs either.

However, I occasionally run Clam AV.
I've never had them on my PC's, at least since Win7. But I do run AV software, just in case. That's much less of a Mac/PC differentiator than it used to be...
Old 03-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #53

I splurged and bought a light ultrabook about a year ago and absolutely love it. It has traveled everywhere with me and has held up well. I get 6-7 hours of battery life depending on what I'm doing. The Acer UX303 though I'm sure there's a follow up model by now.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I splurged and bought a light ultrabook about a year ago and absolutely love it. It has traveled everywhere with me and has held up well. I get 6-7 hours of battery life depending on what I'm doing. The Acer UX303 though I'm sure there's a follow up model by now.
I suspect you mean Asus? I have its sister, the UX305.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudd View Post
I suspect you mean Asus? I have its sister, the UX305.
Yes, I did mean Asus.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Yes, I did mean Asus.
I bought a Lenovo at Costco last month and took it back after three sessions with India reloading the graphics driver in various Beta versions. It locked up, the screen was a touch screen but the resolution was not great. I believe it got hot and the battery never got over 98% charged.

Thank you Costco return policy. I am looking at the ASUS
ASUS Zenbook UX303UB Touchscreen Laptop | Intel Core i7 | 2GB Graphics | Quad HD+ | Windows 10 | 1 Year Accidental Damage Protection

I like the chip, the graphics, the HD screen, the ram, the SS drive all for less than $1K.

I was concerned about quality of the case and hinge, it is good to hear from some that own one.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

If anyone is interested in the 13" Asus Zenbook, the Microsoft store has the previous generation for $599.

8 MB RAM
256 GB SSD
Intel Core M-5Y10
1920x1080 nontouch display.

Buy ASUS ZenBook UX305FA-USM1 Signature Edition Laptop - Microsoft Store

Review here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...drange-laptop/
Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

OK I took the plunge and bought the ASUS on sale at Costco. For a little more$ the RAM and Hard Drive was worth the difference plus the step up to latest iCore 7. Big plus to get a very high res touch screen and 2GB graphic card. Also great to have the Costco return policy in case it is a poor choice like the one I returned.

Processor & Memory:
Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor 2.5GHz
12GB DDR3L RAM

Drives:
512GB Solid State Drive
No Optical Drive

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10

Communications:
Intel® 7265 AC (2x2 AC, 867 Mbps) + Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated HD Webcam

Graphics & Video:
13.3" Touchscreen IPS Quad HD+ (3200 x 1800) Display
2GB NVIDIA GT 940M Graphics
Old 03-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyras View Post
OK I took the plunge and bought the ASUS on sale at Costco. For a little more$ the RAM and Hard Drive was worth the difference plus the step up to latest iCore 7. Big plus to get a very high res touch screen and 2GB graphic card. Also great to have the Costco return policy in case it is a poor choice like the one I returned.

Processor & Memory:
Intel® Core™ i7-6500U Processor 2.5GHz
12GB DDR3L RAM

Drives:
512GB Solid State Drive
No Optical Drive

Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 10

Communications:
Intel® 7265 AC (2x2 AC, 867 Mbps) + Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated HD Webcam

Graphics & Video: