Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Obgyn, Dallas ran from 1978 to 1991, I'm pretty sure in the 10:00 EST time slot. It wasn't exactly a family show. You were probably sleeping or doing homework wherever you lived while that was on (I know my kids were, who I think are just a few years younger than you, and who would have been bored to death with it anyway. Although DH and I enjoyed it).
Growing up in an upper-middle class single TV household, I was forced to watch Dallas with my parents when I was bored. Although, having spent a bit of time w/ my grandparents, you could say that my interests and maturity level weren't like my peers. As such, I appreciated some of the shows, and remember the big hooplah over "who shot JR", and the various other cliff-hangers they introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
However, over thanksgiving I stayed home and I have tried to immerse myself more in the US popular culture by watching "Divorce Court" , "Judge Judy" and the "Maury show". Also watched some football as I am learning the rules. As you can see, I am trying to make some progress. :-)
As others have suggested, you're going from one extreme (keeping clean from the mind-numbing idiocy on the airwaves) to the other extreme (jumping into the deep end). Just promise that you'll sample some other quality shows before immediately writing us off as a completely hopeless nation....there is a shred of hope left!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
DW and I used to have Dallas watch parties with our neighbors back in the early 80s. Very sorry to see Larry pass, we enjoyed him immensely.
+1
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
To better understand this crowd, I might suggest the following TV shows. Well, these are some of my old favorites anyway!

- Andy Griffith Show
- Mary Tyler Moore Show
- Sonny and Cher Variety Hour
- Leave it to Beaver
- All in the Family
- Happy Days
- The Honeymooners
- Taxi
- Sienfeld
- WKRP in Cincinnati
- Cheers
I watched many of the Dallas episodes - always loves how devious JR was. Watched most of the shows Purron lists also.
I remember watching "Lost in Space" as a kid. Man I wanted that robot real bad......Danger, Danger Will Robertson!! Just shoot Mr. Smith already.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #24

No Twinkies and no Dallas for me. Now, Jeannie was a different story entirely.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed him most in I Dream of Jeannie.

Dallas was hugely popular in Europe. When my brother visited with his Austrian girlfriend, the first question her parents asked was "So who shot JR?"
Old 11-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Growing up in an upper-middle class single TV household, I was forced to watch Dallas with my parents when I was bored. Although, having spent a bit of time w/ my grandparents, you could say that my interests and maturity level weren't like my peers. As such, I appreciated some of the shows, and remember the big hooplah over "who shot JR", and the various other cliff-hangers they introduced.(snip)
I'm another who didn't watch Dallas either during the original broadcasts or in re-runs. But I do remember the hooplah over who shot JR. Wasn't that the first season-ending cliffhanger episode in network TV?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Am I the only one here who has never watched a single episode of "Dallas" ?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRoller
I almost never missed a show when it was on. (Have them all on DVD's now) JR (Hagman) made the show.
I watched the first few years of the show, but probably being an odd ball, I was a big fan of its spin off "Knots Landing", and never missed an episode of it. Oddly enough, Knots Landing lasted longer than the original Dallas did.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
How could I have forgotten Green Acres?
I'd also add Mr. Ed too . One of my favorite episodes was the one with Clint Eastwood when he pays Wilbur a visit thinking Wilbur is a crank caller.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

On our way back from MO yesterday, we heard about his death. I hear folks are leaving flowers at Southfork Ranch. It's only five minutes from our house...I really should go there and take a few pics. However, my hiney is still worn out from our trip.

Maybe tomorrow.

...and yes, I watched Dallas. Loved it.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Football is good, the rest .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Those are part of the culture you could leave off...
Aw, c'mon guys. Judge Judy is a scream!

Her Honor is the epitome of an "in your face" Noo Yawk woman. Hmmmm....why does that sound soooo familiar ?